Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Pr9GRWAbI&app=desktop

MAN!!! I have been waiting forever for a GOP candidate this intellectually sharp!! HIS RESPONSE WAS SO INCREDIBLE!!

He took that stupid question and threw it back!!

Cruz is my new hero!
Not a Cruz supporter. In fact I don't really like him, but boy oh boy, was he right on this time. I hope more Republicans stand up to the liberal media in the coming months. The reporter was way off base.

Spatula City your response has little to do with what he said. And who is saying anything about his intellect on this post. The subject is: did he stand up to the liberal reporter and the answer is: yes. We all have to stop putting social issues ahead of issues that really do affect our lives and families: monetory issues, Amnesty, Isis, etc. Those are the only issues the media should be addressing right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
He brought up some fair points and no way that reporter would ask Hillary if she had animosity towards gays when she recently opposed gay marriage. However, I wish that 'small government GOP' types would take government out of gay marriage.
Most of us do, the point is: what views we hold on these types of social issues have nothing to do with who should be elected as our President.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,849,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
So basically, he has to compare himself to terrorists to seem like less of a hate monger.

I find it really disturbing that people can think there's anything 'intellectual' about anything he has said... but then I know how bright the average city-data right winger is, so it doesn't surprise me.
Sticking with the Constitution and state's rights is pretty intellectual. I find it disturbing that you missed that point in what he said.
"Look, I’m a Christian. Scripture commands us to love everybody and what I have been talking about, with respect to same-sex marriage, is the Constitution which is what we should all be focused on. The Constitution gives marriage to elected state legislators. It doesn’t give the power of marriage to a president, or to unelected judges to tear down the decisions enacted by democratically elected state legislatures."
That might be why he is getting some serious money:

Super PACs backing Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz have raised more than double the PAC backing presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
Ted Cruz Super PACs SMASHING Hillary's PAC In Fundraising | The Daily Caller

Old 05-22-2015, 08:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
So basically, he has to compare himself to terrorists to seem like less of a hate monger.

I find it really disturbing that people can think there's anything 'intellectual' about anything he has said... but then I know how bright the average city-data right winger is, so it doesn't surprise me.
Yeah, unless you buy the idea that gays shouldn't marry or buy the idea that we have more pressing matters, there was nothing intellectual about his response. I agree ISIS/ISLS is a problem but you know what also is, discrimination. ISIS/ISLS has no problem stoning gays or stoning alleged adulterers. In America, we still shame gays away from marriage souly on religious argument in a secular state that don't have a state religion and we shame adulterers along with rape victims on Facebook and Twitter all the damn time.

What Cruz did was once again was what a LOT of Republicans do and that is punt on gay marriage. If he is against it, let it be known, don't hide behind the states rights issue. Give a clear I believe gay marriage should be legal or a gay marriage shouldn't be legal response Ted. FYI, until we get rid of the 14th amendment, the government whether state or federal cannot discriminate against its citizens including who they marry.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:18 AM

29,607 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Bashing a reporter for asking a question is not the same as giving a good answer to the question itself.

The premise of his response also doesnt make sense. Its like he doesnt believe in the ability to multitask.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:21 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,783,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Sticking with the Constitution and state's rights is pretty intellectual. I find it disturbing that you missed that point in what he said.
Dogmatic adherence to anything is the OPPOSITE of intellectual.
He's obviously dodging the question because he knows it would harm him politically to admit the truth.

I'm having a hard time that people think that what he is doing is anything more than a high school debate tactic. It makes me think that the intellectual climate in the US is making it ripe for full-blown fascism.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:22 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,236,480 times
The media are like robots, aimed and ready to fire at all things Christian and Conservative. Yes, and they are fixated with sex. Cruz called it.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:22 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,849,263 times
Quote:
Dogmatic adherence to anything is the OPPOSITE of intellectual.
He's obviously dodging the question because he knows it would harm him politically to admit the truth.

I'm having a hard time that people think that what he is doing is anything more than a high school debate tactic. It makes me think that the intellectual climate in the US is making it ripe for full-blown fascism.
He has already stated his position on the marriage issue:

"We are seeing today profound threats to religious liberty in America, the greatest threats we've ever seen and just a couple of months ago we had the battles in Indiana and Arkansas when they passed their religious freedom restoration acts. What happened afterwards was heartbreaking. We saw, number one, a perfect storm of the modern Democratic Party that has gotten so radical and so extreme in its devotion to mandatory gay marriage that they've decided there's no room for the religious liberty protected under the First Amendment. And sadly Democrats joined with big business in an effort to vilify our religious liberty. But what was most striking is how many Republicans, including Republicans running for president in 2016, ran and hid in the hills, were afraid to stand and be counted. I think that Indiana and Arkansas, as Reagan put it, were a time for choosing, that was a sorting moment.
"And I'll tell you one of the things I've been blessed [sic] for the last two decades is to have the opportunity over and over and over again to stand and defend religious liberty and to win nationally over and over again and I will not shirk from defending the religious liberty of every American. We're a nation, and you know this so well, Eric, who were freeing religious oppression and coming to seek out a land where every one of us could worship God Almighty with all of our hearts, minds and souls. And that is under profound jeopardy today."

Ted Cruz decries push for 'mandatory gay marriage' - Houston Chronicle

Old 05-22-2015, 08:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not a Cruz supporter. In fact I don't really like him, but boy oh boy, was he right on this time. I hope more Republicans stand up to the liberal media in the coming months. The reporter was way off base.

Spatula City your response has little to do with what he said. And who is saying anything about his intellect on this post. The subject is: did he stand up to the liberal reporter and the answer is: yes. We all have to stop putting social issues ahead of issues that really do affect our lives and families: monetory issues, Amnesty, Isis, etc. Those are the only issues the media should be addressing right now.
I'm not sure Sen. Cruz agrees with you about the social issues stuff. Sounds like he has chosen to pretend otherwise.

"In his first trip to Iowa as a presidential candidate earlier this month, Cruz stayed laser focused on social issues, including a potential court ruling to legalize gay marriage nationwide that he said would be "fundamentally illegitimate.''"

Ted Cruz Introduces Bills to Stop Gay Marriage - Bloomberg Politics

Not the first time either:

Cruz, Lee introduce ‘State Marriage Defense Act’ - The Washington Post

Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 AM

29,607 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Most of us do, the point is: what views we hold on these types of social issues have nothing to do with who should be elected as our President.
If Cruz had a distinction between his personal views and public governance, then you would have a point, but he believes the bible should govern people and there for his views on social issues matter very much.

When He spoke to the Christian Coalition of Voters, he said he supported efforts to specifically define marriage as one man one women. That means he wants to outlaw gay marriage.

So yes, his views matter, and its dishonest to say that they dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections