Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:17 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Did anyone ever consider that maybe Paul's libertarian views did not have a lot of support in the populace? Maybe he's not in front because not a lot of people support him. Perhaps a winning message would translate into votes.

But, its always easier to claim some unfairness than to admit that you just lost a contest.
I would allow that claim if his true message were known. I don't think that freedom and liberty are unpopular. Nor is following the Constitution. However, issues like those aren't important when placed next to race, gender, religious affiliation, or POW status.

Like I've said before, a candidate like Giulliani, whose original campaign slogan was Authority is Freedom, has beaten Paul in only one race, NH. Yet the media still follows him around. Why? Polls? Well if media attention influences polls, ok. Is this the proverbial chicken/egg? It's not even about Ron Paul at this point. Why is Rudy still considered a viable candidate? Why was Thompson ever considered viable? And Huckabee? Where's he at lately? He stopped hauling the press around behind him and gets very little attention now.

And for the record, Ron Paul's platform is the same platform Ronald Reagan ran on in 1980. Anyone who claims to want a RR candidate and hasn't started supporting Paul wants the RR from 1988, which was Bush Sr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:49 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Rudy was once the top Republican in the polls. I don't think Ron Paul ever approached this level. Face it, people just do not agree with Ron Paul.

Why is that so hard to haul aboard?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:56 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Why can't we vote for our candidate? Why is that so hard to understand? I can't vote for bad candidates, is that so bad? People don't have to agree with Ron Paul but if they know he will fix the problems with our government and the economy, isn't that the president's job?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Why can't we vote for our candidate? Why is that so hard to understand? I can't vote for bad candidates, is that so bad? People don't have to agree with Ron Paul but if they know he will fix the problems with our government and the economy, isn't that the president's job?
You can vote for whomever you wish. If you sincerely believe in Ron Paul, you and your colleagues should write in his name on the general election ballot.

I disagree with you about Ron Paul -- I find him a distraction from the real issues -- but I respect your right to vote your conscience. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Rudy was once the top Republican in the polls. I don't think Ron Paul ever approached this level. Face it, people just do not agree with Ron Paul.

Why is that so hard to haul aboard?
You're right. Please tell me which authoritarian I should vote for. Hillary, Obama, McCain, Rudy, or Romney?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 PM

I believe that libertarianism became irrelevant about 1812.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Okay. Please tell me which authoritarian to vote for.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
So you deny that Barry Goldwater shaped the Republican party well into the 80s with his libertarian viewpoints? Liberty hasn't become irrelevant, the voting public has just become more and more ignorant of civics.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Okay. Please tell me which authoritarian to vote for.
Vote for whomever you wish, person!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Vote for whomever you wish, person!
No. That's not the way it works. You tell me which candidate to vote for. Obviously, mine is not worthy of my vote, so I am asking you, who should I vote for? Who do you support and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections