Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 02:46 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

I think we need to replicate Rush Limbaugh's "Operation Chaos" of 2008 in to the 2016 primaries.

Republicans need to vote in the Democratic Primaries for Bernie Sanders.

I think the biggest (albeit not the only ) hurdle that stands in the way of Republicans taking back the white house in 2016 will be the same as it was in 2008...... The "culturally significant candidate" factor.

If we can eject Hillary Clinton from the race, and just have two old white men to choose from, than the election will become far more about the substantive issues and less about the social significance of electing the first woman to the presidency. All the college yuppies, feminists, and uninformed voters who are voting for the historical significance of voting for a woman will likely be far less interested in an election once it's just about the real issues facing our country, and thus, far less a factor.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 03:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
As a moderate who likely wont vote Republican (John Kaisch is the only one I might vote for), Clinton I cannot see being the nominee. She's just another Washington insider who outside of a few issues isn't substantively different than the 'mainstream' Republicans.

I prefer Jim Webb.
That said Bernie Sanders may get my vote, may.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:35 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,771 times
If Rand Paul isn't on the ballot in Virginia I had already planned to do this.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Just like Republicans did in 2008? Thanks for the help getting Obama elected, we will also take your support to get the next Democrat elected as president.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:12 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos? I love it when someone gives a fancy name for something obvious.

Except that, in closed primary states, you can only vote in the primary of your own party affiliation. Out of the swing states, only Virginia and Iowa allow open primary. So, in theory, those are the states that you can possibly sabotage.

Fortunately, Rush's audience has shrunk drastically, as his show's ratings tank. The audience can barely walk around, so there won't be any high turnout for this Operation Chaos. It sounds so dumb. He needs to get a grip.

Mick

Old 07-16-2015, 09:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Fortunately, Rush's audience has shrunk drastically, as his show's ratings tank. The audience can barely walk around, so there won't be any high turnout for this Operation Chaos. It sounds so dumb. He needs to get a grip.

Mick
yeah, good thing that Air America is picking up all of those lost listeners..

Old 07-16-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yeah, good thing that Air America is picking up all of those lost listeners..
Assuming Air America didn't go under, intelligent discourse would have just gone right over the heads of the "Dittoheads" (what kind of dumb name is that?) anyway. Moreover, people who listen to AM radio wouldn't have a satellite radio or computer with high speed Internet for streaming.

Mick

Old 07-16-2015, 09:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Assuming Air America didn't go under, intelligent discourse would have just gone right over the heads of the "Dittoheads" (what kind of dumb name is that?) anyway. Moreover, people who listen to AM radio wouldn't have a satellite radio or computer with high speed Internet for streaming.

Mick
Right, no one who listens to AM radio has satellite or computers.. Sure, if you say so..

Have anything to backup such a dumb ass statement?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Right, no one who listens to AM radio has satellite or computers.. Sure, if you say so..

Have anything to backup such a dumb ass statement?
Oops, did I touch a raw nerve?

Even 5 years ago, only 3.1 million people listened to AM listenership, per Veronis Suhler Stevenson. That's less than 1.0% of the U.S. population. The number is a lot less today. So no one listens to AM, especially people who are in 18-36 age bracket where, almost literally, no one listens to AM.

Do they have satellite radio? Do they have high speed Internet (not AOL dial-up with 56K baud modem)? I am sure there are some who do. But an educated guess says many of the AM listeners are not likely to pay for "unnecessary" stuff, based on their demographic data.

Mick

Old 07-16-2015, 11:43 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos? I love it when someone gives a fancy name for something obvious.

Except that, in closed primary states, you can only vote in the primary of your own party affiliation. Out of the swing states, only Virginia and Iowa allow open primary. So, in theory, those are the states that you can possibly sabotage.

Mick
I can always change my party affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections