Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Can I not vote or how do I voice this public opinion? I don't like my choices.

I didn't nominate any of these guys and I refuse to choose one awful leader from another awfu leader

Stay home. Kick back. Pop a cold one and watch the Kardashians and Orange is the new black, like all the Democrats are going to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 04:11 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:

I didn't nominate any of these guys and I refuse to choose one awful leader from another awfu leader

this is how Obama won so many stayed home
how did that work out for us??
4 figgin million sat their ass home!!!! I could slap every damn one of them!!!
I refuse to sit home and not vote we can not take more progressives
good grief there are no perfect candidates

Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:

I do wish we had a "None of the Above" option in the US. Some countries do. I can think of a few times I would have preferred it (of course, you can leave part of the ballot blank if you do not like either candidate, but it doesn't carry the same meaning IMO.)

Old 10-19-2014, 11:14 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:

Bob Dylan once suggested that we've always had a choice between the flu and a good case of malaria.
From personal experience I'll choose the flu over malaria any day. So get out and vote and choose the ailment you have!

Old 10-19-2014, 11:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I do wish we had a "None of the Above" option in the US. Some countries do. I can think of a few times I would have preferred it (of course, you can leave part of the ballot blank if you do not like either candidate, but it doesn't carry the same meaning IMO.)
Only one U.S. state I know of has anything resembling NOTA: Nevada. Nevada has a "None Of These Candidates" option, but it's practically ineffective. If you have a race where NOTC gets more votes than the other "candidates", the second-place candidate still wins. There was a lot of court wrangling about the NOTC option, dating back to the elections in 2012, but the courts have allowed NOTC to stay. It's nothing more than a protest vote, as an NOTC victory wouldn't result in new elections or anything.

As for other voting systems, the one we use (first-past-the-post, or FPTP) may make a bit of sense, but it sucks in practice, as it basically ensures that third parties will never gain much of a foothold in U.S. politics. There are other systems that do allow for increased third party participation and more representative government, such as preferential voting, where voters can rank candidates.

- skbl17

Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
this is how Obama won so many stayed home
how did that work out for us??
4 figgin million sat their ass home!!!! I could slap every damn one of them!!!
I refuse to sit home and not vote we can not take more progressives
good grief there are no perfect candidates

Too funny!

Regardless who you voted for you were going to get a Progressive.
Romney wasn't shy about it, admitting he is a Progressive Republican.

You can thank Romney and the media for disenfranchising the 4 million hardcore Ron Paul crowd.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Many wish that were the case, but think of the expense in trying to get a candidate that could get 50% of the vote? You would have so many checking NOTA, so the one with the most votes, regardless would still be the winner or you would have a run off or start from scratch. In America it just isn't a workable plan.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,027 times
I don't like Democrats or Republicans as most are purchased by special interest groups that do things like harm & kill us to make their billions. The Libertarian Party cares about the 100% equally. They are for returning all of our Constitutional rights, including cannabis being legal again. They also try to control spending as so much is wasted on nonsense like paying back generous campaign contributions with many times that in taxpayer money, usually to do something that will harm us.

Libertarians will never compromise on their issues positions, no matter how much money is given. lp dot org/ for their issues positions & list of candidates for next Tuesday. Also, you can go to your secretary of state site for all candidates, or use a voter guide like votesmart dot org/ Best wishes!

Quote:

Old 10-28-2014, 08:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I don't like Democrats or Republicans as most are purchased by special interest groups that do things like harm & kill us to make their billions. The Libertarian Party cares about the 100% equally. They are for returning all of our Constitutional rights, including cannabis being legal again. They also try to control spending as so much is wasted on nonsense like paying back generous campaign contributions with many times that in taxpayer money, usually to do something that will harm us.

Libertarians will never compromise on their issues positions, no matter how much money is given. lp dot org/ for their issues positions & list of candidates for next Tuesday. Also, you can go to your secretary of state site for all candidates, or use a voter guide like votesmart dot org/ Best wishes!

That is the way I'm rolling. Of course the neocons in Ohio made sure that they rigged it so that 3rd party candidates cannot get on this year's ballot. I'll be writing the candidates in.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Don't vote then. Why in the world would you want to hang your hat on the lessor of 2 evils? It's still evil? There has to be other candidates who are running, someone has to be good. If not write your own name in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections