Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Again, voting in prez years but not mid terms is prima facie evidence of being uninformed. It means the person does not realize the importance of Congress, of the legislative branch.
That is true, people on both sides of the political spectrum do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Really? I searched for a link that validates what you say and came up empty.

Your turn now---find a link and I will read it.
im simply gave you an example of my personal experience of seeing multiple people in my own polling place not realize that the Senate district lines had been redrawn, and then proceed to vote anyways.

Instead of bickering back and forth, i will just ask.

Do you honestly believe there are no people who blindly vote along party lines during mid terms ??? You know most parties actually track straight ticket voting right ?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Again, voting in prez years but not mid terms is prima facie evidence of being uninformed. It means the person does not realize the importance of Congress, of the legislative branch.
prima facie = fallacy.

It means, by definition, that you have no evidence to back it up, but also nothing to prove it wrong. Thats not an adequate defense of your stance.

And arguing that someone didnt vote is not the same as not understanding the importance. There were a number of candidates in my local area who did not have an opponent in the general election. There were lines I left blank because of it.

By your standard, that means im not informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is true, people on both sides of the political spectrum do this.

they do, but it doesnt make them uninformed to simply not vote.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
No its not, you are simple using the words prima facie to try and lend credibility to an unsupported argument.

Once more it doesn't mean a person does not realize the importance of congress, or of the legislative branch, that is another baseless assumption.

What if someone believes that congress is important, but also posits the very reasonable argument that even a close election is going to likely decided by a margin of tens of thousands of votes thus making their vote irrelevant and thus only votes when they feel voting will result in people not bothering them to vote which occurs at a lower rate in mid terms.

That is a perfectly plausible explanation. Another perfectly reasonable explanation is that someone understands the issues and importance of congress, but lacks confidence in anyone running being able to have any real impact on gridlock, whereas they believe the president does have power to accomplish things.

Simply put, there are lots of reasons informed people don't vote in midterms. So tying voting in midterms to voter information, based on their being no other reason not to vote is not a solid stand alone argument.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
What about the Republican mis-information voter? There are a lot of them out there.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:52 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Do you honestly believe there are no people who blindly vote along party lines during mid terms ??? You know most parties actually track straight ticket voting right ?

Sure. There are some who always do that. However...I'm guessing that most who do that don't bother with local elections. If you have something that proves otherwise, post the link.

I remember a few years ago going to vote in a local election and getting to the polls in the mid-afternoon. I was the 26th person to vote that day! Far too many voters think that only presidential elections matter. As I said, FOR EXAMPLE, if they are voting "D" for president, then they vote "D" for every one else. The sad thing is that people who vote like this often end up throwing out a good representative or a good local elected official, be they dem or rep. That's what is so frustrating.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
The fairly obvious answer is that the low info voter has become an important voting block for the Democratic party.
That's impossible. Aren't libs always telling us how intelligent and awesome they are?

Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's impossible. Aren't libs always telling us how intelligent and awesome they are?
In looking around for more reading on this topic, I ran across this piece:
Republicans More Informed Than Democrats, According to Pew Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lee
Few traits better characterize contemporary liberals than their false sense of intellectual superiority.
We're all familiar with the clichés....
The actual, objective sociological evidence continues to demonstrate that the opposite is true. Republicans routinely prove themselves more knowledgeable than Democrats
The writer cites a poll from Pew Research on 'what do Americans know.' The poll asked 12 questions of voters on current events. Republican respondents outperformed Democrats on 10 of 12 questions. Dems prevailed on 2 questions, but only by tiny margins.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
In looking around for more reading on this topic, I ran across this piece:
Republicans More Informed Than Democrats, According to Pew Research

The writer cites a poll from Pew Research on 'what do Americans know.' The poll asked 12 questions of voters on current events. Republican respondents outperformed Democrats on 10 of 12 questions. Dems prevailed on 2 questions, but only by tiny margins.
That makes sense. The current winners are always more satisfied than the losers, so more attention is paid by the current losers to what's going on.

The deer that gets nipped by a wolf is always more alert than the deer that wasn't nipped when the wolf came around. Humans work the same way.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Sure. There are some who always do that. However...I'm guessing that most who do that don't bother with local elections. If you have something that proves otherwise, post the link.

I remember a few years ago going to vote in a local election and getting to the polls in the mid-afternoon. I was the 26th person to vote that day! Far too many voters think that only presidential elections matter. As I said, FOR EXAMPLE, if they are voting "D" for president, then they vote "D" for every one else. The sad thing is that people who vote like this often end up throwing out a good representative or a good local elected official, be they dem or rep. That's what is so frustrating.
Local =/= mid term.

If you mean local as in mayoral, then there obviously isnt any information as those elections are so small. If you mean Congressional and governor races in the mid terms, then yes,there is plenty of data out there. It just matters if the parties make it public or not.

Texas did for a while.

http://www.austincc.edu/cppps/pdfs/straightticket.pdf

" Despite the presence of two candidates on the ballot
for governor, the Republicans still won the straight
ticket vote as they have since 1998. In 2006, the
GOP received 51.33% of the straight ticket votes
cast, while the Democrats received 47.44%. For the
Republicans, this was slightly less than they
received in 2002 (52%) or 1998 (52.68%) "

straight ticket numbers are internal and have to be released by the state parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections