Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:14 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

I think you can talk about moderates being left in the party until you're blue in the face, but the only objective way to measure where a party stands is who are they ELECTING and supporting. If the remaining GOP base was all that moderate, they'd be backing moderate candidates, but they're not. From those of you who swear that's not the case, I'd like to see a list of all the moderate R's winning primaries, and of the existing moderates in office, a list of who they are and if they're being primaried by the tea party. I'd love to be wrong, but it seems to me that the base is calling just about every moderate a RINO and running a hard right candidate against them (or at least threatening to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
RINOs are absolute garbage. They should all become Democrats which is where their heart is.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:15 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
RINOs are absolute garbage. They should all become Democrats which is where their heart is.
Thanks for paving the road for the Democrats. Stick with it, please, and never change.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
I can only speak to my own experience, I have been a republican as long as I can remember. I recall pulling for Gerald Ford over carter when I was in elementary school. And Reagan over Modale in highschool. The first election I voted for was for Clayton Williams for the Texas Governor, despite his distasteful rape comment. However while I consider myself a fiscal conservative Republican with moderate social views, I find myself increasing becoming disenfranchised from my own party. In fact, I have to re-register to vote due to a recent move and for the first time I will not be registering as republican.

My biggest problem is the draconian adherence demanded by Republicans to Fox News and talk radio talking points. You are considered a RINO if you don't believe in any one of the following:
-illegals aliens have no social value, are all criminals, and should all be arrested and deported.
-man and pollution have no effect on our environment
-George Zimmerman did nothing wrong
-there is nothing wrong with our healthcare system
-corporations like GE who earn 14 billions in profits should pay no taxes at all, but its okay for us normal people to pay 28% of our income
-gays should be denied all legal and financial benefits of marriage
-support Israel at all costs
-Muslims are evil, radicalized or not.
-if you are an individual who receives any kind of government financial support (social security, medicare, unemployment, military pay, etc) you are a taker and a leech to society
-if you are a corporation that receives millions or billions in government subsidies, you are a hero and a job creator
-all abortions are bad. Women who want to abort after rape or incest are really just baby killers
-science is a sham and there is no such thing as evolution

I know this sounds exaggerated, but I listen to talk radio all the time and each and every host parrots these same talking point without deviation.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,776 times
I find it ironic that the "RINOs" and "moderate GOP" membership would have an easier time converting the Democratic party towards their view points than the current vocal GOP far right crusaders. That is how entrenched and unflinching towards compromise many of these newly elected conservatives have become.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times
Quote:
Some of the so-called RINOs have done much more for this country than the entire Tea Party put together.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I can only speak to my own experience, I have been a republican as long as I can remember. I recall pulling for Gerald Ford over carter when I was in elementary school. And Reagan over Modale in highschool. The first election I voted for was for Clayton Williams for the Texas Governor, despite his distasteful rape comment. However while I consider myself a fiscal conservative Republican with moderate social views, I find myself increasing becoming disenfranchised from my own party. In fact, I have to re-register to vote due to a recent move and for the first time I will not be registering as republican.

My biggest problem is the draconian adherence demanded by Republicans to Fox News and talk radio talking points. You are considered a RINO if you don't believe in any one of the following:
-illegals aliens have no social value, are all criminals, and should all be arrested and deported.
-man and pollution have no effect on our environment
-George Zimmerman did nothing wrong
-there is nothing wrong with our healthcare system
-corporations like GE who earn 14 billions in profits should pay no taxes at all, but its okay for us normal people to pay 28% of our income
-gays should be denied all legal and financial benefits of marriage
-support Israel at all costs
-Muslims are evil, radicalized or not.
-if you are an individual who receives any kind of government financial support (social security, medicare, unemployment, military pay, etc) you are a taker and a leech to society
-if you are a corporation that receives millions or billions in government subsidies, you are a hero and a job creator
-all abortions are bad. Women who want to abort after rape or incest are really just baby killers
-science is a sham and there is no such thing as evolution

I know this sounds exaggerated, but I listen to talk radio all the time and each and every host parrots these same talking point without deviation.
Exactly, and its not just on talk radio or Fox, it is what comes out of the mouth of the elected officials and the legislation that gets pushed. Using my dad as an example (middle class retired white guy in his 60's) he use to vote pretty much 50/50 between the Dems and GOP on both national and local elections, now he votes heavily Democratic. Combination of him moving to the south (my parents retired to the Charlotte suburbs of South Carolina) where the party was further right to begin with, and how far right the entire party has shifted has basically changed him from an Independent spliting his vote pretty much 50/50 to someone who now votes heavily Democratic.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Nita, deny it all you want, but this is what your party is right now.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I find it ironic that the "RINOs" and "moderate GOP" membership would have an easier time converting the Democratic party towards their view points than the current vocal GOP far right crusaders. That is how entrenched and unflinching towards compromise many of these newly elected conservatives have become.
I think that's the choice that a lot of moderates in the GOP are facing right now--do you go independent and not be part of the process, or do you switch to D so you have some say in the Democratic party agenda.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think that's the choice that a lot of moderates in the GOP are facing right now--do you go independent and not be part of the process, or do you switch to D so you have some say in the Democratic party agenda.
Or option number three--moderate Republicans actually engage in the process and wrest control of their party away from the far right. Again, I say that the moderates are much to blame for where their party is right now by being too afraid of the Tea Party to speak out against them. Silence equals consent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections