Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
...it was God's will. I wonder if the Christian right wing feel the same?
If they truly are Evangelical Christians - based on the actual definition of Evangelical, not just what they want to call themselves - then they have to believe this. To do otherwise is to reject several key passages in the Bible, and this rejection would preclude them from being Evangelical.

Last edited by duster1979; 11-14-2012 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
But I don't really think that god cares about bill paying, etc.
Not true. It's been a long time since I've seen the graphic, but I believe there are more Biblical references to paying your debts than to fornication.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM

35,683 posts, read 21,035,253 times
God is in full control, and he is merciful-, you must understand Him and His long suffering. Yes God allowed a man to rule, as he allowed the judges to come. He allows sin and evil and test what the people will do with it all. My question to all is: what are you responsible for? What will the Almighty ask you when you die? That inner anger and hatred is NOT of Him. He has a higher call and we are so carnal now that we think we OWN something, or that some one can actually take it away. WE are only stewards of anythign on this earth. There is a lack of LOVE and obedience to God right now it is sickening. You have forgotten who YOU said was in control of your lives, who was your provider and are trusting a worldy government instead of God. , what will you say to Him when he asks you about how He approved this president for this time? Will He say to you what He said to JOB? who are you to ask?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have heard some folks say that God definitely made sure Obama would win - he is punishing us as a country.

I don't think God gets involved in daily events such as an election but . . . who am I to say.
God must be omni-incompetent if she has to rely on humans to cast lots. That kinda put the whole idea of god being a figment of the imagination to rest, it is only a mind thing, it is not real.

Why would a god, the alleged creator of all, punish the USA? This is batcrap crazy.

I am sure there are many Liberals that also hold to beliefs in deities, you sure as heck do not hear them claiming a "win" b/c of god(s)

Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,947,399 times
Wow, there's a whole lot of "magical thinking" going on in this thread. No wonder Republicans were shell-shocked to learn they lost the election. I guess belief is not enough to get what you feel is right and just.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If they truly are Evangelical Christians - based on the actual definition of Evangelical, not just what they want to call themselves - then they have to believe this. To do otherwise is to reject several key passages in the Bible, and this rejection would preclude them from being Evangelical.
Evangelicalism is a cult, that is thriving on destruction of Christianity. In fact, this was proven again when I read about Billy Graham's excuse for supporting Romney and accepting Mormonism as Christianity (for the time being anyway). Evangelicals only use Jesus for their goals: political, social and economic.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Evangelicalism is a cult, that is thriving on destruction of Christianity. In fact, this was proven again when I read about Billy Graham's excuse for supporting Romney and accepting Mormonism as Christianity (for the time being anyway). Evangelicals only use Jesus for their goals: political, social and economic.
As I alluded to in my post, there is a difference between true Evangelicals by definition, and those who simply describe themselves as Evangelicals. True Evangelicals submit themselves to Biblical authority; self-described Evangelicals (Rick Santorum crowd, for example) use the Bible selectively to support their personal agenda.

In my experience, probably no more than 1/10 of those who describe themselves as "Evangelical" actually walk the walk.

I've always had a lot of respect for Billy Graham as he's historically kept the focus of his ministry on spreading the Gospel and managed to stay out of politics, so I was disappointed in his endorsement of Romney. It's one thing to support a candidate in spite of religious or cultural differences because you believe that that person will uphold certain values that you hold dear, but to suggest that Mormonism is simply another denomination of Christianity for the sake of garnering votes from his followers puts politics above God in my opinion..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
God does not exist.
How do you know that?

Quote:
Why would god be concerned with the USA when there are much more needy folk in Africa? Sorry my bad, I forgot god is a white dude.
"My bad" is poor grammar. It's "my mistake."

Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
"My bad" is poor grammar. It's "my mistake."
^ The two sentences above have grammatical mistakes.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,420 times
Smh at people who use religion as a tool to fulfill their agenda.

Maybe this is what God wants:

Quote:
My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?
8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,”[a] you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”[b] also said, “You shall not murder.”[c] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.
12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
-James 2:1-13

Or this (a little extreme but it is God's word afterall, right):

Quote:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
Romans 13:1-7

Maybe God has a message for right wingers, but based on all of the threads about the poor, food stamps and how much they hate Barack Obama they aren't listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections