Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Being a registered as a Democrat, I couldn't vote for him in a primary. But if it came down to him or Hillary in a general election, I would be inclined to take a very close look at him for my vote. Not a big Hillary fan.
Came in here to see if anyone was talking about Kasich as I am similar to the above poster. I am an independent but I feel the same way.

If the GOP is smart, they will seriously consider Kasich. No GOP candidate has won the presidency without Ohio and contrary to many of my fellow Ohioans in the thread, Kasich is actually VERY popular in Ohio across a lot of demographics.

I am a black independent and Kasich won over 20% of the black vote here in Ohio and I am pretty involved in the MBE (minority buisness enterprises) community here and he is very much supported by many black chambers, including in Cleveland (which is one of the main reasons he won Cuyahoga County) and he is popular with moderate Democrats for being smart and choosing to expand Medicaid under the ACA. Many conservatives I know who are older but not yet retirement age have really benefitted from the expansion and people in general like Kasich here. He is a moderate, kind of a throw back Republican and not as bad as the extremely conservative field so far in the GOP (outside of Jeb Bush, but Bush is just not a name that I personally feel will do well in a general election).

He has an excellent record here in Ohio with growing the economy and IMO has enough staunchly conservative leanings to where if he is the nominee, hard right wing votes won't have a problem supporting him. IMO, he is the best if the field that the GOP has and as a moderate, black Ohioan, I actually would vote for him over Hillary Clinton and I know a lot of people that would. He would be a smart choice for the GOP ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Came in here to see if anyone was talking about Kasich as I am similar to the above poster. I am an independent but I feel the same way.

If the GOP is smart, they will seriously consider Kasich. No GOP candidate has won the presidency without Ohio and contrary to many of my fellow Ohioans in the thread, Kasich is actually VERY popular in Ohio across a lot of demographics.

I am a black independent and Kasich won over 20% of the black vote here in Ohio and I am pretty involved in the MBE (minority buisness enterprises) community here and he is very much supported by many black chambers, including in Cleveland (which is one of the main reasons he won Cuyahoga County) and he is popular with moderate Democrats for being smart and choosing to expand Medicaid under the ACA. Many conservatives I know who are older but not yet retirement age have really benefitted from the expansion and people in general like Kasich here. He is a moderate, kind of a throw back Republican and not as bad as the extremely conservative field so far in the GOP (outside of Jeb Bush, but Bush is just not a name that I personally feel will do well in a general election).

He has an excellent record here in Ohio with growing the economy and IMO has enough staunchly conservative leanings to where if he is the nominee, hard right wing votes won't have a problem supporting him. IMO, he is the best if the field that the GOP has and as a moderate, black Ohioan, I actually would vote for him over Hillary Clinton and I know a lot of people that would. He would be a smart choice for the GOP ticket.
Well said, only the young or the Paulinistas would suggest he is not formidable. He is not my first choice but of the field so far he is top 5 certainly.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Does anyone see any evidence that John Kasich is actually campaigning to be President?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Does anyone see any evidence that John Kasich is actually campaigning to be President?
He was on Meet the Press on May 31 and sure sounded to me like he is close to running

Old 06-08-2015, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I like him, always have, but in order for him to make any impact with a name many are not familiar with, he should have jumped in by now. I think even if he decides to run, he probably won't have his whole heart into it. I see him as a real outsider now.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:12 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,978 times
I think his heart's in it and will run. As someone else pointed out he all but said he was running on one of the Sunday morning talk shows a couple weeks ago, and could hardly contain himself as he talked about it.

One should do some research on the man before deciding on him. They might find he's not the candidate for them. I know he's not for me.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
Thanks for middle of the road analysis of Kasich from an Ohioans perspective. If any Republican candidate pulled 20% of the black vote nationwide, she or he would win next year. But, that is assuming a high turnout. Don't know if a high turnout is going to happen without Mr Obama leading the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Thanks for middle of the road analysis of Kasich from an Ohioans perspective. If any Republican candidate pulled 20% of the black vote nationwide, she or he would win next year. But, that is assuming a high turnout. Don't know if a high turnout is going to happen without Mr Obama leading the ticket.
I think they'd need more than 20%, not sure how much, but they have to also offset the deficit with Hispanics.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
If Wall St remains a big issue for Clinton, then maybe for Kasich too, though I'm less inclined to believe so at this stage, because it was not part of his "public" life.

KASICH'S LEHMAN PROBLEM - CNN's MJ Lee: "Ohio Gov. John Kasich loves talking about his record in office, his knack for balancing the budget and his controversial decision to back Medicaid expansion. But there's one part of his resume he's less inclined to discuss: the years he spent as a senior executive at Lehman Brothers. Kasich joined Lehman's investment banking division as managing director in 2001, working there until the firm's collapse in September 2008 unleashed global panic ...
"The Republican governor's past work at arguably the most deeply vilified Wall Street firm ... is likely to serve as rich fodder for political attacks if Kasich were to become a serious contender for the GOP's presidential nomination. His banking background is particularly ripe for scrutiny and criticism in the 2016 cycle, as populist, anti-Wall Street sentiment is fueling support for a number of candidates on both sides of the political aisle." http://cnn.it/1KXMTbv

Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post

Ohio is a key battleground state for the presidency. If he gets 20+% of the black vote here, he will win Ohio and history tellls us he will win the presidency.

Republicans should take note of that. Kasich has a positive reputation amongst the black business community in this state and with many popular black churches here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections