Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Interesting. Yes, the meeting was "scheduled" prior to Bush and Romney doing some serious jockeying for position. I think Jeb might have felt that Romney, after his 2012 loss, would gracefully become an elder statesman and advisor. Not so fast.

It's possible we'll see a Romney-Bush ticket arise out of this confab, IMO. Which means one of them has to agree to second banana and my guess is it'll be Bush. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.

Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush meet privately in Utah | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Interesting. Yes, the meeting was "scheduled" prior to Bush and Romney doing some serious jockeying for position. I think Jeb might have felt that Romney, after his 2012 loss, would gracefully become an elder statesman and advisor. Not so fast.

It's possible we'll see a Romney-Bush ticket arise out of this confab, IMO. Which means one of them has to agree to second banana and my guess is it'll be Bush. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.

Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush meet privately in Utah | Reuters
On the surface, that is what it looks like, but I think it goes deeper. I can't see either of them playing second fiddle, certainly not Bush.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
On the surface, that is what it looks like, but I think it goes deeper. I can't see either of them playing second fiddle, certainly not Bush.
That's why I wondered if they might be cutting a deal. I don't know what it would look like, sort of an "I'll do this if you'll do that" kind of thing, who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I can't see either one of them playing second, but my guess would be that it would be Jeb before it would be Romney. I guess it would depend on the "deal" and who has the leverage. I wouldn't want to be in that position, either way. Too much potential for treachery.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Who knows?
On tyne other hand, the meeting could have nothing but a mutual acknowledgement of each other, and/or a party strategy meeting. After all, they share a lot of potential problems from within their own party in seeking the nomination. Being united in some positions may be just the thing that could attract independents to go out and vote for whichever comes out ahead, and jointly opposing the teabaggers could make them both stronger.
After all, they share a lot of common obstacles on the way to the White House.

I don't see either one of them settling for anything but the White House either. Rightly so- neither should maneuver to become the V.P. They are both far too well known, and it seems to me are about equals.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Who knows?
On tyne other hand, the meeting could have nothing but a mutual acknowledgement of each other, and/or a party strategy meeting. After all, they share a lot of potential problems from within their own party in seeking the nomination. Being united in some positions may be just the thing that could attract independents to go out and vote for whichever comes out ahead, and jointly opposing the teabaggers could make them both stronger.
After all, they share a lot of common obstacles on the way to the White House.

I don't see either one of them settling for anything but the White House either. Rightly so- neither should maneuver to become the V.P. They are both far too well known, and it seems to me are about equals.
From what I've read and from what I gathered from one of Romney's party confabs in Florida during the latter part of W's regime, it seems that Romney may have been under the false impression that Jeb wasn't interested. and never would be, due to baggage from W. From Jeb's perspective, it seems Romney wouldn't seek the nomination a third time. After all, Romney certainly gave that impression and all of a sudden sprang into action when Jeb started making his move.

I'm sure they'll both do what they feel is "for the good of the party".

Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
From what I've read and from what I gathered from one of Romney's party confabs in Florida during the latter part of W's regime, it seems that Romney may have been under the false impression that Jeb wasn't interested. and never would be, due to baggage from W. From Jeb's perspective, it seems Romney wouldn't seek the nomination a third time. After all, Romney certainly gave that impression and all of a sudden sprang into action when Jeb started making his move.

I'm sure they'll both do what they feel is "for the good of the party".
I am also wondering what happened to Romney to (apparently) change his mind. Has he been secretly meeting with Brett Favre?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
OMG, what a fitting pair that would make… are there any politicians more contaminated with the stink of 'no thank you' than these two (with most of it from their own party)?!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Dubya II

I think Bush was trying to tell Romney to back off. After all, Romney has had a couple of shots at this, and proven himself to be politically divisive and repulsive in being rejected both times. Romney represents a direction that the GOP dares not go in again, for this would be political suicide. They must recreate themselves away from the rich-only supporting, bigoted ideology that they represent. Bush represents a new tactic the GOP is taking, which is to pretend to be moderate, pretend to be for immigration, pretend to care about income inequality and poor people, pretend to be more like Democrats, all to sucker in votes. Romney's presence undermines this new strategy.

Bush will show moderate to get elected, but go right once elected. He will give the impression that he can benefit the country, while in practice, doing the opposite. Thumbs down on Dubya II.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:13 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
The meeting was arranged prior to Romney announcing he was running yet again. It was just a meeting, and there is no way in this day and age that two white guy establishment candidates would run on the same ticket.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think Bush was trying to tell Romney to back off. After all, Romney has had a couple of shots at this, and proven himself to be politically divisive and repulsive in being rejected both times. Romney represents a direction that the GOP dares not go in again, for this would be political suicide. They must recreate themselves away from the rich-only supporting, bigoted ideology that they represent. Bush represents a new tactic the GOP is taking, which is to pretend to be moderate, pretend to be for immigration, pretend to care about income inequality and poor people, pretend to be more like Democrats, all to sucker in votes. Romney's presence undermines this new strategy.

Bush will show moderate to get elected, but go right once elected. He will give the impression that he can benefit the country, while in practice, doing the opposite. Thumbs down on Dubya II.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections