Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb76 View Post
Is it fair to say that everyone on here would want their state to be first? Perhaps because I don't live in a state that represents the "cross section of America" my opinion or vote doesn't matter? Would the outcome in November really be so different if CA or NY or TX etc went first? I'm not being difficult I am just looking to make sense out of these statements.
Oh, you get a "say," just some us think the inordinate amount of power that IA and NH have is unwarranted.

People have a herd mentality. I saw a news report around midnight about how some little town in BFE New Hampshire had just "rallied" behind Obama and McCain. 75 people in the town. A fraction voted. Priceless headlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Does anybody have a problem with these relatively insignificant states (no offense to the natives) with tiny populations always getting the power to basically decide the frontrunners for both parties? Doesn't this tradition seem a little screwy?
Yes, but then again, I wouldn't want California and New York picking my presidential candidates, either.

There have actually been some ideas to change the primary process. One is to divide the country into Regions (example: Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Midwest, etc.) and then rotate who goes first. So, if the Southwest went first in 2008, the Midwest would go first in 2012, etc..

Another is to have all of the small states go early, followed by the medium states, followed by the big states. That one was called the Delaware Plan.
17 States, territories and the District of Columbia would hold primaries in February. Another group of slightly bigger states would vote in March, another in April. And the biggest states would wait until May with the premise that it's decided at the end by the larger states, "gives the smaller states an opportunity to participate with candidates and it gives the candidates an opportunity to go to those states and they don't need a large war chest to go into those states." (Delaware GOP Chairman)

Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 PM

31 posts, read 81,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Oh, you get a "say," just some us think the inordinate amount of power that IA and NH have is unwarranted.

People have a herd mentality. I saw a news report around midnight about how some little town in BFE New Hampshire had just "rallied" behind Obama and McCain. 75 people in the town. A fraction voted. Priceless headlines.
Yes, that town is almost in Canada. Very far from where I am. I don't think we have that much power but then again, I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections