Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:58 PM

7,608 posts, read 6,113,265 times

Advertisements

Shame how politics and entertainment have merged into one.
On one hand, we have entertainers like Bill Moyer, Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh popping up as popular political commentators and somehow being misinterpreted as "experts" by a celebrity worshiping society.
While they may be entertaining to their own fans, they are NOT individuals who are capable of generating the ideas and solutions to America's problems. Pointing out other's faults does not, in spite of what some think, make One into an expert ......It makes one a critic. That is all.

Then we have all these soap opera types like Sarah Palin and Bill Clinton's Wife. The latter is a law school grad, which may or may not be a good thing. Hard to take either one seriously sometimes, but America is as fascinated with female leaders as they are minority ones so they may as well enjoy their 15 minutes of fame.

Then we have the political mindset of "The problem with this country is all the _______" Fill in the blank with one of the following: Republicans, Democrats, Liberals, Conservatives, Foreigners, Mugwumps.
A case of "Pass the blame, I know what is right but I am too lazy to get up and do anything about it"
It is far easier to point out problems than to offer a solution. Although Rush Limbaugh and Bill Moyer made a lot of money doing just that.

Finally there is the circus atmosphere of Washington, which is on closer inspection, the most childish game of "WAH WAH WAH You are a member of the other party so we can't play together" seen outside of a first grade class. Seriously, representatives have forgotten perhaps that their title is "Representative" as in "I get paid to represent my constituents" ...not..."Oh cool a $1000 lunch with a lobbyist."

There are two problems I see with this country. (And I am starting to sound old)
One is people who would rather be enemies than friends. It is far more productive to work with and work together than to work against. Perhaps the self-esteem of Americans has become so low that many do not realize the depths of their own self-loathing?
The second problem, and stop me if I am wrong, is too much government.

Remember that last entertainer who became president, the one without a law degree and the one who was known for his acting career? He was able to foster an atmosphere of business prosperity, smaller government including economic deregulation, and a non-nonsense foreign policy that ended (mostly peacefully) the cold war.
What is more, he restored a sense of honor to the office of the presidency, something which two of the previous three executives had all but destroyed and something Clinton and his wife, as well as "W" Bush seemed to have fallen short upon.

When he left, we had smaller government and greater prosperity. What is so wrong with that?

And since then, not a single visionary has come through until Obama came in talking about change, some of which was needed and some of which was not. Of course, Obama gets as much criticism for waking up in the morning from conservatives as Geo Bush did from liberals.

To anyone who wants to criticize, try being president for a day. Try to hold a job down as leader of a diverse nation of over 317 Million people, and try to please all of them a teh same time. Good luck with that.
Try to juggle the responsibility for military and national safety in the constant threat of terrorists both home and abroad.
Do your best to make a few suggestions that will keep the economy strong, because when the economy does not do well (Which, for those who have never taken an economics class, is a natural and cyclical fact) be prepared to take the blame.
And good luck in the face of media who are more concerned with what you wore to lat night's state dinner than your ideas on diffusing a potentially volatile situation in Africa.
Good luck with all that.

Finally, I have said before, if you do not like something, get off your arse and do something about it. Vote. Get yourself into the political committees, caucuses, attend town hall meetings, pass petitions, get heard.
Help others. Want to see how bad you have it in life? Go help serve the homeless at the food bank for a day, or volunteer at the V A Hospital for a few hours a week.
Chances are, YOU will appreciate your life, and your country , a lot more.

And encourage your friends, family, even your self to seek political office and make real change.
Otherwise, when you get to the ballot and it says
Choose one:
Sarah Palin
Bill Clinton's Wife

you may be thinking...."what did we do wrong to get to this point?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,978,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
On one hand, we have entertainers like Bill Moyer, Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh popping up as popular political commentators and somehow being misinterpreted as "experts" by a celebrity worshiping society.
While they may be entertaining to their own fans, they are NOT individuals who are capable of generating the ideas and solutions to America's problems. Pointing out other's faults does not, in spite of what some think, make One into an expert ......It makes one a critic. That is all.

Then we have all these soap opera types like Sarah Palin and Bill Clinton's Wife. The latter is a law school grad, which may or may not be a good thing. Hard to take either one seriously sometimes, but America is as fascinated with female leaders as they are minority ones so they may as well enjoy their 15 minutes of fame.

Then we have the political mindset of "The problem with this country is all the _______" Fill in the blank with one of the following: Republicans, Democrats, Liberals, Conservatives, Foreigners, Mugwumps.
A case of "Pass the blame, I know what is right but I am too lazy to get up and do anything about it"
It is far easier to point out problems than to offer a solution. Although Rush Limbaugh and Bill Moyer made a lot of money doing just that.

Finally there is the circus atmosphere of Washington, which is on closer inspection, the most childish game of "WAH WAH WAH You are a member of the other party so we can't play together" seen outside of a first grade class. Seriously, representatives have forgotten perhaps that their title is "Representative" as in "I get paid to represent my constituents" ...not..."Oh cool a $1000 lunch with a lobbyist."

There are two problems I see with this country. (And I am starting to sound old)
One is people who would rather be enemies than friends. It is far more productive to work with and work together than to work against. Perhaps the self-esteem of Americans has become so low that many do not realize the depths of their own self-loathing?

Remember that last entertainer who became president, the one without a law degree and the one who was known for his acting career? He was able to foster an atmosphere of business prosperity, smaller government including economic deregulation, and a non-nonsense foreign policy that ended (mostly peacefully) the cold war.
What is more, he restored a sense of honor to the office of the presidency, something which two of the previous three executives had all but destroyed and something Clinton and his wife, as well as "W" Bush seemed to have fallen short upon.

When he left, we had smaller government and greater prosperity. What is so wrong with that?

And since then, not a single visionary has come through until Obama came in talking about change, some of which was needed and some of which was not. Of course, Obama gets as much criticism for waking up in the morning from conservatives as Geo Bush did from liberals.

To anyone who wants to criticize, try being president for a day. Try to hold a job down as leader of a diverse nation of over 317 Million people, and try to please all of them a teh same time. Good luck with that.
Try to juggle the responsibility for military and national safety in the constant threat of terrorists both home and abroad.
Do your best to make a few suggestions that will keep the economy strong, because when the economy does not do well (Which, for those who have never taken an economics class, is a natural and cyclical fact) be prepared to take the blame.
And good luck in the face of media who are more concerned with what you wore to lat night's state dinner than your ideas on diffusing a potentially volatile situation in Africa.
Good luck with all that.

Finally, I have said before, if you do not like something, get off your arse and do something about it. Vote. Get yourself into the political committees, caucuses, attend town hall meetings, pass petitions, get heard.
Help others. Want to see how bad you have it in life? Go help serve the homeless at the food bank for a day, or volunteer at the V A Hospital for a few hours a week.

And encourage your friends, family, even your self to seek political office and make real change.
Choose one:
Sarah Palin
Bill Clinton's Wife

through I disagree with you, your post is very good. I do have a slightly different take: 1-I really don't think things have changed all that much, we just have 24/7 coverage now and 2-yes, we all need to do what we can to help others, but we also have to realize what other countries are dealing with and be happy we live in America.

Yes, please don't make me choose between Sarah and Hillary: Please God, prove you are real and save us!!!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 AM

7,608 posts, read 6,113,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
through I disagree with you, your post is very good. I do have a slightly different take: 1-I really don't think things have changed all that much, we just have 24/7 coverage now and 2-yes, we all need to do what we can to help others, but we also have to realize what other countries are dealing with and be happy we live in America.

Yes, please don't make me choose between Sarah and Hillary: Please God, prove you are real and save us!!!
I have had several military and former military members who served overseas who are very glad that we lie in America. I do not need the press to hype that, I travel out of country myself and often to what would be considered the socio-economic "third world".....I am glad I live here

There are issues of safety. Like it or not, Wire taps and internet monitoring goes a long way to discovering who the terrorists next door may be. I get frustrated when it fails, like at the Boston Marathon last year.

We must maintain our safety here, and understand that as I mentioned many people would rather be enemies than friends. This includes but is not limited to, The rulers of Iran, North Korea, Cuba, as well as much of the populace of Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and Jamaica.
It is a shame but human nature, our animalistic nature, spurs those who lack intelligence and insight to use violence to solve problems. Desperate people use desperate methods. We see that in religions, in terror groups and in pirates around Somalia.

Difficult to deal with, but as the worlds best and most powerful country we must deal with that.

Question is, do we really think someone like Bill Clinton's Wife or Sarah Palin could do that?

Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,895,869 times
Quote:
Question is, do we really think someone like Bill Clinton's Wife or Sarah Palin could do that?
That you would put the former U.S. Senator and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on the same level with Half-Term Quitter and professional reality star Sarah Palin means you are not to be taken seriously in anything else you might say.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM

582 posts, read 780,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
That you would put the former U.S. Senator and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on the same level with Half-Term Quitter and professional reality star Sarah Palin means you are not to be taken seriously in anything else you might say.
I would agree that the two are not on the same level. One would by an extremely terrible choice as president and the other would be a horrendously poor choice as president. Which is which is just semantics.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,701,568 times
I would vote for Palin a million times before I would darken the door a single time to cast a vote for Hillary.

Palin has common sense and decency. Hillary is a victim who doesn't have the sense to run from an abusive husband.

No more need be said.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,800,194 times
Quote:
Choose one:
Sarah Palin
Bill Clinton's Wife
That was easy.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,610,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I would vote for Palin a million times before I would darken the door a single time to cast a vote for Hillary.

Palin has common sense and decency. Hillary is a victim who doesn't have the sense to run from an abusive husband.

No more need be said.
Hahahahahahaha, wow thanks for the laugh.

To the OP, what is with the "Bill Cintons wife". She does have a name.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 PM

99,805 posts, read 4,503,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Palin has common sense and decency.

No more need be said.
She does? What's decent about saying the only real Americans are those in certain parts of the country that agree with her?

Palin Touts the ‘Pro-America’ Areas of the Country - Washington Wire - WSJ

Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,589,559 times
Quote:

Good luck with all that.

Choose one:
Sarah Palin
Bill Clinton's Wife

I got your point. You love Raygun and really believe he was for small government. You like Sarah Palin and dislike 'Bill Clinton's wife".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections