Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:37 PM

607 posts, read 923,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
It's a good thing for the democratic process.
Maybe it evens out the funding discrepancies...but there's no denying that it makes no sense that IA/NH/SC residents have so much more impact on who the candidates are than other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 PM

296 posts, read 1,184,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
Maybe it evens out the funding discrepancies...but there's no denying that it makes no sense that IA/NH/SC residents have so much more impact on who the candidates are than other states.
No process is perfect, but at least you avoid SOME of the issues of the big money candidates simply steamrolling through with no effort.

It is each individual candidate's choice to choose how much effort to put in, how much money to spend, and when to or not to drop out of the race.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,566,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This year above all others, the canidates are just FLOODING Iowa and making this some "make or break" situation. The media is totally going along with it as well. It's not like anyone HAS to drop out just cause they don't win in little ole Iowa.

I think it's become outrageous and stupid, but it's not really Iowa's fault.
I strongly disagree, McCain and Guiliani, Kucinich, Dodd, Richardson, Biden have not done much in IA b/c there is no way they can win b/c they can't get 15% or more. In the caucus system for the Dems *only*you need minimum 15% of the voters to make you "viable" after the first round of voting, if you don't have that after first round of voting the voters who support Kucinich, Dodd et all can either join another politicians group, sort of forming a coalition, or go home. Never to have their votes even recorded! Since Kucinich et all dont have that stong of support they'll never win or even get close. When's the last time you even saw their polling numbers in Iowa? I can't recall ever. I gurantee you'll see some Dems dropping out after tonight. The whole thing is really strange. I don't understand why 2 small mostly white states that don't really encompass all of america get to have so much influence. NO disrespect is meant to IA or NH , I just don't get it. I don't understand why we can't all just vote on the same day, albeit later in the year, say May.

Even if we voted in thirds if a canadate falls behind by the time it would get to the third region some of said canadates supports would be down and might not even go out thinking he has no chance to win. We kind of have that system now , it's just the later states that deal with this problem.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,550,169 times
I wouldn't mind seeing a combination of small and large states get the first of the primaries. We'd have a better idea of who the voters prefer.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:53 PM

139 posts, read 375,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Does anybody have a problem with these relatively insignificant states (no offense to the natives) with tiny populations always getting the power to basically decide the frontrunners for both parties? Doesn't this tradition seem a little screwy?
I agree with you, I wonder how it became Iowa and New Hampshire instead of heavily populated states (like California, New York, Florida, or Texas).

Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM

139 posts, read 375,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
I live in Florida. No matter who any other state caucus choses....I'm sure we'll figure out a way to screw up the final election.
LOL!
That was too funny

Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,925,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
No, actually it makes perfect sense.

The small populations make it possible for lesser candidates to have a shot against the big money candidates. A person can go town to town, talk to small groups of people, really get their message out, and have a chance to come out of Iowa and N.H. with a real shot to get on a roll and maybe take the nomination.

If you had a general primary election, you'd have simply the big $ candidates dominating. They may ultimately win out anyway, but with this system, far more perspectives from each party get a voice.

It's a good thing for the democratic process.
But the less-funded candidate ends up expending a much larger percentage of their war-chest, so if they don't win, they withdraw from the race because they can't afford to continue. I don't know if this is such a good thing for the democratic process, but I do get what you are saying about the small populations making it easier for the candidate to get out and meet the people and hear what voters are saying.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM

49 posts, read 196,348 times
After listening for over 3 years to all the coverage and the commercials I wish some other state did have the "honor" of being first. I also wish that the candidates could only start campaigning 6 months before the caucus and that once they do, they have to give up their job as Govenor or Senator!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,906,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a combination of small and large states get the first of the primaries. We'd have a better idea of who the voters prefer.
Agreed. The sample would need to include large and small, North and South.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,176,616 times
If you don't like the primary system, blame the parties. They set the dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections