Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Rep Tammy Duckworth IMHO has what it takes to be a possible candidate for POTUS.

She's a combat vet who got torn up real bad, half Asian, a mom and so on and is only in her 40's. Sorry about the "race card" but her Asian side might get her a few more votes.

Tho she looks a hell of a lot like Sonia Sotomayor which might hurt.

Thoughts?

I'm a Repub but, I'd think about voting for her as POTUS.

Tammy Duckworth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:31 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Honestly, I think she's a great choice. I'm also a small-r republican-I have major issues with some of their platform, but generally regard them as the lesser of two evils. The "killer" for me with Duckworth is her attack on civil rights. She is a supporter of the irrational anti-gun nutcases.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:40 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Care to explain why that might be a problem?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Care to explain why that might be a problem?
Ms Sotomayor isn't well liked by a LOT of people. That "wise Latina" crack was just stupid right there. Especially since "Latina" ain't a race.

Wise Latina Quotes

Old 03-15-2015, 12:11 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Very unlikely. Candidates rarely go from the House to becoming a President. She is a possible candidate for the future, but 2016 is too soon. Also she really hasn't given much indiciation that she is even considering running, she however has given indication she might run for Senate in 2016 against Mark Kirk, who is probably one of the most vulnerable Seantors from either side heading into 2016.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:01 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Very unlikely. Candidates rarely go from the House to becoming a President. She is a possible candidate for the future, but 2016 is too soon. Also she really hasn't given much indiciation that she is even considering running, she however has given indication she might run for Senate in 2016 against Mark Kirk, who is probably one of the most vulnerable Seantors from either side heading into 2016.
Yup. Representatives are never elected President. For good reason- they come and go a lot more quickly, just as they are supposed to. The House is intended to reflect the will of the people at the moment.

The Senate is intended to be the side of Congress where the popular thrusts of the moment are to be slowed down and considered carefully. Senators gain experience from their long terms alone, if nothing else. There are sitting Senators who have seen 3 different Representatives come and go since they were elected.

I like Duckworth, but if she's looking at the Senate, I doubt she will be running for anything else for quite a while.
And there's nothing like losing a couple of large limbs to change a person's thoughts about gun control. Both of Tammy's legs are gone and one arm is severely damaged. While the woman seems to be quite healthy, I think that there may come a time when her disabilities may cause her to want a quieter private life than a politician's as she ages.
But if not, I'm OK with her. If and when she ever makes a run for the White House, I'll look her over more carefully then.

As an anchor baby, born in Thailand to an American father, she may have trouble being viewed as a natural-born American. It's the same issue Cruz is dealing with, and the same that was brought up about McCain when he ran. I have never had a problem with it, and I hope that it's resolved before she, or any other possible candidate in the future, runs for President. After so many decade-long wars, there are a lot of Americans who were born into the same circumstances.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

His signature on the Iran letter did not help him beyond securing a GOP purse to fund his reelection campaign.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Honestly, I think she's a great choice. I'm also a small-r republican-I have major issues with some of their platform, but generally regard them as the lesser of two evils. The "killer" for me with Duckworth is her attack on civil rights. She is a supporter of the irrational anti-gun nutcases.

Bloomberg funded her campaign against whack job Walsh and as so, has an obligation to support gun control and oppose smoking and Big Gulp.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

What does this mean?

Old 03-15-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. Representatives are never elected President. For good reason- they come and go a lot more quickly, just as they are supposed to. The House is intended to reflect the will of the people at the moment.

The Senate is intended to be the side of Congress where the popular thrusts of the moment are to be slowed down and considered carefully. Senators gain experience from their long terms alone, if nothing else. There are sitting Senators who have seen 3 different Representatives come and go since they were elected.

I like Duckworth, but if she's looking at the Senate, I doubt she will be running for anything else for quite a while.
And there's nothing like losing a couple of large limbs to change a person's thoughts about gun control. Both of Tammy's legs are gone and one arm is severely damaged. While the woman seems to be quite healthy, I think that there may come a time when her disabilities may cause her to want a quieter private life than a politician's as she ages.
But if not, I'm OK with her. If and when she ever makes a run for the White House, I'll look her over more carefully then.

As an anchor baby, born in Thailand to an American father, she may have trouble being viewed as a natural-born American. It's the same issue Cruz is dealing with, and the same that was brought up about McCain when he ran. I have never had a problem with it, and I hope that it's resolved before she, or any other possible candidate in the future, runs for President. After so many decade-long wars, there are a lot of Americans who were born into the same circumstances.
IMHO Ms Duckworth ain't an anchor since 1 parent was or is a US citizen. Hell; Mitt Romney's dad, George DID run and he was a Mexican born IN Mexico. Tho his parents apparently were still US citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections