Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

^First of all, it has happened that someone goes to vote only to be told that they voted already.

If you don't "slink off into the night", how, exactly, without being required to show ID to vote will you be able to prove that you didn't already vote? Unless there were cameras around and the exact time people voted was recorded somewhere, it would be next to impossible. What would the poll watchers say exactly? If no ID was required and someone said he was John Doe living at 123 Main Street, what is there to say?

With voter ID, this would be stopped dead in its tracks.

Then there is the problem with dead people not being removed from the voter rolls, yet somehow managing to vote.

ETA: I suggest you watch the video that woxy posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And that is when you raise a stink and get that vote thrown out and bring the news stations to check it out.

If you found that someone had voted in your place, are you just going to slink off into the night? Of course not. Even the poll watchers would say something.

Why haven't we heard thousands of these stories? Maybe because it isn't happening.

Did George Parr have to resort to voter fraud to steal Box 13? No "he" just waited until the polls were closed and then switched the ballots inside. Voter ID wouldn't have stopped that.
This is the way it was done in the old days. My mom's family is from here - kind of proud of this - lol. Stealing votes the good old fashioned way

Go Ask Alice | Texas Monthly

Now it will or is probably taken care of via the electronic votes. I refuse to use those - I use a paper ballot.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^First of all, it has happened that someone goes to vote only to be told that they voted already.

If you don't "slink off into the night", how, exactly, without being required to show ID to vote will you be able to prove that you didn't already vote? Unless there were cameras around and the exact time people voted was recorded somewhere, it would be next to impossible. What would the poll watchers say exactly? If no ID was required and someone said he was John Doe living at 123 Main Street, what is there to say?

With voter ID, this would be stopped dead in its tracks.

Then there is the problem with dead people not being removed from the voter rolls, yet somehow managing to vote.
Who is going to go through the trouble of cobbling enough fake ids to swing a vote? Easier to just do it at the other end.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No different than preventing fraud in ACA except some want to keep fraud in voting. Proof in ACA is much stricter by far.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The democrats want even illegals to be able to vote..
Really? Where did you see this?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:37 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
How does a person filing an absentee ballot show the picture ID? Will the state need to go to voters' homes to take the pictures?

Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There is no reasonable argument against showing ID to vote...you can't rent a car or hotel room, or go to the doctor without an ID...voting should require one, too.
I don't have to show my ID to mail in my vote. Voter ID laws doesn't actually prevent voter fraud.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Back to voter registration... why don't we give people voter registration photo IDs?

The reason regular ID's are hard to obtain like the birth certificate requirement is because of federal law regarding secure ID's. Here in PA if you didn't already have one of the numerous ID's that would have been acceptable including college and long term care home ID the procedure would have been the following.

This is a one stop trip, you would need to apply for the regular ID and you had to sign verifying you needed the ID to vote. They would try and obtain the BC for you, if that failed then you had to fill out another form for voting only ID which did not have the BC requirement. The voting only ID as good for ten years.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Voter ID laws doesn't actually prevent voter fraud.
To prevent voting fraud you need to IDentify the voter whether it's in person, mail in or absentee. Addressing the absentee fraud becomes much more problematic however that is no reason not to address in person fraud.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:37 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
NH has strict voter registration and identification standards. These were instituted to solve a problem that never existed. When I vote I have always had to publically announce my name and address to the voting registration clerk. I freely do so. I am insulted that I have to show a picture ID to "prove" it.
Are you also insulted when you fly and have to show a photo ID? Come on, geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections