Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:04 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times

Advertisements

Donald Trump calls out Mark Zuckerberg on immigration - Aug. 17, 2015

Trump said Spoke out against Zuckerberg who called to make to make legal immigration easier especially for H-1B visas. Trump said he would make employers have to pay H-1B visa employees more to discourage businesses and he wants tech jobs to be first offered to Americans before H-1B applicants can be considered.

I live in San Francisco and I can tell you there is a shortage of programmers in the US and that is why companies want to make H-1B visas more available. I don't like government controlling these kinds of decisions, it should be the business's decision, so in these regard, he is more of a Democrat than even Sanders!

Hmmmmm I applaud Trump for saying what he believes, but Conservatives will hate this idea. I'm a moderate and I also hate it. We need to make legal immigration more available while cutting down on illegal immigration. We should encourage educated people to move to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 04:14 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Donald Trump calls out Mark Zuckerberg on immigration - Aug. 17, 2015

Trump said Spoke out against Zuckerberg who called to make to make legal immigration easier especially for H-1B visas. Trump said he would make employers have to pay H-1B visa employees more to discourage businesses and he wants tech jobs to be first offered to Americans before H-1B applicants can be considered.

I live in San Francisco and I can tell you there is a shortage of programmers in the US and that is why companies want to make H-1B visas more available. I don't like government controlling these kinds of decisions, it should be the business's decision, so in these regard, he is more of a Democrat than even Sanders!

Hmmmmm I applaud Trump for saying what he believes, but Conservatives will hate this idea. I'm a moderate and I also hate it. We need to make legal immigration more available while cutting down on illegal immigration. We should encourage educated people to move to the US.
You really believe businesses should decide American immigration and work permit policy? Umm no

Old 08-18-2015, 04:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I have some unemployed programmers as my friends. They were fired after their companies imported cheap labor from India. I think we should close ALL H1b immigration even if it would cost some tech companies money.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:36 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Trump wants to raise the compensation level of any foreigners hired to make it less attractive to hire them to take jobs away from American citizens. High tech employers are gaming the system, following outright deceptive and illegal practices, and putting our citizens out of work. Rubio's immigration sellout was written by them and for them. Trump is, once again, right on target.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:49 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have some unemployed programmers as my friends. They were fired after their companies imported cheap labor from India. I think we should close ALL H1b immigration even if it would cost some tech companies money.
Probably a "situation" like this: NFT: Qualcomm Lays Off 4,500 Workers While Demanding More H-1bs | Big Blue Interactive and we all know companies have been doing this for some time now. Yet another: Southern California Edison IT workers 'beyond furious' over H-1B replacements | Computerworld and The Magic Kingdom and the H-1B - The American Interest and I could go on and on.

So we can't get jobs in janitorial work because of the illegals and if we go to college, we can't get those jobs because of the H1B. Ah, something isn't right there.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:49 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times
I really don't know the answer to this, but are US programmers considered less qualified (worse) than foreign programmers getting these visas, or is there a shortage of qualified programmers in the US? Or is it purely a labor cost issue? Maybe it's hard to get an unbiased answer, but give me your thoughts if you are knowledgeable about the industry.

Mick

Old 08-18-2015, 10:42 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:

Totally agree.

If a job doesn`t pay enough to attract an American, it can remain unfilled until it does.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
If you are paying the going wages and can't find an employee, fine. If you are wanting to bring in cheap labor to undercut current wages, no.

That's what Trump is saying and I agree.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:02 PM

624 posts, read 379,254 times
When Trump says to pay "more" he means that he has to pay them the REAL market value instead of the value pricing that workers have been paid.

There is a shortage of good programmers in some areas. That is true. And if companies really need these employees they will still be able to get them at the same price they would have paid to hire a qualified American. Not at a discount.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
H1B is fine, it just needs to be closed off to certain countries and sectors of the economy. We did the same to nurses from the Philippines, we put a moratorium on new visas for skilled RNs from the Philippines, and now American RNs have a much better chance of landing jobs. I'm very positive that the SEIU had a decision in this, as nurses are highly organized like teachers. Lesson learned perhaps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections