Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'm saying having it as an open issue works in their favor, and against those opposed to it.

They are lucky the GOP is gullible enough to fall for it, and play along.
In the end, neither party is looking out for Americans.

That's sad because at one time dems truly looked out for the poor, working and middle classes. Those dems of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the work force due to illegal immigration---and they would have done something about it---and I don't mean amnesty.

Today's dems fight tooth and nail to put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed American citizens. Again, neither party is looking out for Americans but at one time I would have expected much, much better from the dems.

Neither party should be pandering to lawbreakers and those who aid and abet said lawbreakers. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:16 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
In the end, neither party is looking out for Americans.

That's sad because at one time dems truly looked out for the poor, working and middle classes. Those dems of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the work force due to illegal immigration---and they would have done something about it---and I don't mean amnesty.

Automation and offshoring did the majority of the harm to low skilled labor. It is progress, and it should continue, as profits are the true goal of a corp, employment is just a byproduct.

At my last few corps, the reduction in labor required with increasing throughput was incredible. We owned subsidiaries making more with 80 people than they made with 300 just 20 years earlier.

The best thing both parties can do is encourage people to get past low skilled, entry level jobs..best left for teenagers.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Automation and offshoring did the majority of the harm to low skilled labor. It is progress, and it should continue, as profits are the true goal of a corp, employment is just a byproduct.

At my last few corps, the reduction in labor required with increasing throughput was incredible. We owned subsidiaries making more with 80 people than they made with 300 just 20 years earlier.

The best thing both parties can do is encourage people to get past low skilled, entry level jobs..best left for teenagers.
Really? Seriously?

What about jobs in the construction industries? They can't be outsourced. Yet so many Americans in the construction fields have lost their livelihoods because they couldn't compete with their sleazy competitors who use illegal alien labor.

You know darn well that many unskilled jobs can't be automated. And you also know that illegal aliens have taken those jobs and depressed wages.

Some people, for various reasons, can't get past unskilled jobs. They should NEVER lose out to illegal aliens. In some places, teens can't get jobs because illegals are doing them.

Either way, dems are actively screwing over Americans by putting illegals first, which is shameful.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD;40477630

[B
You know darn well that many unskilled jobs can't be automated[/b]. .
Wrong. Any rote task can be automated. Europe has fast food kiosks; near McD's USA hq, there is a robotic store of the not distant future. Call 411.get a voice recognition machine..same with credit cards. Go to Shop Rite as I just did,self checkouts mostly. Buy an airline ticket..used to be a travel agent..same with hotels.

We're just beginning to see the start of low skilled job elimination. It will speed up as automation gets cheaper, as it is sold en masse.

People will need to get past low skills for life.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:48 PM

62,961 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Really? Seriously?

What about jobs in the construction industries? They can't be outsourced. Yet so many Americans in the construction fields have lost their livelihoods because they couldn't compete with their sleazy competitors who use illegal alien labor.

You know darn well that many unskilled jobs can't be automated. And you also know that illegal aliens have taken those jobs and depressed wages.

Some people, for various reasons, can't get past unskilled jobs. They should NEVER lose out to illegal aliens. In some places, teens can't get jobs because illegals are doing them.

Either way, dems are actively screwing over Americans by putting illegals first, which is shameful.
Construction and landscaping jobs were once done by American adults for a decent wage. Not any more since illegals have flooded those industries. Many Americans like blue-collared jobs and there is nothing wrong with that. Should they become white-collared desk jockeys dong something they hate just so illegal aliens can have their jobs? I swear some of the anti-American remarks in here make me sick.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Construction and landscaping jobs were once done by American adults for a decent wage. Not any more since illegals have flooded those industries. Many Americans like blue-collared jobs and there is nothing wrong with that. Should they become white-collared desk jockeys dong something they hate just so illegal aliens can have their jobs? I swear some of the anti-American remarks in here make me sick.
Blame that on those that want to hire people to work for them under the table, not everyone wants an illegal job.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Wrong. Any rote task can be automated. Europe has fast food kiosks; near McD's USA hq, there is a robotic store of the not distant future. Call 411.get a voice recognition machine..same with credit cards. Go to Shop Rite as I just did,self checkouts mostly. Buy an airline ticket..used to be a travel agent..same with hotels.

We're just beginning to see the start of low skilled job elimination. It will speed up as automation gets cheaper, as it is sold en masse.

People will need to get past low skills for life.
So much of this is wrong^

Until the cooking of the food can be completely automated, there will be a need for fry cooks. Until someone invents a dishwasher that self loads and self unloads, there will be a need for dishwashing jobs. Yes, some restaurants are testing the concept of ordering your food by touch screen from your table---but---food runners are still needed to bring the food to the tables. Believe it or not---culinary school grads are in demand these days.

As for self checkouts --- Did you know that some stores have eliminated them? The reason being is that some customers have cheated the stores by failing to ring in some items. Plus, many people still prefer dealing with a cashier.

Some people actually still use travel agents---I know, what a shock!

Until robots can be invented to clean hotel rooms, maids will be needed.

So, tell us all---what do you have against employing those who are only capable of doing unskilled work? Would you rather they go on welfare or be institutionalized? Yes, some mentally disabled people are capable of doing unskilled work and believe it or not---actually want to earn their keep!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
So much of this is wrong^

No its wishful thinking to believe it is wrong. The goal of a corp is simple: maximize profits, and labor, like any cost, is something they actively seek to reduce as possible.

All it takes to not be caught in it is to do things beyond rote tasks. Self checkouts will be replaced by RFID; kiosks will become the norm, there are already prototypes for cooking burgers and cleaning rooms via robots as well.

Now I do think a small % of low skilled jobs will exist long term, but unless millions get past competing solely for them, the disadvantaged will be edged out by the unmotivated. Shame on the latter!

Old 07-19-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
No its wishful thinking to believe it is wrong. The goal of a corp is simple: maximize profits, and labor, like any cost, is something they actively seek to reduce as possible.

All it takes to not be caught in it is to do things beyond rote tasks. Self checkouts will be replaced by RFID; kiosks will become the norm, there are already prototypes for cooking burgers and cleaning rooms via robots as well.

Now I do think a small % of low skilled jobs will exist long term, but unless millions get past competing solely for them, the disadvantaged will be edged out by the unmotivated. Shame on the latter!
No, it is not "wishful thinking"---and you just admitted it by conceding that some unskilled jobs will exist in the long term.

Prototypes for cooking burgers---all well and good. However, more complex meals require a trained chef.

This future you envision is a long, long way from happening. Wake up!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:27 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I saw an article the other day that there is a huge shortage of skilled construction workers in the sunbelt states such that new home sales are being impacted. The story focused on South Carolina where they claim much of the illegal work force was chased away leaving builders with few qualified Americans to do the job.

I know in the Phoenix area that many restaurant jobs are vacant because of e-verify, too.

In the larger sense these are good developments because the shortages will mean wage increases that will bring back the workers (supply and demand price pressure applies to labor too), but it does raise the question whether Americans really want to do these jobs or would they rather collect that disability check from Social Security and complain on the internet all day about how the illegals have taken their work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections