Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 03:30 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Alan Keyes happens to be a crass fool whose candidacy (when running for the IL senate) was panned by Cheney and the head of the IL Republican party. I do not know if he has ever won a contested primary and he has certainly never been elected to office. But you go ahead and count him as a GOP star, if you want.
I'm a Democrat, but you're moving the goalpost. The question was whether the GOP would ever nominate minorities? They have and continue to nominate minorities. Now they may be minority right wing nut jobs, but they do nominate minority members.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:16 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Alan Keyes.

Seriously though, the Republicans have shown a willingness to nominate minorities, provided that they are extremely right wing.

LOL, sure hit THAT nail!

So when do you think the GOP will put Glenn Beck or their 'darling' Rush Limbaugh as their Presidential candidate? Or someone from the Log Cabin Republicans like Mary Cheney!

Log Cabin Republicans

Log Cabin Republicans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 06-12-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 05:19 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
I'm a Democrat, but you're moving the goalpost. The question was whether the GOP would ever nominate minorities? They have and continue to nominate minorities. Now they may be minority right wing nut jobs, but they do nominate minority members.
Speaking of the RP and minorities, did any of the out gay men running in either House or local elections win their primaries? IIRC there were a few scattered across the country.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Here's the problem: The GOP did not really nominate him -- the preferred candidate imploded. Since the IL Democrats had a black guy running for office the Republicans felt they had to run a black guy against him. Katherine Porter, a conservative columnist, called this benign racism.

At any rate, the IL GOP went all the way to MD to find a black guy to run in the senate race. If the GOP nominated minorities they would have selected an IL minority candidate; not window dressing. And, the IL GOP never before or since had a minority candidate for statewide office. Of course Keyes had previously criticized Hillary for running in NY when she did not live there. Then he ran in IL and did not live there! Keyes was not nominated to win in IL -- he was there to lose and make the GOP look better.

And we know what happened to Keyes' opponent.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yes indeed.
But nothing ever lasts forever.
While minorities, both racial and cultural, are a majority now, the Republicans have made it very easy for the Democrats to appeal to them. White christian men aren't going to be the GOP base voters forever. All those racial and ethnic differences are bound to lose whatever cohesion our minorities have at the moment.

Most of their movement toward the Democratic party is only in reaction to the anti-minority actions of the GOP base. The GOP's leadership is already painfully aware of this, and that's why we are all seeing so much establishment push-back against the tea party's stances.

This civil war is bound to fracture some of their red state's dominance within the states if it continues, as many states are just as deadlocked in accomplishing much needed legislation as it is in the Capitol. In the red states, it's a fight between the center right and the far right. Party purity against party practicality.
State priorities cannot be kicked down the road for as long as national priorities because they are more immediately needed.
It's much easier to endlessly debate job losses or job creation, for example, in the Capitol than it is in the states. Since the far right in the red states offer few or no plausible solutions to the deepest state needs, the GOP can easily crumble from within. All the Democrats have to do is hold the line and wait for the downfall in some of the red states. Purple is much better than red in their thinking. A state doesn't have to be blue for the Democratic party to end up the winners in state government.

2014 is going to be a year that will show which side in the conservative battle will take the field, but I seriously doubt the war will be over. 2016 will be the year for that. It has to be, or some of the reddest states on the map will become purple.

But this situation can make things too easy for the Democrats, and they are no better than the Republicans when it comes to taking things for granted. All those minorities' individual priorities are bound to boil over into new disputes, and the Democratic party must have quicker and more effective responses to hold whatever ground they get in 2014 and 2016.
Thank you!

Wiser and calmer heads in the RP know where things are headed and what the party must do if it is every to become a contender again on the national scene. Poll after poll shows with those who consider themselves Republicans below a certain age (that is not Boomers or the tail end of that generation) have no problems with gays/ SSM, minorities, immigration reform, and so forth. What they *DO* care about is the things which were once valued by the "party of Goldwater" before it got hijacked by scandal (Watergate) and later the Moral Majority.

The more "with it" Republicans have been out there meeting and or listening to businessmen like Howard Schultz (CEO of Starbucks), Lloyd Blankfein (CEO of Goldman Sachs), along with a host of persons that make things happen in this country who though members of the RP are getting fed up to the back teeth with some of the current antics.

I'll say it again; this country is changing both in terms of demographics, societal mores, population shifts and several other factors. Few if any of these changes will bring benefits to the RP if it does not get it's act together and cease being seen as a party of hate filled mainly white/European bigots yearning to turn this country's clock back to the 1950's. That and gobbling up every bit of wealth they can lay hands on then saying "I've got mine, now you get yours".

Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I don't think it would be a black Republican as no one is more despised and attacked by the media and liberals as a conservative black Republican. I don't think a black Republican could deliver many black voters either.

Best guess would a Hispanic but I wouldn't rule out an Asian candidate. So my questions are could Marco Rubio bring Mexican Hispanics to the Republican side as his family is Cuban? Could an Indian Asian Republican win support of other Asians such as Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc. ?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
LOL, sure hit THAT nail!

So when do you think the GOP will put Glenn Beck or their 'darling' Rush Limbaugh as their Presidential candidate? Or someone from the Log Cabin Republicans like Mary Cheney!

Log Cabin Republicans

Log Cabin Republicans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No one is questioning whether the party supports conservative minorities, of course they do, but your comments have been Republicans do not seek minority candidates. There is a huge difference.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Alan Keyes happens to be a crass fool whose candidacy (when running for the IL senate) was panned by Cheney and the head of the IL Republican party. I do not know if he has ever won a contested primary and he has certainly never been elected to office. But you go ahead and count him as a GOP star, if you want.
Did you read the question? No one is saying how many have been elected, the question was asked about nominating minorities. I also never counted him as a star: you are taking a question and spinning it to fit your views on the man. Or to downplay the fact, yes, Republicans do have candidates that come from all backgrounds and cultures, just like the Democrats. It is a shame when posters are so biased they can't make any sense.

I will add, as a Republican, I would love to see more minorities run for office on our tickets, but they have to be out there and willing to run. We are seeing more and more all the time, most, we see are very conservative, but there are not enough.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
First black Secretary of State: Condoleezza Rice
First black Secretary of Defense: Colin Powell
First black Secretary of State: Colin Powell
First black Supreme Court Justice: Clarence Thomas

And this brings me to the double standards. When Obama ran for POTUS, anyone who opposed him was portrayed as a racist. But when Clarence Thomas was nominated to the SCOTUS, he was openly called an "Uncle Tom" and that was fine with the media. Same for Sonia Sotomayor, anyone who opposed her was anti-hispanic.

I remember when in the 2008 elections, many Latino figures supported Obama, among them Marc Anthony, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez, Cristina Saralegui, etc.... But when Puerto Rican reggaeton singer Daddy Yankee announced his support for John McCain, he was ridiculed to the point where he had to make a public apology.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
This country is 65 percent white and declining. You cannot have an all white party and win anymore. Was proven in 08 and 12, and the percentage of whites are going to continue to decrease, while the numbers of minorities moving to the GOP is not on the increase.
There are plenty of great, conservative black and Hispanic candidates with a great opportunity. Leftist extremists just need to quit trashing them in an attempt for their sad party to get the upper hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections