Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am curious how the GOP plans to make it to 270....that seems to be the mystery they can't figure out. Maybe they could take some more time to think about it when a Democrat wins in 2016.
Their anti-gay message doesn't sell in states they need like Virginia, Florida, and Ohio. Until they offer solutions for this country other than gay = icky, the GOP will never win a national election.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:42 PM

30,364 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
If that happens, the Dems would sit back, wait for the Repugs to overplay their hand, and then regain power.
Yep, pretty much what Repubs did....Dems obliged by creating the highest debt in our history for 2 consecutive years, leading to Repubs taking back the Congress and reigning in the drunken sailor spending spree. Both parties overstep themselves if they get full reigns on the power.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,643 times
I'm excited for a new president as well. Democrat/republican doesn't matter, they all bow to the money. I just think 8 years is enough and I wish the next administration the best.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
I don't know how the election will turn out but in 2012, Republicans were certain they were going to win. Absolutely positive. So certain that Karl Rove melted down live on Fox when Obama won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKqQBvWeO6E

If they lose again in 2016, Karl Rove is going to need a padded room. That said, it's 18 months away, which is a lifetime in politics.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:18 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't know how the election will turn out but in 2012, Republicans were certain they were going to win. Absolutely positive. So certain that Karl Rove melted down live on Fox when Obama won.
I happened to flip to Fox at the start of his meltdown. It was, by far, the best moment in a night filled with great moments. I look forward to a repeat performance in 2016.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You may well be right, the Republicans may have to dump the idea of "fiscal conservatism", sooner rather than later, as the number of government beneficiaries continues to rise and the number concerned about ideas like taxes and living within one's means falls in too many states.

But its too early to throw in the towel yet, the 2014 election results can give the GOP hope that they still have relevancy, and Mrs. Clinton is such old news and been around so long, that a lot of people are just tired of the old lady.

The only time the republicans have won a Presidential election, the candidate projected themselves as a physical conservative. Bush had a record of it in Texas, as Governor and was a 2 termer. Reagan had that and showed it as Governor of California and he was a 2 termer.

Put another Dole, McCain, Romney in there and try to sell them as Conservative, is not going to work.
Conservative voters are not as ignorant as Progressive voters. They don't play team sports and won't vote just to vote, when there is marginal differences in the democrat and the Republican running.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
I am curious how the GOP plans to make it to 270....that seems to be the mystery they can't figure out. Maybe they could take some more time to think about it when a Democrat wins in 2016.
This is the line that the media want you to hear. The blue wall... There are many holes in the blue wall. If it were so strong then Gore or Kerry would have beaten GW Bush. There are many states up for grabs that could push the GOP over 270. Florida looks good. Virginia, NC, Ohio, Iowa. the dems are counting on winning all the midwestern states plus either Florida, Ohio, and/or Virginia. What happens if they don't?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Dems have been celebrating their advantage with the growing demographics in the USA at the same time we have more elected Republicans than at any moment since 1928 and Repubs control the House, Senate and most state legislatures and governorships. What will Dems do if a Repub is elected President and they have no voice in government?
Because land isn't the same thing as population. The electoral college isn't in the GOP's favor.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:52 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Because land isn't the same thing as population. The electoral college isn't in the GOP's favor.
If the GOP can win Virginia, Ohio, and Florida then that changes things.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
This is the line that the media want you to hear. The blue wall... There are many holes in the blue wall. If it were so strong then Gore or Kerry would have beaten GW Bush. There are many states up for grabs that could push the GOP over 270. Florida looks good. Virginia, NC, Ohio, Iowa. the dems are counting on winning all the midwestern states plus either Florida, Ohio, and/or Virginia. What happens if they don't?
Demographics aren't the same as they were in 2000 and 2004. Oregon once use to be a battleground state, today it is safely blue. Looking at voting trends of states, it is safe to say the Democrats are much closer to 270 than the Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections