Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust electronic voting machines?
yes 3 12.00%
no 19 76.00%
not sure 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times

Advertisements

Do you trust the electronics voting machines?

NH CONTEST: DIEBOLD MISCOUNTS REPORTED ACROSS MANY CANDIDATES, WARDS, IN FIRST DAY OF ELECTION CONTEST HAND COUNTS | AfterDowningStreet.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
I don't know what was wrong with the old punch type ballot's. I don't know how someone could understand an amendmant, but couldn't figure how to punch a chad. It just baffles the mind!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 AM

365 posts, read 699,319 times

best thread on the forum, lol........and judging from the responses, why we even sit here day and night discussing all those bone heads becoming a president makes ya wonder doesnt it, no matter what we choose, theyve already decided.....good post, thanks......onward and upward, America!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,516 times
I agree, I like good old fashioned paper ballots... I do not trust electronic machines...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn245 View Post
best thread on the forum, lol........and judging from the responses, why we even sit here day and night discussing all those bone heads becoming a president makes ya wonder doesnt it, no matter what we choose, theyve already decided.....good post, thanks......onward and upward, America!

Good point. We could debate forever but electronic voting is susceptible to too much interference so if we don't eliminate it why vote?

Every time a candidate emails me I reply with "What have you done to fix the crooked voting in the U.S.? If that isn't fixed how can I be sure my vote will be counted.?"

No replies.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
I’ve seen the documentary Hacking Democracy on HBO that makes “anyone” wonder why they trust electronic voting. No matter what political side you might be on surely you’d want to be able to verify the outcome of an election!

I’ve even feel the need to question the vote totals on local bond issues that passed when everyone I’ve talked with said they voted against them. How can that be?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 PM

IBM with punch cards for voting is about the only accurate way to tally votes in an election. You may have some card failures but the majority of the cards can be recounted as many times as you’d like to get accurate answers to what the people voted for.

Any other type of voting machine is subject to failure and inaccurate totals.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Anyone from NY state here? The big gray [or green] behemoth lever voting machines were invented to stop fraud in NYC voting in the last century. I have never voted on anything else. They are sealed [so no one can open them] after the candidates are positioned in the machine and check for 0 votes listed. Lines you can't vote on are locked. You can only push down the number of levers allowed ( as: 1 in a race for any 1 person to be elected // or as in a judges' race: if you are voting for 2 of 3 candidates, adding a 3rd would not allow you to leave -- you need to pull a lever to open the curtain ) You can change your vote up until you leave the booth. Your privacy is guaranteed. Unless you forget to vote for something, you know it was counted. The machines are checked for 0 vote count before sealing and then checked when opened with poll workers from all parties watching and calling out tallies per line and adding them for a total; the total must never be over the number of people who signed in to vote.

It is failsafe? Of course not. Machines have broken. [I have never seen one do it, but I have friends who are poll workers who have -- it is really rare; if it happens, you vote by paper ballot.] You don't get a printout of your vote, but I will take this over the electronic machines which are tied to a computer system or even the IBM punch card (when I was in college, I used IBM punchcard computers. They were highly likely to have errors on cards and it was a pain to go back and retype them for correction.... How do you correct on that kind of a voting machine? I saw many failures in counting and typing; I will trust the behemoths.)

Sadly, the behemoths will be gone soon.... the American company that made them went out of business. I think maybe they should start up the company agian and make standardized machines for the entire country. Given the machines need to be made by machinists, you could also create good paying jobs, in both manufacture and repair.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Good point. We could debate forever but electronic voting is susceptible to too much interference so if we don't eliminate it why vote?

Every time a candidate emails me I reply with "What have you done to fix the crooked voting in the U.S.? If that isn't fixed how can I be sure my vote will be counted.?"

No replies.
Good point, electronic machines are far from tamper proof.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Very interesting on google YouTube “touch screen voting” with the short clips about this problem and the questionable voting totals that occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections