Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:33 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Thanks, I was looking for the actual vote and can't find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Frustrated by being required to find his way to a private “dungeon” to read the Trans Pacific Partnership agreement, Rand Paul said Monday he is a “no vote” on a provision to allow President Obama to complete the deal on a fast track.

Members of Congress must go to office of the U.S. Trade Representative to see a copy of the agreement, but are not allowed to take notes, make copies or bring any members of their staffs.

“I’ve told leadership I’m a ‘no’ vote” on trade promotion authority, Paul said. “I’m hesitant to give blanket authority on stuff we haven’t seen. I’m not saying there wouldn’t be a time I could be for it, if I’d seen the trade agreement, and it’s fine,” Paul said.

Paul opposes granting Obama fast-track trade authority | Politics - WMUR Home

So much for Obamas promised transparency.
So much for any from the Repubs either, right now there is only a handful of Dems and Repubs opposing this BS. We are done as a Nation, by the time the details are allowed out it will be too late for us. S#@ks

Old 05-13-2015, 02:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Yet curiously he voted "aye" FOR Fast Track today.
Rand voted in favor of advancing the bill, but that was a procedural vote

from your link
voting to prevent the chamber from tackling fast-track legislation.A motion to cut off a filibuster and proceed to the trade bill fell short of the 60-vote hurdle, failing 52-45. Sen. Tom Carper (Del.) was the only Democrat to back it.

The idea behind Rand vote is to discuss and debate it. Not have it hidden away like Harry Reid did. Rand is calculated. it wouldn't surprise me if he does this with certain bills to expose others.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So much for any from the Repubs either, right now there is only a handful of Dems and Repubs opposing this BS. We are done as a Nation, by the time the details are allowed out it will be too late for us. S#@ks
Alan Grayson is one of the few dems exposing this. And Warren.
What some are missing, not saying you are, is the current vote is for discussing the issue. Whether its the Fast Track or the Trans Pacific Partnership agreement.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 05-13-2015 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: added And Warren.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Rand voted in favor of advancing the bill, but that was a procedural vote

from your link
voting to prevent the chamber from tackling fast-track legislation.A motion to cut off a filibuster and proceed to the trade bill fell short of the 60-vote hurdle, failing 52-45. Sen. Tom Carper (Del.) was the only Democrat to back it.

The idea behind Rand vote is to discuss and debate it. Not have it hidden away like Harry Reid did. Rand is calculated. it wouldn't surprise me if he does this with certain bills to expose others.
Ultimately though Rand supports the TPP. He may talk about how he is uncomfortable with how it is being written up but he agrees with these "free" trade agreements. His father opposed them so I guess I thought he would too but he has indicated in the past that he was for them and now all he really claims to oppose is fast track authority.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Ultimately though Rand supports the TPP. He may talk about how he is uncomfortable with how it is being written up but he agrees with these "free" trade agreements. His father opposed them so I guess I thought he would too but he has indicated in the past that he was for them and now all he really claims to oppose is fast track authority.
I don't think so.

"I think while we’ve gotten at least some headway in understanding what’s in it, I think it raises more questions that will require more research to fully understand what’s in it. We’re going to pursue that with someone from the U.S. Trade Representative—we’re going to pursue more information from them. Some of the questions are whether we’re seeing the final agreement or this is in the interim agreement before the final agreement. That’s a question we still have. I have a feeling that what we’re seeing is a work product, not a final."

Paul said he thinks the secretive process makes it look like the government has “something to hide” and that he thinks if Obama opened up the process it’d make it easier for several Senators—and the American people—to truly understand what it is they’re voting on.

Exclusive - Sen. Rand Paul Visits Secret Room To Read Obamatrade, Calls For Public Release Of Deal Text - Breitbart

He's showing a pattern imo. He's measured.
1. Hey this fill-in-the-blank "sounds" great.
2. Lets see what's in it.
3. Upon seeing it, it isn't so great.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I don't think so.

"I think while we’ve gotten at least some headway in understanding what’s in it, I think it raises more questions that will require more research to fully understand what’s in it. We’re going to pursue that with someone from the U.S. Trade Representative—we’re going to pursue more information from them. Some of the questions are whether we’re seeing the final agreement or this is in the interim agreement before the final agreement. That’s a question we still have. I have a feeling that what we’re seeing is a work product, not a final."

Paul said he thinks the secretive process makes it look like the government has “something to hide” and that he thinks if Obama opened up the process it’d make it easier for several Senators—and the American people—to truly understand what it is they’re voting on.

Exclusive - Sen. Rand Paul Visits Secret Room To Read Obamatrade, Calls For Public Release Of Deal Text - Breitbart

He's showing a pattern imo. He's measured.
1. Hey this fill-in-the-blank "sounds" great.
2. Lets see what's in it.
3. Upon seeing it, it isn't so great.
Quote:
U.S. Senator and Republican presidential hopeful Rand Paul (R-KY) is calling on President Barack Obama to conclude negotiations over the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) by year’s end.
Last week Senator Paul gave what his office billed as a major foreign policy address comprehensively outlining his “Conservative Realism” vision for American foreign policy.
One of the four main pillars of Conservative Realism, Paul explained, is reviving U.S. economic strength. “Our national power is a function of the national economy,” the first-term senator explained at a New York City dinner put on by the Center for the National Interest, a Washington, D.C. think tank.
Paul views increased trade as essential to reviving sluggish economic growth. The senator commended Obama’s predecessor on promoting trade, pointing out that the George W. Bush administration brokered 14 new free trade agreements during its eight years in office, and negotiated three others that were eventually ratified during the Obama administration. By contrast, Senator Paul noted, that Obama hasn’t successfully negotiated a single new agreement since taking office.
“Instead of just talking about a so-called ‘pivot to Asia,’ the Obama administration should prioritize negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership by year’s end,” Paul said during the speech.
Rand Paul to Obama: Finish TPP Trade Deal | The Diplomat

Quote:
Low growth, high unemployment, and big deficits have undercut our influence in the world. Americans have suffered real consequences from a weak economy.
President George W. Bush understood that part of the projection of American power is the exporting of American goods and culture. His administration successfully brokered fourteen new free trade agreements and negotiated three others that are the only new free trade agreements approved since President Obama took office. Instead of just talking about a so-called “pivot to Asia,” the Obama administration should prioritize negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership by year’s end.
Rand Paul to Obama: "Prioritize" Passage of Trans-Pacific Partnership

I like Rand Paul, and when he announced I enthusiastically supported his run; however, this appears to be a politically convenient evolution on TPP and free trade in general. If this issue wouldn't have blown up I have a feeling he would have just went along and voted for fast track and ultimately for the TPP. My support for Paul is waning and I cannot vote for someone who endorses free trade agreements as I find them anti-American.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Default Gop, Anew Breed!

With the New bread of GOP line up I do not think this will be a typical election cycle. American is ready for firm policy and a plan to achieve it.

Rubio, Bush and or even Carlie Fiona is ready to speak to the voters with policy. Bush kind of stepped into it but politicians as a whole have a problem with that. .
Talk is cheap and that why Clinton refused to speak with reports. What is it 38 days and counting?
I look forward to the first debates.

The DNC is too busy defending Clinton and the failed Polices of Obama. They have yet came up with a comprehensive plan.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
With the New bread of GOP line up I do not think this will be a typical election cycle. American is ready for firm policy and a plan to achieve it.

Rubio, Bush and or even Carlie Fiona is ready to speak to the voters with policy. Bush kind of stepped into it but politicians as a whole have a problem with that. .
Talk is cheap and that why Clinton refused to speak with reports. What is it 38 days and counting?
I look forward to the first debates.

The DNC is too busy defending Clinton and the failed Polices of Obama. They have yet came up with a comprehensive plan.
Rubio and Bush are establishment hacks who are pro-amnesty, pro-MIC, and pro-Wall St. Carly Fiorina is a failed CEO and a wannabe career politician. She, like Romney, is only "an outsider non-politician" because she loses her political races. If you want someone truly different from Obama and Hillary I'm sorry to say but Rubio, Bush, and Fiorina aren't it.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Rand Paul to Obama: Finish TPP Trade Deal | The Diplomat

Rand Paul to Obama: "Prioritize" Passage of Trans-Pacific Partnership

I like Rand Paul, and when he announced I enthusiastically supported his run; however, this appears to be a politically convenient evolution on TPP and free trade in general. If this issue wouldn't have blown up I have a feeling he would have just went along and voted for fast track and ultimately for the TPP. My support for Paul is waning and I cannot vote for someone who endorses free trade agreements as I find them anti-American.
Those quotes by him are nothing more than wanting to see transparency. The bill goes up for a vote, he tries to add an amendment and exposes the conservative frauds.

Which free trade agreement has he voted yes on?

What does "If this issue wouldn't have blown up" mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections