Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I am assuming you couldn't show up drunk at the voting booth and vote.

So, with Colorado and Utah now passing legalized pot.
Can you go to the booth and vote high?

And yes, I am being a smart as*
Cause, I think legalizing pot is bad in so many ways, and I thought of this scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 01:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

Cause, I think legalizing pot is bad in so many ways, and I thought of this scenario.
I really don't know if you could be turned away from voting for being drunk in most states. When I first moved to IL as a newlywed in 1971, the liquor stores were closed on election day. Within a few years that changed. My husband (now ex) said he thought they wanted people to be voting in their usual state of mind!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:19 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I think I was high when I voted for Richard Nixon. (but he did end the war)

Old 11-07-2014, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

Unless I am missing something Utah certainly has not legalized pot. Of all states they would be one of the last to do so. Where did you get that information?

Can you show up drunk or on drugs, who is going to give you a sobriety test?

Old 11-08-2014, 03:06 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
There may be laws in some states that disqualify drunk voters, but if they exist, they're old laws. I don't think any are on the books that disqualify any intoxicant other than liquor, as alcohol is the most used intoxicant of them all, and has always been the most.

There is no disqualification for the totally ignorant, the insane, the mentally challenged, or those who have lost their minds to dementia or Alzhiemer's. In comparison to those voters' numbers, the drunks and the stoners who show up in their usual condition aren't much to worry over.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There may be laws in some states that disqualify drunk voters, but if they exist, they're old laws. I don't think any are on the books that disqualify any intoxicant other than liquor, as alcohol is the most used intoxicant of them all, and has always been the most.

There is no disqualification for the totally ignorant, the insane, the mentally challenged, or those who have lost their minds to dementia or Alzhiemer's. In comparison to those voters' numbers, the drunks and the stoners who show up in their usual condition aren't much to worry over.
Way back when, in California and probably other states you couldn't buy a drink on election day until after the polls closed. I think it was a good idea. I have no idea when the law was changed, but I know it was.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:55 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Can you vote under the influlence?

Quote:

Were you under the "influlence" when posing this question?

Old 11-08-2014, 11:50 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Can you vote under the influlence?

Were you under the "influlence" when posing this question?
Had to be with thinking of Utah legalizing weed...THAT ain't gonna happen

Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
With so many voting precincts in schools, I imagine there would be some laws against being drunk on a school campus. Churches or other buildings, probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections