Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:36 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

This was an extremely close race. Would Romney have had a better chance of winning if he had been a garden variety Chistian? How many evangelical voters stayed home rather than vote for a Morman, despite him getting Billy Graham's endorsement? The platform's social stance turned off many moderates, but that is usually balanced by the evangelicals and I don't think that happened this time. I know at least 2 people who did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This was an extremely close race. Would Romney have had a better chance of winning if he had been a garden variety Chistian? How many evangelical voters stayed home rather than vote for a Morman, despite him getting Billy Graham's endorsement? The platform's social stance turned off many moderates, but that is usually balanced by the evangelicals and I don't think that happened this time. I know at least 2 people who did this.
How do you figure 303 to 206 is "close"?

You know 2 people who did this? wow, isn't that a majority!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
How do you figure 303 to 206 is "close"?

You know 2 people who did this? wow, isn't that a majority!
It was close in the popular vote. I'm not saying it is a majority, I was just wondering if people felt it was a contributing factor. I think it was a factor for some people, mainly members of the Religious Right. Obviously you don't.

Yeah, two people admitted it. I think there may have been a bit of religious Bradley Effect going on.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
It was nowhere near close when it came to deciding the election (electoral points).

However, I think the crazy Republican Senators talking about legitimate rape and rape children a part of God's will motivated more women to vote for Obama.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It was nowhere near close when it came to deciding the election (electoral points).

However, I think the crazy Republican Senators talking about legitimate rape and rape children a part of God's will motivated more women to vote for Obama.
True. You'd think they would do a better job of vetting those folks in the primaries.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:15 AM

121 posts, read 152,954 times
What gets me about the whole legitimate rape thing is that they came out initially to distance themselves from Todd Akin then they did an about face a few weeks later and let him run again. The Republicans should have thrown everything they had at this guy to oust him from the party and their support network. Instead they basically shrugged their shoulders and let America know that it doesn't matter how loony bin their candidates are they'll get behind their man.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
That is exactly why there is (or should be) a separation of church and state!

Yet, the conservatives continually and constantly bring up religion to mix in with politics.

This time, it backfired right into your faces!

I'm glad!

Obama deserved this win.

Conservatives are way, way behind the times and refuse to see reality. Most people in this country still believe in the tenets of the founding fathers, thank goodness!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 AM

121 posts, read 152,954 times
Huckabee was the evangelical candidate and even they couldn't push their man through. The Republican party is way too fractured on the inside. They let the religious fanatics steer the ship into the rocks.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
It was close in the popular vote. I'm not saying it is a majority, I was just wondering if people felt it was a contributing factor. I think it was a factor for some people, mainly members of the Religious Right. Obviously you don't.

Yeah, two people admitted it. I think there may have been a bit of religious Bradley Effect going on.
I believe that the religious and social agendas of the far right were a major factor in their loss tonight.

Look at Florida; Allan West, one of the tea party's favorites, was soundly rejected, and Alan Grayson, one of the flintiest progressives I've ever seen, was re-elected after losing out to a tea party member in 2010. Greyson's favorability swing may have been the largest ever in modern politics- his downfall and his return covered 48 points of both combined.

That incredible swing is evidence to me of just how fed up the voters have become with the Republicans.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:

Obviously you fail to realize the popular vote doesn't mean squat, it is the electoral college vote that matters in Presidential elections.

Part of the problem with the right wing is that they cannot distance themselves from religious beliefs, all the more to have separation of church and state. We do not need religious fanatics running the country, prime examples of religion leading their people are islamic countries like in the middle east, and it's failures to recognize human rights.

I also think that people (voters) eyed, and realized which would have been the worst of two evils pertaining to the economy and came to the conclusion that republicans and democrats so far apart in agreement of how to handle the problems this country faces, and didn't put too much faith into the republican policies which helped create the mess. Many Americans now see the country is on the correct track, but more needs to be done. McConnell didn't get his wish, and hopefully, the "R" party will be more willing to compromise now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections