Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM

266 posts, read 402,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At least half of Obama's ads were touting his accomplishments such as saving the auto industry, Obamacare, creating 5 million new private sector jobs, ending the Iraq war, and decimating Al Qaeda's leadership. Without even mentioning Flip-Flop Romney's name.

Those are all lies!!!!!

Saved the auto industry = put Americans in more debt that we have ever been in and mortgaged our future. We had no choice in the matter, but we have to pay the bill.

Obamacare = give me a break. Most Americans don't even WANT Obamacare, but again, he is shoving it down our throats whether we want it or not, and again, WE get to pay for it.

Creating 5 million new private sector jobs. Really? Where? There are more people unemployed now than there were when he took office.

Ending the Iraq war. Wasn't it already pretty much over other than removing troops, which GWB already had outlined plans for, and Obama just followed the plan GWB made. That is, AFTER he kept saying he was going to do it as soon as he took office, but then realized once he got in office that GWB was right on the timing.

Decimated Al Qaeda. Yeah right. He had Osama bin Laden killed. That didn't decimate Al-Qaeda, as evidenced by Benghazi on 09/11/2012. Al-Qaeda is as strong as ever and hates us more than ever.
Thank you luzianne. If it were the case that all his ads touted his accomplishMENT, all his ads would be regarding his approval of the Seals' mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Obama won because of his racial background.

Anyone that doesn't think so should look at the polling results for each metro area.

More than a coincidence.

This election's results show the racial divide in America.

President Obama could be Hitleresque and still win.

Minus the skinheads' vote.

The media chose their darling; THEY know how to manipulate Americans.

Just wish they chose Cain, Powell, Bill Cosby....anyone but this Chicago Progressive.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Actually, let's bring this thread back to where the focus should be - on YOU, the members of CD, and the impact it has had on your interpersonal relationships.

This thread is NO longer about the candidates, but about how the person on the street, and on this forum, was impacted socially. Thanks.
Thanks for the question. I am from the Deep South (many years ago) and have several FB friends that I was able to make contact with. Which was great - except for the nasty posts I have seen regarding president Obama for the past two years - in which it seems that it REALLY ramped up. Calling him a 'clown', sharing clearly photostopped photos, sometimes blatent racist comments; all are avid FOX watchers.

I kept silent for a while but decided to make my political views known as well - during this past election season. And once he won re-election well . . .

These are the rules we tried to live by on FB - your page is for YOUR views and MY page is for my views and if you don't agree - post it on your own page ~ not on mine! That way there were no facebook wars.

But, frankly, after all the animosity - I think of them slightly differently now and I'm sure they are a bit wary of me as well. I'm so glad I live in a more urban area where people are more open-minded.

My family - most of which are Republican ~ we just do NOT talk about it!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was only using that as a BAROMETER since, before the GOP announced its candidate, most interpersonal relationships didn't delve into politics as much as they did when the final face-off was finally determined.
You are SO RIGHT about this! I really didn't realize most of my friends' political views until Facebook! I think you are willing to say things online (CD as an example) that you would NOT say to someone's face.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You are SO RIGHT about this! I really didn't realize most of my friends' political views until Facebook! I think you are willing to say things online (CD as an example) that you would NOT say to someone's face.
I also think that, if it's been a while since school/college, you don't really know what your friends are now like and what political/religious crusades they've embarked on.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Was this THE nastiest, most polarizing Presidential race you've seen in your life

No. Though I was unable to vote in 1964, I remember the Johnson-Goldwater race as very nasty. That nuclear bomb commercial of LBJ's was only aired once, but it lives on in infamy.

I was able to vote in 1972. That year, it was the Democrats who nominated someone considered a "radical", George McGovern, to run against a sitting president, Nixon. Even with the advantage of incumbency and an opponent who was considered too far left for most people, Nixon's henchmen pulled off an amateur raid of the DNC headquarters.

Ironically, both Goldwater and McGovern are now considered fairly "mainstream", which they always were, of course. It was just that their opponents portrayed them as radicals.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
I actually thought that the Bush/Kerry election was pretty nasty. All that dirt that was dredged up about Kerry and his "wealth", the Swiftboat scandal, etc. The difference was that the "internet" and social media was really in its adolescence stage and I didn't detect the online vitriol. I also don't think the nation was divided yet. But the campaign was pretty dirty.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Meh, I still think 2004 took the cake.

Karl Rove had two big moments there:
  • Throwing dirt on the accomplishments of a decorated veteran (Silver Stars aren't handed out as participation prizes) - the one area where Kerry felt he was on safe ground. We even got a new word out of it - "swiftboating".

And of course using John McCain's black adoptive daughter against him in push-polls during the Southern GOP primaries.

Karl Rove is scum.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Yes. I enjoyed it from the beginning ...to the day I cast my ballot

Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
In 30 years, Republicans nationwide will be running for office promising to strengthen Obamacare. They'll also claim it was their idea all along. LOL!

A great big on this. That's how they've always done things!

(Actually, it WAS their idea ... back in the 1990s, that was their proposed solution to the healthcare problem when Clinton first raised the issue. The entertaining part of all this is watching them hate on it now, and then, as you said, they'll be coming back around in a decade or so.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections