Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:22 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,300,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That lies in Congress and Congress is not about to start doing anything for the good of the country. They no longer work for us and Trump is not going to change that. None of them are.
So why elect a president? Presidents make a lot of difference. They create a climate, they create their own waves that would be hard for the congress to resist. And of course as Obama has so ably shown us, there is a LOT that the president can do on his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:25 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,342,826 times
Quote:
Trump may be outlining issues but he has yet to say anything specific about how he might deal with that - or more importantly, how he would get a fractured, gerrymandered, ideologically driven congress to agree with him on anything. Presidents don't have much power in our system. That lies in Congress and Congress is not about to start doing anything for the good of the country. They no longer work for us and Trump is not going to change that. None of them are.
I don't know about that. I suspect Trump could be a master of the bully pulpit. Did you see his press conference yesterday? Every cable news channel was there. It's fascinating how easily he handles the press. He cajoles, flatters, makes grand pronouncements...and pulls it off. I suspect the last thing anyone is going to want is Trump in front of the media heaping white-hot scorn on them day after day.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
Quote:

Everyone wants to "simplify our code".
Except for the very rich and corporations who can use staffs of lawyers and CPA's to decode the prolix regulations THAT THEY WROTE for THEIR BENEFIT.
"Simplify the tax code" is Republican code meaning lower the taxes on the rich and raise them on everyone else.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:51 AM

931 posts, read 802,675 times
Quote:
"Simplify our code" is not a specific. Everyone wants to "simplify our code". It's the details that matter. Who wins, who loses. Trump may be outlining issues but he has yet to say anything specific about how he might deal with that - or more importantly, how he would get a fractured, gerrymandered, ideologically driven congress to agree with him on anything. Presidents don't have much power in our system. That lies in Congress and Congress is not about to start doing anything for the good of the country. They no longer work for us and Trump is not going to change that. None of them are.
Well if you're Obama who wants to destroy our country by imposing his belief and ideology on America by ignoring the Constitution, you do an executive order and bypass congress. Obama has perfected that move and has in the process weakened and ruined our country. Just saying.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:57 AM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times
Trump is the only way I will vote for the GOP. If Trump isn't the nominee, I'll vote for a Democrat.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Trump is the only way I will vote for the GOP. If Trump isn't the nominee, I'll vote for a Democrat.
Then you are voting Democrat! Trump will not be the nominee. There is a much better chance that he will be a third party candidate than the nominee of the Republican party. The latter is near zero. For that to happen would require a complete turnover of political power and influence in America in the next six months. It's just not going to happen.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:01 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,531,715 times
This thread is obviously a Trump rally, no point in debating all the holes in his rhetorical plans. He's no different than ALL the rest of them, from either party, he'll tell you what you want to hear.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:06 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I agree with the idea that all americans should be taken care of with basic living needs met.
I strongly disagree, and this is just one of the reasons why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JTn-ZezGg4

Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
So Hill's got your vote, eh?

Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,300,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
This thread is obviously a Trump rally, no point in debating all the holes in his rhetorical plans. He's no different than ALL the rest of them, from either party, he'll tell you what you want to hear.
You want plans? I can print plans off the internet all day. Plans aren’t hard to find, the will to do is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections