Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 AM

71 posts, read 35,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakijy View Post
I am in favor of both, but am mostly concerned with my LEGAL vote which I don't even believe is honest anymore.
I totally agree with you about wanting my vote to be counted and to be counted correctly, and to only have legal votes counted. I just don't believe it is a Republican/Democrat issue. Although there were illegalities and irregularities performed in both the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections that favored George Bush, I am quite sure there are cases of irregularities that have favored both sides.

Also, are you sure that the Democrats, in particular Clinton, Obama, or Edwards are against electronic voting machines? Could you provide any evidence of that? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,908 times
Here is my personal opinion for what it is worth, you put Republicans and Democrats in a bag and shake um up and they all fall out the same....

With the exception of a few Democrats and a few Republicans...

My point is there is not one party that is the culprit both are full of corruption, both are responsible for fraud in many different ways... That is why we have to look at people as individuals and not steriotype groups as a whole.

For example, some Republicans are so busy blaming the democrats for everything, they totally miss the corruption in their own party, that is sometimes worse than they imagine. Or vise versa....

Old 01-11-2008, 12:59 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
But it was the libs who got caught buying votes and going after illegals to vote. It was the libs who didnt want to force someone to show a picture ID before they voted? Now who is dishonest?
Wow, folks that come out with follow the line, neocon language like libs and not admitting that the republican party has been dominant at this the last few years!
I disagree with the democrats being against required ID laws, that prove one is eligible to vote and I am for sure a liberal. However, I cannot imagine the neocons or republicans being for these voter ID laws, if it would cost THEM votes, based on their behavior.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 PM

229 posts, read 170,621 times
Default Edwards wants paper ballots

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqw9gfo View Post
I totally agree with you about wanting my vote to be counted and to be counted correctly, and to only have legal votes counted. I just don't believe it is a Republican/Democrat issue. Although there were illegalities and irregularities performed in both the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections that favored George Bush, I am quite sure there are cases of irregularities that have favored both sides.

Also, are you sure that the Democrats, in particular Clinton, Obama, or Edwards are against electronic voting machines? Could you provide any evidence of that? Thanks!
I like Edwards more than the others. From Brad Blog -
"What we need, is we need paper ballots, so votes can be verified," says John Edwards directly in response to Why Tuesday's video Candidate Challenge. He says a bunch of other good stuff on the topic as well in his brief response...

Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
What evidence do you have to back up that claim? Or is it another conspiracy theory?
Do you ever believe anyone ? Try it sometime it's sorta nice to have some kind of faith in your fellow American.

And the libs here in Texas did vote down proof with a state ID when voting....

Old 01-11-2008, 02:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakijy View Post
Why do Republicans oppose a 'paper trail' or other solution that will help us regain some semblance of an honest electorial process? If we don't have honest elections, is America really a Democracy? Other countries mock us, saying that we try and force our 'Democracy' upon them, while our own elections are fixed. See the below site for numerous examples.

Solar Bus | Election Justice Center
Make no mistake about it, Republicans AND Democrats are equally corrupt and love to cheat at voting any time an opportunity appears. Republicans are no worse than Democrats and the vice-versa is also true. Anyone here claiming a "Holier-than-thou" for the Democrats is obviously blinded by partisan politics. They probably worship the Democrats even if the effed it up. As for other countries mocking us on creating U.S. puppet government in other countires under the guise of "Democracy", yeah, its sad but true. Our foreign needs to change. You don't make friends by waging multiple wars on countries. I don't remember many countries that have wage war against another country in this century except for the U.S. Yet Americans still think that that's okay.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Do you ever believe anyone ? Try it sometime it's sorta nice to have some kind of faith in your fellow American.

And the libs here in Texas did vote down proof with a state ID when voting....
blackknight is a pro-amensty (probably illegal immigrant as well) person who is well-known in the Immigration forum. He typically uses inflammatory remarks and I would just ignore them. He is very much pro-Democrat because of their stance on immigration and social liberal issues. I would just ignore..

Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 PM

100 posts, read 151,065 times
Well, here's a quote from an article about Indiana's voter ID law. Guess who opposes it.

Even before Indiana¹s law was in place, opponents – including Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama – were lining up against it, apparently in fear that, if it stood, other states would follow. In 2005 Obama introduced a Senate resolution urging the Department of Justice to challenge any state law mandating photo IDs for voting.

Also this quote:

In Crawford v. Marion County Election Board and Indiana Democratic Party v. Rokita, the court will tackle the issue of vote fraud. The arguments will revive the debate over voter disenfranchisement that raged after the contested presidential election of 2000.

This time the controversy surrounds Indiana’s requirement that voters show photo identification when they cast their ballot. At a time when Americans are asked to show photo ID for routine things such as buying alcohol or getting on an airplane, it hardly seems unreasonable to do the same before voting. There’s also overwhelming public support for voter ID requirements; Rasmussen puts the number at 77 percent approval nationally.

In Indiana, however, a coalition of left-leaning groups -- led by the state Democratic Party and ACLU -- has brought suit against the state, claiming that requiring photo ID at polling places disenfranchises low-income citizens, minorities and seniors -- constituencies considered key to Democratic electoral success..

Claims of disenfranchisement have been rebutted in numerous studies of voter ID requirements. The most recent, a statistical analysis completed by The Heritage Foundation in September, flatly concluded that voter ID laws don’t depress voter turnout.

“Voter identification laws largely do not have the claimed negative impact on voter turnout based on state-to-state comparisons,” David B. Muhlhausen and Keri Weber Sikich wrote in the Heritage study. “In general, respondents in photo identification and non-photo identification states are just as likely to report voting compared to respondents from states that only required voters to state their name.”

Townhall.com::Fighting Vote Fraud With Photo ID::By Robert Bluey (http://townhall.com/columnists/RobertBluey/2008/01/06/fighting_vote_fraud_with_photo_id?page=full&commen ts=true - broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Until the Democrats and/or independents start soundly beating Republicans in elections, many of them will continue to do whatever they can to make sure that the slim majority falls in their favor.
If that is really true, why did the Republicans "allow" the Democrats to win control of Congress in the 2006 elections? Why didn't they make sure that the slim majority fell in their favor?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,750,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
blackknight is a pro-amensty (probably illegal immigrant as well) person who is well-known in the Immigration forum. He typically uses inflammatory remarks and I would just ignore them. He is very much pro-Democrat because of their stance on immigration and social liberal issues. I would just ignore..
WOW, people don't like it when you speak the truth. The folks over at the immigration forum don't like it when people don't share their anti-immigrant point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections