Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:00 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

This is the next Democratic stronghold to crack like the Rust Belt | New York Post

Great column. Zito hits it out of the park as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 06:05 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
You would think that, but 2020 is going to be a very peculiar year unless Trump can do something about his approval ratings and image. I think a lot of places will be going blue that haven't in a long time.

In 2024 and beyond though, you may be right. We will have to see what direction the post-Trump GOP goes in.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You would think that, but 2020 is going to be a very peculiar year unless Trump can do something about his approval ratings and image. I think a lot of places will be going blue that haven't in a long time.

In 2024 and beyond though, you may be right. We will have to see what direction the post-Trump GOP goes in.
Approval ratings do not matter any more than those polls saying HRC would win big.

Dems have zippo outside of what they won 4 months ago.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Approval ratings do not matter any more than those polls saying HRC would win big.

Dems have zippo outside of what they won 4 months ago.
You have to be living in a bubble to think Trump is popular. If the election was held again today he would surely lose. His die-hard supporters would still be voting Trump, but many who were on the fence would probably go Hillary if they could do it over again.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You have to be living in a bubble to think Trump is popular. If the election was held again today he would surely lose. His die-hard supporters would still be voting Trump, but many who were on the fence would probably go Hillary if they could do it over again.
He'd win today with the same states.

Red Wall held, Blue Wall cracked just where I sensed it would middle of 2016, posting articles here on the Rust Belt working class. (Salena Zito column on the issue talked of the polling differential by state even now)

Single national Polls mean squat. We run 51 individual elections.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:17 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nt-column.html

Old 04-03-2017, 06:42 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
In 2020 Trump will not have the advantage of running against a hugely unpopular candidate who was bogged down in scandals and unable to connect with voters or run a decent campaign. If the Rs had someone other than Trump Hillary would have also lost the popular vote.

I have seen nothing in the last couple of months that suggests Trump is expanding his support. 46% is too low of a total to hold of a decent opposing candidate. And younger voters who sat this one out because it was a 'none of the above' choice of candidates may return to the polls.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
In 2020 Trump will not have the advantage of running against a hugely unpopular candidate who was bogged down in scandals and unable to connect with voters or run a decent campaign. If the Rs had someone other than Trump Hillary would have also lost the popular vote.

I have seen nothing in the last couple of months that suggests Trump is expanding his support. 46% is too low of a total to hold of a decent opposing candidate. And younger voters who sat this one out because it was a 'none of the above' choice of candidates may return to the polls.
Had the GOP run a "mainstreet" Republican (AKA a marxist. Yes I know), yep

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
He'd win today with the same states.

Red Wall held, Blue Wall cracked just where I sensed it would middle of 2016, posting articles here on the Rust Belt working class. (Salena Zito column on the issue talked of the polling differential by state even now)
I'm not so sure. Many people were willing to give Trump a chance. And what’s one of the very first things he did? Appointed a fast food CEO to head up the labor department. A real indicator that the plight of the working class in America keeps him up at night. Trump’s betrayals are, like him -- blunt, flagrant and outrageous.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I'm not so sure. Many people were willing to give Trump a chance. And what’s one of the very first things he did? Appointed a fast food CEO to head up the labor department. A real indicator that the plight of the working class in America keeps him up at night. Trump’s betrayals are, like him -- blunt, flagrant and outrageous.
I didn't vote for Trump but I was willing to give him a chance prior to Jan 20th. At bare-minimum he could have appointed qualified individuals to his cabinet to help compensate for his lack of experience. However, this has played out the absolute worst it possibly could have.

I don't agree with Trump's policies on a lot of issues, but his policies are not what scares me most about him. If a competent leader had the same positions as Trump, I would have a lot more respect for them despite not agreeing. Trump specifically, with his lack of experience and competence, especially when dealing with foreign affairs, is a big problem. This nation is currently in serious jeopardy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections