Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 08:48 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I would vote for the man simply based on the fact that he has already crossed the macho thresholds of being a war hero, squiring attractive women and meeting his families expectations. Come Jan 2017 it will have been 24 years since we had a President who didn't need extensive therapy to get over perceived slights, narcissism, some weird Freudian issues or a need to be cool. He see him as a 'man' in the sense that he is fully independent and takes responsibility for his own decisions/accomplishments separate from other people & entities. And again- its been a while since we've had one of those. (And no I don't think Hilary meets that threshold.)
Good post I am interested in Webb, but I am not sold on him yet. I think it's possible that his liberalism and his affiliation with the democratic party will lead to his demise. It seems these days that white men and the democratic party don't mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Webb seems like someone that all sides can get behind... Without first researching the details of his positions, if he survived the playoffs, and depending on how many skeletons come out of his closet, I think he is electable.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Webb seems like someone that all sides can get behind... Without first researching the details of his positions, if he survived the playoffs, and depending on how many skeletons come out of his closet, I think he is electable.
He might be electable but the secret is: can he even get the nomination? And does he have the fire in his belly to really go after it?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Your posts show that you know politics! However, I can see that your ideology seems to have skewed your view of reality. Obama and Clinton are well respected in the military? What did Robert Gates say about Obama? What leads you to this conclusion? I know a little about the military, and I would say that your assessment is wrong.
Also, your statements about police, terrorism, and ISIS show that you view things differently than many of us.
ISIS is a problem far away? So, the US should do NOTHING? That kind of thinking leads to OUR soldiers AND CITIZENS getting killed! Why don't we let Hitler or Saddam have control of Europe? What about the Boston Marathon bombings or the DC Navy Yard, or the Oklahoma beheading, Fort Hood? Are these things far away? How many terror attacks do we have to have in the US for it to be a problem? Again, Hillary will have to answer her own actions (i.e. Benghazi) regarding the military. If she can't get the job done as secretary of state, then how can she be president?
I don't know about Obama and the military but I do know you are right: Bill Clinton was not.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:12 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I certainly am not black and there are other who are white that didn't think he deserved what he got. I will add though, which has only been mentioned a few times, the one thing we do not know is: was his death somewhat a result of his really poor health? We will never know this for certain, the choke hold may not have killed a healthy person. I am not justifying what happened, over reaction for sure, but we do have to consider this.
That was mentioned before, and while it's impossible to know, here's one thing we do know: the medical examine ruled his death was a homicide. I know it's not fair that this event reflects badly on police in general, but for someone to be murdered by law enforcement for selling individual cigarettes is unconscionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know about Obama and the military but I do know you are right: Bill Clinton was not.
And how difficult was it for him to be elected twice? I mean no disrespect to the military, and I do appreciate what they do, but how they vote usually isn't decisive. While they do seem to be mostly Republican, there's some evidence they aren't uniformly so. This is a pretty good TIME article:
Does the Military Vote Really Lean Republican? | TIME.com

Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
That was mentioned before, and while it's impossible to know, here's one thing we do know: the medical examine ruled his death was a homicide. I know it's not fair that this event reflects badly on police in general, but for someone to be murdered by law enforcement for selling individual cigarettes is unconscionable.

And how difficult was it for him to be elected twice? I mean no disrespect to the military, and I do appreciate what they do, but how they vote usually isn't decisive. While they do seem to be mostly Republican, there's some evidence they aren't uniformly so. This is a pretty good TIME article:
Once again, you are putting politics ahead of the real issue. Is it important that a commander -in-chief be well respected by his own military? Most Americans would say yes, without reservation. But, you (and most dems) don't think it's a big deal. Why is it ok for a democratic president to be a weak commander -in-chief? I think the problem is that dems (in general) don't care one ounce about the military people. And, they also realize that most Americans do not relate to the military lifestyle. AND, they also realize that the media doesn't care either. We see this same attitude regarding police. Fortunately, there are still a lot of patriotic Americans who continue to put their life on the line despite the criticism and disrespect. I think many Americans are waking up to the fact that dems (the politicians, not necessarily the voters) are anti-military. These independent minded people are siding with republicans instead of democrats. It's ironic that you think the old white men are the republican voters, when it is the old dems who are fading away. The dems have no hope with white voters, and therefore must demonize them in order to win all other minorities.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post

I have to say, 1-I take most of what is or used to appear in Time magazine as leaning to the left. I haven't read the blog but would guess it is about the same or maybe more to the left and 2-I think what many of us are referring to right now, is the respect or lack of same our leader, regardless of who it is gets from the military, not does the military vote determine the outcome of many elections.

As for the death of Eric, yes, it was a homicide, but most do not totally understand the meaning of homicide. This doesn't mean, his overall health did not contribute to his death. .

Old 01-10-2015, 11:46 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
I like Webb.
Much would depend on his skill, and the skills of his campaign staff, especially if Hillary announces.
Right now, it is to both's advantage not to announce early; there is surely a lot of goings-on right now finding big funding sources. I suspect that whoever announces early will be confident they can go the distance.

Hillary probably is very close to having all the commitments she needs, but she will want to wait until she knows who she's up against before she jumps in. She's probably also keeping a close eye on her polls and all, too.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Hillary is a binary switch. Either she decides to drop out to enjoy her millions, her grandchild, and attend to her health in the remaining years of her life, or she runs and obliterates any competition from other Democrats. If she runs she'll have the experience, the organization, and the money. Very few have even heard of Jim Webb. I asked a friend of mine who is a solid progressive and intelligent young guy what he thought of Webb. His reply was "who?"

Barack Obama might want to stop the Clinton machine, assuming that Ed Klein is not full of BS, but I don't see how he will be able to do it. As of now he has no protégé to carry on for him, and the hour is late.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:58 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,179,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Hillary is a binary switch. Either she decides to drop out to enjoy her millions, her grandchild, and attend to her health in the remaining years of her life, or she runs and obliterates any competition from other Democrats. If she runs she'll have the experience, the organization, and the money. Very few have even heard of Jim Webb. I asked a friend of mine who is a solid progressive and intelligent young guy what he thought of Webb. His reply was "who?"

Barack Obama might want to stop the Clinton machine, assuming that Ed Klein is not full of BS, but I don't see how he will be able to do it. As of now he has no protégé to carry on for him, and the hour is late.

Poppycock. How do you know how many people have or haven't heard of Jim Webb? One low information voter, no matter how young, "progressive" and intelligent is not representative. Does Webb have the name recognition of Hillary? No. So what? That'll change quickly if he decides to run.

Republicans would pit their shants if Webb ended up being the nominee. Repubs desperately want Hillary to run. I get it.

I see what you're doing here. Gotcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections