Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What Will the GOP Do When They No Longer Have Obama to Blame?

Probably the same thing the DNC has been doing with Bush.

It is Bush's fault.

Bush has about played out, Obama could last for generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Obama blamed Bush for what? If he`s been doing it for 8 years you should be able to provide several examples of this.

Obama: "We Put Two Wars On A Credit Card" | CNS News

White House Beats Dead Horse Again: Blames George Bush For Obama’s Economic Woes
Awkward: Obama Blames Bush for Economy While Standing Next to Him - Kate Hicks

Obama Sharpens His Reminders That He Inherited Fiscal 'Mess' From Bush

Blog: CNN poll: Obama's 'Blame Bush' strategy still working

Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 PM

332 posts, read 344,512 times
This is comical. Bush has done these things, it's a verifiable fact, but you don't want the current president reminding everyone WHY we are in this situation? You can only figure out WHERE you are going next if you know WHY.

Honestly, I believe the GOP's biggest problem is that they haven't come to grips with the disaster that was the last two years of Bush's presidency. This is why all of this hateful rhetoric spewed out - it's more of a frustration at deep down knowing the policies of his presidency were horrible for the country, but affixing that rage onto Obama. There are things, like the Highway Trust Fund, that were never political at any time in this country now being debated with partisan rhetoric. You can't just blame that on him - there's documented history that it wasn't this bad ever; but here we are.

You can see it all over these C-D boards. If you were truly over Bush and the mess, you'd have united behind a leader and had a coherent message for the country. But you don't.

So, blame Obama.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Obama is not my favorite person in the whole world. There are things he could have done differently.

For example, he has opposed the X-cel Pipeline and I happen to think we should build that because of the jobs it will create in this country. The Alaska Pipeline has little effect on the environment there and this whole country is criss-crossed by oil and natural gas pipelines.

However, what stands out is that Obama could say that the sun rose in the east every morning and John Boehner, Mitch McConnell and the rest of the Republican party would argue that he is wrong. No President who was elected to office would have been perfect by a longshot.

When the conservatives claim Obama is the most liberal President in history, I wonder what they are talking about. With the exception of the ACA (which is really just Mitt Romney's idea in Massachusetts applied to the rest of the country) he has barely gotten anything through Congress at all. He couldn't be the most liberal President in history simply because Congress has only gone a long with one or two of his suggestions. Lyndon Johnson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Teddy Roosevelt passed hordes of legislation which one could call "progressive" or "liberal" depending on their orientation. I think Obama is closer to being an "ineffective President" than a liberal President.

Anyway, this man whatever his accomplishments (or lack thereof) has served as a lightning rod for the right. He is criticized no matter what he does. He could save a drowning child and get blamed for it.

I seriously who the right wing will direct their anger against, once Obama leaves office.
As long as a dem is in the white house that dem will receive the republicans scorn.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
This is comical. Bush has done these things, it's a verifiable fact, but you don't want the current president reminding everyone WHY we are in this situation? You can only figure out WHERE you are going next if you know WHY.

Honestly, I believe the GOP's biggest problem is that they haven't come to grips with the disaster that was the last two years of Bush's presidency. This is why all of this hateful rhetoric spewed out - it's more of a frustration at deep down knowing the policies of his presidency were horrible for the country, but affixing that rage onto Obama. There are things, like the Highway Trust Fund, that were never political at any time in this country now being debated with partisan rhetoric. You can't just blame that on him - there's documented history that it wasn't this bad ever; but here we are.
+
Come to grips? Boy are you reaching. The last two years of Bushes disaster BOTH sides figured out too late it wasn't wise to go into Iraq as well as it wasn't wise to manipulate the Free market in the housing industry. I wonder if, like unlike voters, they'll go learn from their mistakes.

Quote:
You can see it all over these C-D boards. If you were truly over Bush and the mess, you'd have united behind a leader and had a coherent message for the country. But you don't.

So, blame Obama.
A leader to unite behind, to run my life for me? no thanks We need leaders that allow states and local governments to run things.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:50 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:

So, blame Obama.
Wouldn't we have to have a leader with a coherent message, who speaks the truth, for the country to unite behind? I know that this doesn't describe Obama.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
A leader to unite behind, to run my life for me? no thanks We need leaders that allow states and local governments to run things.
I wasn't talking about Obama. I was talking about the Republican party, right now.

All political parties need leaders, and the GOP doesn't have one. That is a problem!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Wouldn't we have to have a leader with a coherent message, who speaks the truth, for the country to unite behind? I know that this doesn't describe Obama.
Who cares if it describes Obama or not? And yes, the GOP needs a leader with a message for the country to unite behind it. Or you just blame Obama with no solutions.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:48 PM

The last couple of posts personifies the question in the OP. If you get asked the question he or she asked, the answer is not to start blaming Obama for things wrong in the country. Yes, we get it that he has ruined the country.

But what clear, coherent, unified message are you going to get behind when he's gone?

Liberals had to get a clear message about the future before voters would give them a chance again, even though Bush's last couple of years were a disaster. The voters were not just going to reward them with the reins again if all they hollered was Bush, Bush, Bush with nothing behind that rage. They unified (mostly). But the GOP would rather blame Obama and not deal with reality. Reality is NOT a conspiracy theory. And even if all these conspiracy theories are true, at some point you have to get past that and get in sync with 1) what the voters want and 2) communicate that CLEARLY.

"Obama abused the IRS!" - cannot be the rallying cry if you don't have any solutions (not based on ideology and wouldn't pass Congress) that will fix that department.

But keep trying, I guess.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,330 times
I don't think Obama will wind up an academic...I think he's going to wind up on the Supreme Court. There is precedent for that and he'd be good at it. Deliberation and weighing the law is his style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections