Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:24 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll take Ben Carson, but no to Rand Paul.
fine with me, we go Ben Carson. I can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
fine with me, we go Ben Carson. I can do that.
There is a reason I don't like Rand Paul. He believes that restaurants should have a choice to say "no Blacks allowed". As a Black man, I find this to be a throwback to the Jim Crow era. I don't care why Rand Paul feels this way. All I know is that it is dangerous for me. I have to look out for myself first. If Ben Carson can find another running mate, I would be happy with that.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:20 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
There is a reason I don't like Rand Paul. He believes that restaurants should have a choice to say "no Blacks allowed". As a Black man, I find this to be a throwback to the Jim Crow era. I don't care why Rand Paul feels this way. All I know is that it is dangerous for me. I have to look out for myself first. If Ben Carson can find another running mate, I would be happy with that.
Because government doesn't own that business. It's the same reason to be against government mandated smoking bans in restaurants. Its the same reason to be against government mandated limits on the size of a soft drink that a business can sell.

Do you actually think there will be many businesses that ban some people and that they'd survive nowadays?
Speaking of looking out for myself, I wish someone would open up a No (fill in the blank) Allowed business near me. Whatever they are selling to a limited field, I'll sell to everyone and advertize that. Drive them out of business, and buy up their property at a reduced rate.

You cannot legislate morality. Government is a very immoral entity. It was government that created the mess in the first place. Jim Crow made it so businesses didn't have a choice. The very ones who did this are now the saviors?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:23 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because government doesn't own that business. It's the same reason to be against government mandated smoking bans in restaurants. Its the same reason to be against government mandated limits on the size of a soft drink that a business can sell.

Do you actually think there will be many businesses that ban some people and that they'd survive nowadays?
Speaking of looking out for myself, I wish some would open up a No (fill in the blank) business near me. Whatever they are selling to a limited field, I'll sell to everyone and advertize that. Drive them out of business, and buy up their property at a reduced rate.

You cannot legislate morality. Government is a very immoral entity.
You can't legislate morality, but there are laws to keep people from discriminating against others. And anyone who is against such laws, I do not trust them. I look out for myself first. Anyone who believes like that, I don't want them in office because I would have to assume they would implement such policies. It is dangerous for me. No, you can't legislate morality. I'm not talking about morality. I'm talking about making such discrimination doesn't take place.

BTW, I would never open up a business and say "no(fill in the blank) allowed".

Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I do not remember him saying that: he did say private businesses should have the right to hire and or serve who they want, he is talking legally, not morally. White or black, most of us think it is wrong to discriminate against anyone without good reason, but what he is saying boils down to the government telling us what we have to do and many of us are tired of them interfering in our lives. That was his point.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:34 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
You can't legislate morality, but there are laws to keep people from discriminating against others. And anyone who is against such laws, I do not trust them. I look out for myself first. Anyone who believes like that, I don't want them in office because I would have to assume they would implement such policies. It is dangerous for me. No, you can't legislate morality. I'm not talking about morality. I'm talking about making such discrimination doesn't take place.
But thats morality. You dont trust someone who says discrimination is repugnant but government should not use force to get what they want. That's not their role. You use civil disobdebience and the free market to expose those who do.
We're talking about someone who wants to end the war on drugs because it unfairly targets minoritites especially those in the inner city. Someone who wants non violent drug offenders to be out of jail and their record expunged as someone you cannot trust?

Redeem Act - "have introduced legislation called the REDEEM Act that would make it easier for juveniles who commit nonviolent crimes to expunge or seal those convictions from their records, lift the federal ban on food stamps and welfare benefits for low-level drug offenders, offer incentives to states that currently try juveniles as adults to encourage them to raise the age to 18, and ban solitary confinement for children, except in the most dangerous cases."

while adults could apply to have their records expunged. Judges would review those applications, under the proposal, by balancing an offender’s interest in “employment” against the public’s interest in “knowledge and safety.” And when ex-offenders win, they would get something pretty rare under federal law – a do-over.

I think it’s the number one impediment or one of the chief impediments to unemployment. People can’t get a job because they have to check off a box saying they’re a felon. There are five million people who have lost the right to vote. There’s also five million people who are out of jail who have been convicted of felonies that I think it’s denying them an opportunity to get a job.

Quote:
BTW, I would never open up a business and say "no(fill in the blank) allowed".
I wasn't saying you would just that if someone does they'd more than likely be driven out of business

Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 PM

663 posts, read 1,145,112 times
Quote:
Oh! I thought he said restaurants should have a choice to say "no Whites allowed". As a white man, I find to be a throwback to life in Philly, when I was told by several possible employers, that they were only hiring women and minorities at the time.

I find it nauseating that it's always Evil white man vs poor heroic black man. Couldn't have just as easily been a black owned restaurant that denied service to white people??? Weird! No one ever presents it that way!

Of course None of this is what was said or meant, but the race baiters will take anything they can get and run with it.
Paul only said government should not be involved in telling Private business owners how to run their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections