Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:38 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
With all due respect, I don't think that there are too many Americans who feel like America is the greatest place on the face of the earth right now

liberal media - what would make you think that? I don't FOLLOW anyone, nor take what they have to say for face value. I research and read all sides. It doesn't take a "rocket scientist" to figure out that IDOT Bush and the string puller Cheyne have profited greatly and will continue to do so. As I said before 2+2=4............Even those who supported Bush can't help but agree that they have "crossed the lines", not to mention the lack of transparency in this Administration.

Take off the fog colored glasses If you support IDOT Bush & Co., that is fine and your right - no one is asking you to denounce the man but to sit and "pretend" that they are not profiting and that this whole war wasn't for "personal enrichment" and "control", is just being downright __________. (fill in the blank)
First point.... how DARE you even pretend to be the voice of the American people! Maybe people like you don't like America now but you and your kind are in the VAST MINORITY!

Secong point... This 2+2=4 nonsense you keep saying is just your opinion unless as I've repeatedly said SHOW SOME PROOF!! And if Bush is such an idiot boy he sure has all the liberals baffled. They can't catch him and Cheney gaining profit on the war. If they're getting away with anything illegal they MUST be really, really smart!! Glad they're leading the country. LOL!

I support Bush on some things but he has made many mistakes and there are many things I disagree with in his policies but over all he's worlds better than any DemocRAT out there. You tout the liberal media line with no proof of what you say at all. It's all opinion which you are certainly entitled to but please don't state it as obvious fact when it is NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 06:39 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Jeepjeep:

So Dick Cheney was the CEO of Halliburton. When he left to be the VP Candidate, he was given HUGE parting gifts. Combined with what he made while there, they gave he and his wife a net worth of nearly 100 million dollars. In 2005 alone he made almost 9 million, and at least 7 million of that was from stock that Halliburton had given him, though it had been put into an annuity that supposedly divorced his own earnings from the earnings of the company. Nevertheless, that SAME company was given a NO-BID contract to help in the restoration of Iraq. NO-BID. No free market economy at work.

My uncle, who has since passed away, was career military and a lifelong republican. During his first tour in Iraq, he saw that, for example, the US Military was paying 3 dollars a gallon for fuel. This is when we were paying under 2 a gallon in the US, and they were in the middle east! He never gave up on Bush, but viewed Cheney as a snake in the grass after seeing how things were going there. He wasn't a suspicious man by nature. He was a good soldier. He was also a smart man.

To honestly say that a company being awarded an extremely lucrative contract without bidding on it (what happened to free market economy????) when that same company was responsible for the fortune of the sitting VP, who was also a chief architect of the war isn't somehow improper.... well I can't logically support that.

No proof is needed. Cheney already got his incredible sum of money. If he weren't repaying favors and helping old friends, why wasn't there a bidding process? I seriously think that after he leaves office he'll get a sweet little deal from Halliburton. If nothing else, some sweet speakers fees and maybe a cushy title-only job. He wouldn't be the first former Bush Administration figure to leave the public sector for a sweet job.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Jeepjeep:

So Dick Chaney was the CEO of Halliburton. When he left to be the VP Candidate, he was given HUGE parting gifts. Combined with what he made while there, they gave he and his wife a net worth of nearly 100 million dollars. In 2005 alone he made almost 9 million, and at least 7 million of that was from stock that Halliburton had given him, though it had been put into an annuity that supposedly divorced his own earnings from the earnings of the company. Nevertheless, that SAME company was given a NO-BID contract to help in the restoration of Iraq. NO-BID. No free market economy at work.

My uncle, who has since passed away, was career military and a lifelong republican. During his first tour in Iraq, he saw that, for example, the US Military was paying 3 dollars a gallon for fuel. This is when we were paying under 2 a gallon in the US, and they were in the middle east! He never gave up on Bush, but viewed Chaney as a snake in the grass after seeing how things were going there. He wasn't a suspicious man by nature. He was a good soldier. He was also a smart man.

To honestly say that a company being awarded an extremely lucrative contract without bidding on it (what happened to free market economy????) when that same company was responsible for the fortune of the sitting VP, who was also a chief architect of the war isn't somehow improper.... well I can't logically support that.

No proof is needed. Chaney already got his incredible sum of money. If he weren't repaying favors and helping old friends, why wasn't there a bidding process? I seriously think that after he leaves office he'll get a sweet little deal from Halliburton. If nothing else, some sweet speakers fees and maybe a cushy title-only job. He wouldn't be the first former Bush Administration figure to leave the public sector for a sweet job.
OK if all that is true then it sure isn't totally on the up and up. BUT is it legal? It must be or it would have been stopped by now. My question is... who allowed it to happen? There HAS to be someone accountable that allowed it not to be put up to bids. Please don't say it was because no one wanted to cross the Administration or something like that. That's crap. If it is legal then I guess nothing can be done but that doesn't make it right.

I've been to Chaney's hometown in Wyoming by the way. He's NOT well liked there. Personally, I don't care for the man's personality and demeanor. He does seem kinda smarmy.

Saying "no proof is needed " may be OK with you but I need proof to totally believe anything weather it's Bush,Chaney,Clinton,Obama or the guy down the block. Hearsay is just that until there's proof.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:17 AM

Well, I hope that you are indeed so discerning as to require such proof before you believe anything regardless of the candidate. I never said any of this was illegal. It is unseemly, and in my opinion not particularly patriotic. Illegal? Not really. ESPECIALLY not in a time when (sorry but it's true) officials were very apprehensive about saying no to the administration for fear of being labeled unpatriotic or not serious about defense.

Plus, lots of democrats (and some republicans too!) DID stand up and shout, but the ball wasn't in their court. A number of things that have happened, from wiretapping to the suspension of habeas corpus, were illegal when they first began. Later, after the fact, people retroactively said these things were ok. That's the shuffle we've been doing.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, I hope that you are indeed so discerning as to require such proof before you believe anything regardless of the candidate. I never said any of this was illegal. It is unseemly, and in my opinion not particularly patriotic. Illegal? Not really. ESPECIALLY not in a time when (sorry but it's true) officials were very apprehensive about saying no to the administration for fear of being labeled unpatriotic or not serious about defense.

Plus, lots of democrats (and some republicans too!) DID stand up and shout, but the ball wasn't in their court. A number of things that have happened, from wiretapping to the suspension of habeas corpus, were illegal when they first began. Later, after the fact, people retroactively said these things were ok. That's the shuffle we've been doing.
So do you think that wiretapping started when Bush became President?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
So do you think that wiretapping started when Bush became President?
Of course not! I live in Chicago!!! I do think it was accelerated and mainstreamed, though.

Still, I never said that previous adminstrations weren't crooked in their own ways! I'm just responding to the idea that corruption, illegality, and policies that may harm America are somehow unique to the Democrats. It's simply not true.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
With all due respect, I don't think that there are too many Americans who feel like America is the greatest place on the face of the earth right now
Have you spent any time outside the Big Cities? Have you talked to folks here in the Heartland—suburban or rural, rich or poor alike—who still believe in America's exceptionalism and boundless opportunity?

Gloom-and-doom is ubiquitous these days, as that's all the elite media are peddling. But the whiners and complainers are just that. It's everyday Americans, working at what they do on an ordinary basis, that make this country awesome! The pinheaded Leftists in hoity-toity think tanks have nothing to do with it.

Once you turn off NPR; put down Mother Jones; step outside the coffeehouse, fashionable cocktail party or college campus; go out and meet some real Americans, you'll find our love of country and belief in America's greatness—unhip as it may be—is deep-seated and very much alive!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
First point.... how DARE you even pretend to be the voice of the American people! Maybe people like you don't like America now but you and your kind are in the VAST MINORITY!!
First of all, READ - did I say I didn't like America? I said
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah
I don't think that there are too many Americans who feel like America is the greatest place on the face of the earth right now.

No i'm not the vast minority. The way that America had handled business and sold the country out to big businesses; immigration, failing educational system, outsourcing, etc..etc.. There are A LOT of people unhappy and ready for change. Ready for us to start taking care of our problems at home and ready for them to stop creating more enemies!!!!!!! There is a big difference in saying that "you don't like America" versus saying that many people are feeling like America is not the greatest place on earth simply because of decisions that have been made which affect Americans. So please DO NOT put words in my mouth. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Secong point... This 2+2=4 nonsense you keep saying is just your opinion unless as I've repeatedly said SHOW SOME PROOF!! And if Bush is such an idiot boy he sure has all the liberals baffled. They can't catch him and Cheney gaining profit on the war. If they're getting away with anything illegal they MUST be really, really smart!! Glad they're leading the country. LOL!!!
I think you just proved my point on the mathematical equation by posting "it sure isn't totally on the up and up" Whether illegal or not it is at the very least UNETHICAL and had the same practices been carried out by anyone else (Democrat/Independent), they'd be served with subpoenas and more than likely impeached. Shows that Congress are all either benefiting in some way or they are just a bunch of scared &*^%$(*U*& (cottonballs).

You state that you're glad they're leading the country - yes I'm glad that you are glad that they are leading this country straight to H*LL. Let's see that big smile when we enter WWIII

Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM

Well i think I've said all I need to in this post. There are people here who just don't get it and I guess that's just fine. Diversity and difference is what makes this country great. Have fun all. See ya on other posts!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
ayannaaaliyah said: With all due respect, I don't think that there are too many Americans who feel like America is the greatest place on the face of the earth right now

I for one am thankful I live in the GREATEST country in the world! Many others feel the same way as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections