Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Why the double standard? When a conservative man cries, it moves Americans everywhere. Oh, how humanizing! I feel so fuzzy inside!

When a woman cries, she's "weak," will "cave into the terrorists," "too emotional to lead."

You simply can't make this stuff up:

On Mitt Romney:

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/01/05/20080107164409990001 (broken link)

Mitt Romney’s eyes filled with tears Monday as the Republican presidential contender recalled watching the casket of a soldier killed in Iraq return to the United States and imagined if it were one of his five sons. Adding a poignant twist to a story he often tells on the campaign, Romney recalled the scene at Boston’s Logan International Airport while he was Massachusetts governor. [AP, 12/17/07]

But the fact that he teared up, people said, “Whoa, we thought he was so wooden and robotic, and there he is actually tearing up.” So actually, I think it does have an impact. It’s a genuine moment. It seems genuine. [Newsweek’s Richard Wolffe, MSNBC, 12/17/07]

President Bush:

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/0a/07/20080107164309990013 (broken link)

The pictures were just what the White House wanted: A teary-eyed President Bush presenting the Medal of Honor posthumously to a slain war hero in the East Room. [Washington Post, 1/12/07]

A tear rolled down Bush’s cheek during the event, an extraordinary display of emotion by the commander-in-chief. Bush has been known to tear up and reportedly once cried in a private meeting with war widows. [Chicago Sun-Times, 1/12/07]

The president is tremendously sentimental. Forget about putting his parents anywhere near him. At his inauguration he purposely kept them out of his line of sight so he could stay as dry-eyed as possible. He has learned not to brush the tears away. [Newsweek, 4/02]

Defense Secretary Robert Gates

Robert Gates almost broke down as he gave a speech at a Marine Corps dinner. … Mr Gates’s show of feeling suggests that he brings a more human side to the role of defence secretary. [BBC, 7/19/07]

What is less often visible is the toll this war takes on the people who run the operation. Tonight we have a rare glimpse of emotion from a man who normally carefully chooses his words, the Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates. … a rare public display of emotion from the civilian in charge of this war effort. [NBC News, 7/19/07]

George H.W. Bush

Wiping away tears as he recalled praying at Camp David before ordering the start of the Persian Gulf war, President Bush today offered a testimony of emotion, politics and faith to a cheering crowd of thousands of Southern Baptists. [New York Times, 7/7/91]

I mean, wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Well for what it is worth, there is a context that matters. While I personally view the two men pictured above as spoiled opportunist who I hold in the lowest regard, I have to look at why Hillary was crying. She was crying because she isn't doing well as she had hoped she would. I think it is the stress of a protracted campaign taking an emotional toll. Whether or not Romney, Bush or Gates were sincere, they were crying at the loss of human life, not a difficult campaign.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Did you hear her crying, Topper? It didn't seem to me she was crying at all, but was choked up about what she was saying: and it wasn't about losing. Just heard a clip on the radio.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Did you hear her crying, Topper? It didn't seem to me she was crying at all, but was choked up about what she was saying: and it wasn't about losing. Just heard a clip on the radio.

they showed that clip on TV today. she was NOT crying, just emotional.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
I thought Hillary sounded very sincere when I watched the clip on TV. I have no doubt that she cares deeply for this country.

I'm also touched by the men mentioned in the first post. Well, except for that second photo. Are they certain that there wasn't an air conditioning duct dripping over where that photo was taken?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well for what it is worth, there is a context that matters. While I personally view the two men pictured above as spoiled opportunist who I hold in the lowest regard, I have to look at why Hillary was crying. She was crying because she isn't doing well as she had hoped she would. I think it is the stress of a protracted campaign taking an emotional toll. Whether or not Romney, Bush or Gates were sincere, they were crying at the loss of human life, not a difficult campaign.
Exactly. If she can't take a tough campaign, she has no business even running.

This could well become Hillary's Dean Scream.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Hillary Clinton has already done more for the United States than all of the candidates, except John McCain, will ever do. I am a Republican and without changing parties, I will not have the opportunity to vote for her in the primary, but I cannot understand why people love to hate her. Could it be that you are jealous of her because you know she is a stronger person than you are? That's what I think. I have the highest regard and respect for Hillary Clinton.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 PM

607 posts, read 923,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Hillary Clinton has already done more for the United States than all of the candidates, except John McCain, will ever do. I am a Republican and without changing parties, I will not have the opportunity to vote for her in the primary, but I cannot understand why people love to hate her. Could it be that you are jealous of her because you know she is a stronger person than you are? That's what I think. I have the highest regard and respect for Hillary Clinton.
Please explain to me what Hillary Clinton has accomplished. There is a 10+ page thread about her accomplishments and from what I recall people had a pretty hard time coming up with anything besides a failed health care plan, overlooking adultery for political means, failing to deliver campaign promises in New York, and repositioning herself based on the polls. The only thing I may be jealous of Clinton for is the power she has gained. However, I think she is merely power hungry and a worthless politican. She attempts to appease everybody but in the end ends up looking like she cares about no one but herself.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
I agree.

And it makes me sick what a female candidate has to endure in these elections. First, they made fun of her pantsuits, said she didn't look feminine, and even tried to paint her as a lesbian. Then, they made a big to-do about a half-inch of cleavage showing from one of her blouses, said it was "un-feminine" for her to respond sharply to criticism, and now make a federal case out of her getting choked up very briefly at a discussion.

Even though half of the country is female, the U.S. is apparently not beyond the "politics is a man's business" mentality and it's really sad. Women such as Hillary have made positive contributions and shown themselves to be good leaders but it's still not enough to change the Neanderthal mentality that a U.S. president HAS to be male.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
From her website:

"As a law student, Hillary represented foster children and parents in family court and worked on some of the earliest studies creating legal standards for identifying and protecting abused children. Following graduation, she became a staff attorney for the Children's Defense Fund.

After serving as only one of two women lawyers on the staff of the House Judiciary Committee considering the impeachment of Richard Nixon, Hillary chose not to pursue offers from major law firms. Instead she followed her heart and a man named Bill Clinton to Arkansas.

Hillary ran a legal aid clinic for the poor when she first got to Arkansas and handled cases of foster care and child abuse. Years later, she organized a group called Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families. When she was just 30, President Carter appointed her to the board of the United States Legal Services Corporation, a federal nonprofit program that funds legal assistance for the poor.

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/ (broken link)

There's more but if anyone is really interested in Hillary's record, they can actually do some research.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 01-08-2008 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Do not use full articles or pieces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections