Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Because everything adds up and when you are putting your money at risk every $1 matters. Add to that increased sales tax, increased income tax, increased gas prices, increased food prices, it all adds up. And once again, you are investing in companies, not government, so if you attack the very companies you are investing in, you are hurting yourself.
No it doesn't. You say that, but it doesn't. If $1 matters, then YOU are in serious trouble. For most people, $365 a year is NOT going to break the bank. Stop eating out so often if $1 a day is going to ruin your life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Punished? Income is income. Why should the garbage man bust his butt and pay taxes on his earnings but someone can sit around the house doing nothing and his income is tax free?

On to my other point.....the small business owner isn't risking his money? He isn't going to still be paying taxes on his income?

The government did just that.
I personally don't think a person should be taxed twice on their investments. The money put into the mutual fund was already taxed. Buying real estate or mutual funds are some of the best way for people to retire. We should be making it easier for the middle-class, not harder. Garbage man who worked hard for his money and then paid taxes on his money who then puts it into a mutual fund only to have it be taxed again on that same money is wrong in my opinion.

A small business owner is risking money, but it's different in my opinion. Most people use investments for retirement, in order to qualify for capital gains, they have to keep their money invested long-term, if you want to make a rule where capital gains only applies to investments held for at least 5 years, then that's fine with me.

I think businesses should be taxed on their yearly income, but not when they sell their business. Many small business owners retire from increasing their business's value, not the actual income, so say Bob and Nancy bought a restaurant for $100k and 10 years later sold it for $1 million. They should be taxed on their yearly income, but not on their 10 year investment in the business. If they simply flipped the restaurant and sold it for a profit a few months later, then they should be taxed like income.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No it doesn't. You say that, but it doesn't. If $1 matters, then YOU are in serious trouble. For most people, $365 a year is NOT going to break the bank. Stop eating out so often if $1 a day is going to ruin your life
And that is why most Bernie supporters always cry foul and complain about not having any money. That is why most lottery winners end up going bankrupt or why many professional athletes end up going bankrupt. If $1 here, $5 there doesn't mean anything to you, then you better have a great income until the day you die.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
meaningless concept for the 54% of the population that does not work and pays zero taxes.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:22 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
That's not gonna happen. I can promise you that
And why not? Why is what he proposed any less likely than any of the freebies BernieClaus promises? His suggestions actually have a basis in reality.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
And that is why most Bernie supporters always cry foul and complain about not having any money. That is why most lottery winners end up going bankrupt or why many professional athletes end up going bankrupt. If $1 here, $5 there doesn't mean anything to you, then you better have a great income until the day you die.
I'm not gonna deny a big chunk of Bernie supporters support him for the supposed freebies. I'm not one of those. I'm not gonna benefit much from him being president, but he would do the whole country big favors. So, how about you dispense with the stereotype that ALL Bernie supporters are deadbeats, which is what you're trying to insinuate Unlike many poor people, I actually learned to manage my money very wisely. Not all of us are financially illiterate you know. I fund my own education with my own hard earned money and take pride in it for taking responsibility on my own. I wish you guys with your mindset would stop stereotyping us left of center as irresponsible morons who just want handouts

Old 10-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And why not? Why is what he proposed any less likely than any of the freebies BernieClaus promises? His suggestions actually have a basis in reality.
Yes, to you all right-wing ideas have a basis in reality, but no matter how noble you think your ideas are, they are not going to material just as likely as mine will. We can debate useless things all day long, but I'm gonna be taking care of myself and not waiting for government to bail me out. I'll be 6 feet under when that happens.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not gonna deny a big chunk of Bernie supporters support him for the supposed freebies. I'm not one of those. I'm not gonna benefit much from him being president, but he would do the whole country big favors. So, how about you dispense with the stereotype that ALL Bernie supporters are deadbeats, which is what you're trying to insinuate Unlike many poor people, I actually learned to manage my money very wisely. Not all of us are financially illiterate you know. I fund my own education with my own hard earned money and take pride in it for taking responsibility on my own. I wish you guys with your mindset would stop stereotyping us left of center as irresponsible morons who just want handouts
To be honest, I consider myself left of center. Bernie is more like the Huckabee of left, he is FAR left, about 1/2 inch away from Hugo Chavez. The only difference is he isn't advocating completely that banks etc should be ran by the government, but he is certainly barking up that door.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
I personally think we would do much better eliminating capital gains tax and do a better job teaching high schoolers the power of compounding interests, various strategies to build for retirement etc.
I agree. More focus on finance less on liberal arts.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
We can debate useless things all day long, but I'm gonna be taking care of myself and not waiting for government to bail me out. I'll be 6 feet under when that happens.
^^ exactly! Unfortunately there are many naive people who believe politicians when they imply they'll legislate prosperity and life of luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections