Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
My dream ticket is Andrew Cuomo/Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean/Hillary, or Andrew Cuomo/Russ Feingold.

If Jeb, Jindal, or Marco Rubio are the GOP nominees, they will lose. Chris Christie is the only Republican that can win in 2016.
lol.

Sure. Howard Dean/Hillary...........that's the ticket! They're both screechers of the highest order:

Howard Dean's Scream - YouTube

Hillary Clinton's scream updated - YouTube

The Dean Scream vs The Hillary Cackle - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 PM

753 posts, read 728,180 times
Due to his father and brother serving as President before him, Job Bush would probably bring an impressive campaign infrastructure already established to a 2016 run.

The importance of this for GOP candidates is shown by history -- recent GOP nominees have mostly been candidates who previously ran and did well, finishing second in the nomination race. They then ran again the next time the nomination was open, building on their previous experience and re-establishing their nascent campaign infrastructures originally constructed during their first run for the nomination.

Romney, McCain, Dole, GHW Bush, Reagan -- all had run for President 'the last time', but failed to get the nomination (coming in second). They all ran again, and got the nomination.

The only exception to this rule in the past 40 years? A guy who sought the nomination without having previously run, but with a relative who had served as President, whose political connections he could mine for support.

A guy named 'Bush'.

It is for this reason that I see the 2016 Republican nomination shaping up as a battle between Rick "I finished second last time!" Santorum and Jeb "My Dad was President! (so was my brother, but I'd prefer that we all just forget about that little debacle)" Bush.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Nobody wants to hear that Bush name anymore.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
My dream ticket is Andrew Cuomo/Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean/Hillary, or Andrew Cuomo/Russ Feingold.

If Jeb, Jindal, or Marco Rubio are the GOP nominees, they will lose. Chris Christie is the only Republican that can win in 2016.
That ticket is unlikely to happen.

Were it to happen, one of the two would have to channel Dick Cheney and establish a residency somewhere outside of New York by Election Day 2016, or New York Electors would be prevented by the Constitution for voting for both of them (though each New York Elector could vote for either one, just not the other).

Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
i think in 2016 we will see a female president. im thinking hillary for sure on the left, if the right wants to move for the moderates they would nominate rice.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i think in 2016 we will see a female president. im thinking hillary for sure on the left, if the right wants to move for the moderates they would nominate rice.
Condoleeza Rice has never shown any interest in elective office.

Although it would certainly be interesting watching a pro-choice woman who has never been elected to anything try to win the GOP nomination. Even were she interested, she is probably aware that those things alone are probably insurmountable impendiments (among other things politically problematic about Rice).

Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Due to his father and brother serving as President before him, Job Bush would probably bring an impressive campaign infrastructure already established to a 2016 run.

The importance of this for GOP candidates is shown by history -- recent GOP nominees have mostly been candidates who previously ran and did well, finishing second in the nomination race. They then ran again the next time the nomination was open, building on their previous experience and re-establishing their nascent campaign infrastructures originally constructed during their first run for the nomination.

Romney, McCain, Dole, GHW Bush, Reagan -- all had run for President 'the last time', but failed to get the nomination (coming in second). They all ran again, and got the nomination.

The only exception to this rule in the past 40 years? A guy who sought the nomination without having previously run, but with a relative who had served as President, whose political connections he could mine for support.

A guy named 'Bush'.

It is for this reason that I see the 2016 Republican nomination shaping up as a battle between Rick "I finished second last time!" Santorum and Jeb "My Dad was President! (so was my brother, but I'd prefer that we all just forget about that little debacle)" Bush.
Slick Rick Santorum? My oh my!!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Slick Rick Santorum? My oh my!!
It would certainly be a spectacle to behold.

I was surprised at how the fact that he ran such a strong second this time, considering what a shoe-strings campaign he had. Far more impressive that Romney's first try in 2008, when he spent $42 million of his own fortune in losing to McCain.

And if the GOP decides that, "By golly, the only problem in 2008 and 2012 is that we just weren't conservative enough!", Santorum could be nicely position to ride that wave to the nomination.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
It would certainly be a spectacle to behold.

I was surprised at how the fact that he ran such a strong second this time, considering what a shoe-strings campaign he had. Far more impressive that Romney's first try in 2008, when he spent $42 million of his own fortune in losing to McCain.

And if the GOP decides that, "By golly, the only problem in 2008 and 2012 is that we just weren't conservative enough!", Santorum could be nicely position to ride that wave to the nomination.
And defeat in the general election if he gets a nomination. If America repudiated Mitt Romney in 2012 with a coalition of women, Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians there is no way that four years from now that Rick Santorum has rat's *ss chance of winning a national election in 2016.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
And defeat in the general election if he gets a nomination. If America repudiated Mitt Romney in 2012 with a coalition of women, Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians there is no way that four years from now that Rick Santorum has rat's *ss chance of winning a national election in 2016.
That is my gut reaction as well.

That said, every election consists of a comparison between the candidates, and the national setting. With that in mind, I'd rather not have Rick Santorum come as close to the Presidency as winning the Republican nomination -- history is too full of people who had "no chance in the general election" setting up residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

But just speaking of the nomination itself, I think Santorum at this point in time is a good bet to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections