Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:13 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
To me, he came off as too religious and an anti-Mormon religious bigot in 2008. His time on Fox News has actually vastly improved my opinion of the man, which is pretty ironic. Can't say I'm likely to vote for the guy, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise of course.
The man would have to personally apologize to all 15 million of us Mormons for his behavior last time around before I'd even consider supporting him. We don't need a bigot in the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Skillfully played by Huckabee. He announced that he might announce his candidacy for president on May 5th. So now he can sit back and watch and listen. He gets to test the pulse of the GOP and America to see what they think. I doubt Huckabee knows if he's running yet, but he'll know by May 5.

To me, he came off as too religious and an anti-Mormon religious bigot in 2008. His time on Fox News has actually vastly improved my opinion of the man, which is pretty ironic. Can't say I'm likely to vote for the guy, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise of course.
He'll be a good candidate in an already-strong field of conservatives. In the end, the economy and our national security will trump any trepidations people have of his religious views.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:31 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
These candidates will bring a very different perspective than Ted Cruz or Rand Paul will. I could be mistaken, but I think Huckabee will be stronger than people think, but Santorum is not really a contender.

Huckabee finished #2 overall in the Republican primaries in 2008. He is a much stronger candidate than some people appear to think.

Also, I would prefer that both Jeb Bush and Chris Christie bow out early. We have been told that only moderate Republicans win a national election, but when was the last time that one actually did? If the people want to go left, it makes sense to go with the real thing. Which is why Republican moderates do not win.

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing again and again, and expect different results. We tried McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012. If the Republicans nominate Bush or Christie this time around, they are epic fools who deserve to lose, yet again. And if they do put forward one of these two, they will lose again.
Huckabee's advantage over Cruz, Paul, Rubio etc. is the fact that he's been a state governor.
The fair tax plan is good as well.

However, the preacher background I think puts him at a large disadvantage; people don't want the potential of religion in government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Huckabee Is Probably Coming Out Tonight With His 2016 Announcement

Out of the closet?
I noticed that about the title as well, had me wondering for a second.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:47 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The man would have to personally apologize to all 15 million of us Mormons for his behavior last time around before I'd even consider supporting him. We don't need a bigot in the White House.
Mormonism is a rather huge contingent of the Republican Party. It behooves Mike Huckabee to do some serious fence-mending on that front. Probably too little too late. He did apologize to Romney apparently, but he'd have to do better.

On this score, Huckabee is fatally flawed. Make nice with the Mormons and the Evangelicals might reject him. Fail to make nice and the Mormons certainly will reject him. He might have to choose between losing in Utah, California, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Colorado in the primaries vs racking up losses in Huckabee gimme states like Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma, etc. And as it's been so many years, an apology to the LDS Church would come off as insincere anyways.

Times like this, I rather enjoy being neutral. If I were a Republican, I'd be rather depressed to think that Huck has lost before he ever got started.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:20 PM

546 posts, read 408,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The moment that solidified my distaste for Huckabee was the stunt regarding the negative ad he supposedly pulled before it aired.

His holier-than-thou attitude while knowing the ad would get tons of free airtime on the news was nothing but cynical posturing.

I guess some people would call it brilliant strategy, but to me it came off as manufactured, fake, and hypocritical.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:09 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I welcome another clown for the GOP car.

Who pretends to love Jesus the most while acting/speaking like Caesar?

Who hates science the most?

Who wants the wealthiest to continue to prosper the most at the expense of the rest of us?

You really should stop repeating the "Republicans hate science" myth.

Another myth, your last sentence. The GOP are more likely to propose and pass across the board tax cuts which certainly helps "rest of us."

Old 04-19-2015, 06:35 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Huckabee is well on his way to becoming the next Pat Robertson. His pronouncements get more squirrelly every day.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I am tired of huckabee, he is everything that is wrong with social conservatism.
Are you a social conservative? If you are I am surprised you would say that. If you aren't it doesn't make much difference what you think about him? Now, to be honest, I love his personality, I like some of his views, not all, cause I am not as conservative as he is and I miss his program. But that being said, I wish he wouldn't run, he will get nowhere (his time would have been in 2012) and I do not want to see the field getting so crowded, but if he wants to run, more power to him. If he is legally qualified, and feels strongly about our country (which he does) let him throw his hat in the ring. I think this time around we are going to see a lot of candidates run but drop out before the primaries even get started.

Last edited by nmnita; 04-19-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 08:27 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Fine man. I think I voted for him in the primary last time he ran, but none of the old guard will be the candidate this time...not Bush or Huckabee or Lindsey Graham or any of the others who ran before.

I want fresh new ideas, not retreaded ones. I want conservative principals that are realistic in todays world.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
I dont know why Huckabee is running, he doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell of winning. Personally, I like him. I really liked him when he ran the first time. I would never vote for him, but he was a great governor in Arkansas. He actually got a good percentage of the minority vote there. He now has moved too far to the right, especially his last tirade about Christians not joining the military until Obama is out of office. He is living better than he ever has, and was making a lot of money with his show on Fox. I hope he can get his show back.

Last edited by treasurefinder; 04-20-2015 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections