Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times

Advertisements

I am democrat and most people would think I am much more liberal than conservative.

I don't follow the "party line" when it comes to everything though. In the interests of trying to use the next two years productively, I would propose the following agenda:

1. Let's approve the Keystone Pipeline without any further delay. It will mean more jobs for a country still struggling to recover from a recession. Most of the jobs will be higher paying ones. Also, it will ultimately mean cheaper gas at the gas pump for all of us.

2. On immigration. The GOP wants tighter border security. Let's pass a bill doing exactly that. Tighter border security has nothing to do with giving some kind of legal status to immigrants already in this country. That should be a trade off: Tighter border security for granting the people already here in this country some type of status that will allow them to work and possibly, in the far distant future, allowing them to become permanent residents and citizens.

3. Let's work together to combat ISIS. No more name calling. Democrats can stop blaming the policies of GWB. Republicans can start working with Obama instead of criticizing decisions he has made in the past.

4. Affordable Care Act. Whether the GOP likes it or not, its not going anywhere, at least in the next two years. However, if the tax on medical equipment upsets them, repeal could be considered if there is a way to "make up" this lost revenue. We certainly should be willing to listen with an open mind to any ideas.

I'm also willing to listen to any other suggestions. I would hope we could keep this particular exchange constructive, rather than going negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,551,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I am democrat and most people would think I am much more liberal than conservative.

I don't follow the "party line" when it comes to everything though. In the interests of trying to use the next two years productively, I would propose the following agenda:

1. Let's approve the Keystone Pipeline without any further delay. It will mean more jobs for a country still struggling to recover from a recession. Most of the jobs will be higher paying ones. Also, it will ultimately mean cheaper gas at the gas pump for all of us.

2. On immigration. The GOP wants tighter border security. Let's pass a bill doing exactly that. Tighter border security has nothing to do with giving some kind of legal status to immigrants already in this country. That should be a trade off: Tighter border security for granting the people already here in this country some type of status that will allow them to work and possibly, in the far distant future, allowing them to become permanent residents and citizens.

3. Let's work together to combat ISIS. No more name calling. Democrats can stop blaming the policies of GWB. Republicans can start working with Obama instead of criticizing decisions he has made in the past.

4. Affordable Care Act. Whether the GOP likes it or not, its not going anywhere, at least in the next two years. However, if the tax on medical equipment upsets them, repeal could be considered if there is a way to "make up" this lost revenue. We certainly should be willing to listen with an open mind to any ideas.

I'm also willing to listen to any other suggestions. I would hope we could keep this particular exchange constructive, rather than going negative.
Many of the things you propose are indeed possible except for one thing. Obama will not consider them unless they fall in lockstep with what he personally wants. Several of these things have been proposed, even gain bipartisan support, then Obama steps in and kills them.

Get him to actually compromise, not just "my way or the highway" and then see what happens.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,068 times
Im for the Keystone pipeline as well for the jobs it will create but thinking it's going to lower our gas prices is a pipe dream, no pun intended.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
I am neutral on the Keystone Pipeline. I think a fair compromise would be to approve that (GOP would be happy), along with an infrastructure initiative (Dems would be happy), aimed at roads, bridges, and high speed rail. All these initiatives would put Joe six pack back to work, as well as younger workers who want to work. The working class dude and the younguns were the ones most impacted by the recession. They would lower the unemployment rate and help the larger economy as well, and of couse, create opportunities for the future.

Markg, I am a lot like you. I lean left, most strongly on environmental and social justice issues, but I am fairly independent in my opinions, and I have no problem acknowledging a good idea from the right, when I see it. What I can't stand is the heads I win, tails you lose kind of thinking that dominates our current political environment. It is like winning is the only point. Governance and serving the people is an afterthought. Hopefully, now that the GOP had a victory, they will be in a more magnanimous place.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:13 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,826 times
I would be in favor of the pipeline if they also pass an infrastructure bill. It's a shame so many of our bridges and roads are crumbling, some outright dangerous.

I'm tired of more border security, if they would pass e-verify, it would solve a big chunk of illegal immigration.

And yes, let's stomp out ISIS

Old 11-16-2014, 04:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
I'm with you, OP. On all 4 points.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
We shall see!

Quote:
No and No. The Keystone Pipeline will create a grand total of....

THIRTY FIVE Permanent jobs.

No thanks. The Keystone Pipeline is a dead giveway to oil barons. It also just hinders are committment to fighting climate change.

Quote:
I'm not too keen on the issue but that is probably what is being proposed. The big issue was Congress complaining about immigration, yet not proposing any bill...

Quote:
ISIS is a bunch of paid mercenaries. ISIS is not a threat to the United States.

Quote:
The ACA is all about politics. The GOP has no objection to the ACA unless they are blatant hypocrites. It's the Republican's health care law to begin with.

Quote:
Unfortunately, "compromise" is an irrational position to take on most matters.

Middle Ground
Claiming the middle ground between two extremes must be the truth.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:

Heck no on number 2.!

Old 11-16-2014, 10:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I think the biggest problem democrats face is the leadership taking the Elections have consequence line in 2008. It was foolish to not allow compromise on ACA and now they own it. Basically they declared they did have to include Republicans in governing. We now see Obama continuing the same course. I don't see Republicans giving up what got them to this point which includes the largest majority in house since Truman plus the senate. Not to even counting the statehouse gains last two elections. As the democratic ACA that Republicans have no skin in becomes more and more clear as to its terms; it may just be the gift that keeps on giving for Republicans.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
The so-called "Affordable" Care Act is going down. It is crumbling under it's own weight, it's high cost, mountainous regulations and massive bureaucracy, and the deception under which it was passed (Johnathan Gruber).

Gruber effectively destroyed the government's case now to be heard by the Supreme Court, whether or not subsidies apply to those who purchase their plans from the Government Exchange (vs. the State), the plain language being that they apply only to those who purchase from the State exchanges. The Government argues that was a "typo," but Gruber has made it plain that it was by intent, that subsidies only were to apply to those who purchased from the state exchanges (this was to be an "incentive" for the States to set up exchanges).

Additionally, Obamacare has been the cause of millions of Americans losing their insurance, and there are likely more uninsured Americans today than before the ACA took effect. This is because people simply can't afford it.

It was a bad law to begin with, passed with no Republican support, and with no one having read the bill ("We must pass this bill; then we will find out what's in it." — Nancy Pelosi).

Bad laws should be repealed, and this one is especially bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections