Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:52 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I would have a hard time voting for Huckabee. He is a big government statist with respect to certain matters, like tobacco use.
He also seems to have a temper like Hillary, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 03:05 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
this combo would get hammered.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:16 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
I'm foaming at the mouth.

The only GOP candidate with a snails chance is Christie, because he has governed as a centrist in a blue state. All the other GOP potentials are bat**** crazy to mainstream America.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:21 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I'm foaming at the mouth.

The only GOP candidate with a snails chance is Christie, because he has governed as a centrist in a blue state. All the other GOP potentials are bat**** crazy to mainstream America.
I'm afraid you and your fringe party are in no position to judge what mainstream America is or what it wants. The last election is proof of that.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Huckabee is definitely more moderate than many of the most vocal members of the GOP today (that's not to say he is a moderate). He campaigned for mild tax increases to improve spending on the state's schools and parks. He also supported gasoline tax increases, among others, and was criticized by the club for growth. He was also on the exploratory committee for Lamar Alexander's possible presidential bid in 2000 (talk about the face of mainstream center-right politics). Of course he did also support many tax cuts, mostly things like eliminating the marriage penalty, child tax credit increases, and elimination of capital gains taxes on home sales. Things that affect everyday working Americans. I would think this pragmatism would be welcomed in a general election, but tough to get through a primary. I see I am alone in that boat!

As far as social issues go, I don't see that his stances are significantly different than any other Republican. While a narrow majority of Americans now support gay marriage (assuming polls don't overstate support. History suggests they probably do), it is very low on the list of priorities for voters. I'm sure very few people would vote based on that issue

Old 11-14-2014, 08:11 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I'm foaming at the mouth....
Most liberals would not admit this; such honesty is very much appreciated.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Unlike Trace, many of us predicted the results of the last election for POTUS very accurately.

Christie is not electable, too many meltdowns. But the GOP does need an urban, mainstream America, Blue State candidate.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Unlike Trace, many of us predicted the results of the last election for POTUS very accurately.

Christie is not electable, too many meltdowns. But the GOP does need an urban, mainstream America, Blue State candidate.
Why? Bill Clinton was from Arkansas, Jimmy Carter was from Georgia and George W Bush was from Texas. They all won elections. I looked at the election map and America doesn't seem to be very blue state oriented these days and the Republican party is not urban (looking at the same map). What's mainstream about high taxes and high cost of living? That's what I associate with blue states. We don't want to be like them. They don't want to be like them which is why Giuliani pinned all his hope on Florida transplants from NY.

Christie is not electable now, in my opinion, because he's a NJ Bubble Boy just like Giuliani and NY. They've never lived anyplace else. Can you imagine that - never living anyplace else in your life and thinking you can relate to other people and their issues? They can't relate to people and their issues outside of their regional bubble. I think Christie should run for the Senate, hear about other states and their issues and keep yelling at elected people there. I'd clap. He's young enough to run for President in a different year.

Either Christie or Giuliani would also make a great Attorney General.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Christie showed in the bridge debacle that he has no business being in politics. Do we really want another president that sets out to harm people for not voting for them?

Old 11-15-2014, 09:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Mike Huckabee and John Thune are from the heartland...Arkansas and Minnesota. Yes, John Thune is unknown and is charisma-free, but he can help with young voters, help in the Midwest and is very telegenic on TV. Thoughts?
Mr. Mike would have to loose a hundred pounds or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections