Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times

Advertisements

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) -- CBN Founder Pat Robertson will endorse Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani at a news conference in Washington, DC later today, GOP officials confirmed.

Pat Robertson to endorse Guiliani (http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_110707_robertson_giuliani.1e86e1e59.htm l - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Default Kiss of Death

Robertson is such a flake that this will drive people AWAY from Rudy. Having support from religious psychopaths like Robertson will hurt Rudy's credibility, not help it.

The evangelical vote is changing, no more blind sheep evangelical rank & file voters, yanked along by the nose from deaf old goat televangelists and doing & voting whatever talking heads say. Millions of voters no longer buy into the "send me your money and we'll fight the good fight" scams mouthed by Dobson, Robertson, Falwell and their now-disgraced NEA sidekick Rev Ted. Throw in Senators Craig and Vetter, with Rep Foley and you have the stuff of a GOP debacle in 2008.

Then again, maybe Pat has seen the light, as he approves of a candidate who is pro-choice and pro gay rights.

Does this show the "religious right" is more about being right-wing than about being religious. One of their leaders is willing to support a candidate who goes against everything they stand for, if they think it'll help them win an election. Anyone who can think will see this is a naked power play by a no-longer influential Pat Robertson. All Rudy needs is David Duke's endorsement to make the right wing looney circle complete. Evangelical christians were used and abused by Bush, Rove, and the GOP, yet one (or more) religious 'leader' is so blinded by the smell of power (i.e., control over people) that he will grasp at whoever is the front runner, no doubt having cut some sort of backroom deal with him.

How can Robertson, who for years has shed tears for millions of abortion victims, support a candidacy of someone who is unashamedly pro abortion? Why is Robertson, a champion of marriage, standing with a divorced man who has openly supported gay unions?

This may be more about an anti-Romney / anti-Mormon nomination. Will the Christian right support a Mormon? Seems one of their so-called "leaders" is not able to overcome what appears an anti-Mormon bias. He may not say the words, but his actions prove it.

Why didn't Robertson support Governor Huckabee, a Baptist minister cut from the same cloth as Pat, who preached a fine sermon and came out on top at the recent Value Voters gathering, where Rudy showed poorly. Pro-Life and Sanctity of Marriage has a ready-made candidate in Governor Mike Huckabee, so has Pat Robinson has lost what little creditability he had left?

Rudy is a one-trick pony called 9-11. Doing a fine job on 9-11 and shortly thereafter doesn't make someone presidential timber.

Robertson's unfathomable endorsement throws all sorts of curves into GOP campaigns.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-07-2007 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: typo's

Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
I wonder how much Guiliani paid him for that one.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
More reason not to vote for Giuliani.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
There is only one kiss of death more feared than being endorsed by Robertson.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 AM

791 posts, read 2,223,381 times
A temporary setback. I'm sure someone will dig up some Rudy tales to restore faith to the middle ground supporters.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:52 AM

640 posts, read 461,734 times
No candidate is ever going to meet 100% of everyone's wish-list in their candidate. I've seen that written on this forum countless times, by both sides. We all know that each of us will cast a vote for the candidate that most closely resembles our perfect choice. There will be concessions. I'm a Republican and I've long supported Rudy more than the others. While I don't agree with abortion, that won't keep me from voting for Rudy because he's so strong on our defense. Without a strong defense and the continued war against terrorism, the U.S. could EASILY become a Muslim nation. That thought sickens me and makes me worried for my future grandchildren. Rudy won't let that happen. He's the strongest and WILL keep America safe. As for abortion and gay rights ~ he's all about the STATES making their own decisions; not the federal government. I can live that :-)

This endorsement will not hurt Rudy, y'all. Nope. Not at all. It's just what us right-wing Christian conservatives were looking for :-) You've got the Pope and he's the biggy (if you're Catholic). There was Billy Graham. And then Pat Robertson. He is the biggest voice out there and he's well-respected by most Christians (and you must keep in mind that a little over 80% of Americans describe themselves as Christian.) This is a powerful endorsement by all standards. Of course you lefties will try to say it ain't so :-) You fear it....

Go Rudy!

Last edited by Sooner_Nation_60; 11-07-2007 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: wording, typo's

Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Sooner, what are you basing your statement on that the US could EASILY become a muslim nation?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,583,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Why didn't Robertson support Governor Huckabee, a Baptist minister cut from the same cloth as Pat, who preached a fine sermon and came out on top at the recent Value Voters gathering, where Rudy showed poorly. Pro-Life and Sanctity of Marriage has a ready-made candidate in Governor Mike Huckabee, so has Pat Robinson has lost what little creditability he had left?

Exactly! This makes no sense whatsoever in the human minds perspective. But, as a christian, I'm really not suprised to see this pandering to anyone who can "win" an election for the sake of winning. May God truly help this nation and break us as a people for our disobedience and waywardness from Him, and may He bring repentance and conviction of our sinful ways to light.

I personally believe that we are see things unfold in the world today that will only be getting worse as the years go by. No man, or woman president will be able to stop the destruction and pain that will come upon this nation, and the world once other things begin to unfold. All I ask of you is to please read the Bible and if you don't know the God of the bible and what it truly means to know Jesus Christ personally, please pray and ask God to reveal Himself to you through His word.
A relationship with Jesus Christ is the only thing that will save a person from eternal torment and pain. We are not promised a fairy tale life here on earth, but we are called to be salt and light to a lost world, and to love everyone equally just as Jesus has; regardless of age, race, religion, and social standing. There are scary days ahead, but if we are right with God through faith in Jesus Christ, He promises us peace and joy that the world can't take away.

Peace

Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
Well, neither the pope nor Billy Graham endorse people running for office and Pat Robertson is not the head official of any religion so your comparison fails. And most Christians will admit that Rev. Roberston has a history of making bone-headed statements and then issuing apologies. I think he had an explanation for Sept. 11 that did not involve Arab terrorists.

Neither Rev. Roberston or Giuliani were strong on military matters when it involved putting their ownselves in harm's way. Roberston is well-known for having avoided combat while a Marine officer during the Korean war and Rudy is no veteran. So their rhetoric now makes a somewhat tinny sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections