Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 12:54 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Based on these responses, we should remove the college requirement for all federal jobs. Apparently Republicans detest anyone with a college education. I think sometimes that this country should be split or sectioned. When half the country thinks the people who went to college are stupid and the ones that didn't go to college are the intelligent ones, we've reached a point where there is no middle ground.

You definitely should put less education as a part of the Republican platform.
You sound like my middle-school daughter with that logic.

Apparently, I don't want her to have a life and want to lock her up in a dungeon for the rest of her life because I don't want her to go to certain functions. Additionally, she can't wait until she's old enough to move out so she gets to do whatever she wants.

Obama very likely wouldn't be able to pass the background checks that those same government employees are required to have...I bet Scott Walker could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You remind me of what my Philosophy 101 professor said during class in college. He was very into politics and one day he told us that all of our elected officials should have History degrees, not Political Science or business or whatever. I never forgot it and later on in my studies, I totally agree with it.
that is about like a friend and neighbor years ago said all Presidentual candidates should be required to have law degrees. People have some really strange ideas don't they?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG64 View Post
Does that include knowing how many states there are in the United States?

Obama doesn't. He thinks that there are 57.

Well, I'm sure he knows now. Someone probably told him.
No, he read it in the paper; isn't that where he says he gets his information? How often have we heard him say, I just found that out!!! He either gets in from the NYTimes or he sees it on MSNBC. Or, I forgot, maybe he read it on line in the H. Post blog?

Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG64 View Post
Who gives a f*** about what degree an elected official holds?

My litmus test is that an elected official not have the desire to see his/herself and the government micromanaging every aspect of peoples lives.

You want my vote for president? Promise me you'll just sit there looking pretty in your suit, doing as little as possible and leaving me and everyone else alone. I don't care what school you went to or what your degree is in. Just leave me the f*** alone!
Obama hasn't droned you yet, so I think he's leaving you alone.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Harry Truman had no college degree and was a pretty good President.
Truman wasn't very good. But, he concluded WWII which makes him very overrated. Wilson was the worst we've ever had but Truman isn't far behind him.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is about like a friend and neighbor years ago said all Presidentual candidates should be required to have law degrees. People have some really strange ideas don't they?
I don't think its strange at all. The point was that most of our politicians never learn from history which is why they keep making the same mistakes over and over. Hence, the History degree.

I don't think your friend/neighbor is as qualified in making statements such as my Philosophy professor. So, I'll go with his opinion on this. Just saying!

Old 07-10-2015, 06:08 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Truman wasn't very good. But, he concluded WWII which makes him very overrated. Wilson was the worst we've ever had but Truman isn't far behind him.
Stood up to the Soviet Union pretty well.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
A person can't get a job as secretary in the White House without a degree.

You need a degree to be a commissioned officer in the military.

You can't join the FBI, the CIA or virtually any federal position without a college degree.

Should we remove the college requirement from these positions so we don't have all federal employees with more education than the president? After all, he would be their boss.
Larry Ellison didn't have a degree but, he had tons of the intellectual elite working FOR him as he ran that little company called oracle, didn't he? Ben Affleck doesn't have one and there is no shortage of female college grads lining up to bone him, huh? The question is funny seeing how the interest comes from the audience of American Idol, praise every move from Kim Kardashian and Bruce Jenner, have no clue who their senators are, couldn't tell you the capital of Kentucky, and are extended beyond measure. Please. Their college degree is the last thing I'm worried about.

No, it doesnt matter especially when you consider how many have arts degrees which are as useful as toilet paper. Probably depends on WHAT the degree is in that is of any Benedict. Finance, medicine, law, engineering, education, IT, yeah sure. Arts and others? Probably not. Besides, most that defend the need usually have a POS degree Nd the reason they support it is to impart some sort of elite country club membership that does not exist.

It's not where you went to school that matters or what you studied but rather, it matters what you can do? I'd rather see a self made person lead us back to prosperity than a highly educated politician who never worked in the public sector lead us than say, a constitutional scholar? No one wears wigs in the white house any more but we can sure use a dose of common sense for a change.

More doing, less talking.

Just sayin'

Old 07-11-2015, 10:57 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You know he is not at the top of my list as a choice for President but his educations or lack of same has absolutely nothing to do with his qualifications or shouldn't. Only an arrogant education snob would be bothered by his not completing college.

College education, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with being an arrogant education snob. The lack of discipline, education about civics, economics, foreign affairs, and history is troubling for someone who is responsible for the welfare of our country. Take a look at Sarah Palin, for example.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:59 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
College is merely 4 more years of exposure to communist propaganda (and nothing new btw; they were already heavy into it in 1970). For Walker it's a plus.
I am sure you wouldn't want a communist, who has been propagandized, doing your surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections