Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Rubio's credit card issues: New Rubio credit-card data show less spending - POLITICO

Note in the article he is upset about them going back 10 years yet with Carson, they are going back more than 40 years. I have yet to see them look at something on Carson in the last 10 years.
Nice way to compare apples to oranges. Rubio's credit card charges are being looked at for ten years because that's how long he's had a party credit card. The issue with Carson regards his teens, which means the story needs to be investigated when he was a teen.

Quote:
And, the Clintons, why put that back in the White House with Bill's sexual addiction and the business deals that they have pulled off.
Because what you may think of Bill Clinton's sex life, it was not the crux of his presidency. During his term, the nation had unprecedented peace and prosperity.

Gen. Grant was a known drunk but he was the best General in the Union army. When Lincoln wanted to promote him, his cabinet warned Lincoln of Grant's drinking. Lincoln's response was, "find out what he drinks and send a case to all the other generals."

Regardless, Bill Clinton's sexuality doesn't have anything to do Hillary Clinton running for president. It's somewhat sexist to condemn the woman for acts of her husband.
Quote:
Trump is the man for 2016. Rubio looks like a little weasel and as it turns out, he plays the part also.
I hope Trump does get the nomination. It will be fun for Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
It is not all that unusual for politicians at the state and loca level who are also in party leadership to mix finances via party issued cc. Not poor judgement or weak character provided the personal expenses are paid for personally. Rules of the game.

No offense. Really.
But, You folks are naive to believe politicians play in the same game as the citizenry. It has not been the case since very early in this county's founding. Read some history and biographies of the early years of the birth of our Constitutional republic.
Using an organizations credit card, which is supposed to be for items purchased on behalf of the organization, is a clear violation of his duty to the organization. If I was to use my company credit card for personal use, I'd be fired as soon as it was found out.

Rubio used the RNC credit card for personal vacations and other items, personal in nature. There is no excuse for that. "I didn't notice" is a poor excuse.

The underlying question is why did Rubio need to essentially steal from the RNC when he earns $200,000 as a Senator and had a book deal of $2,000,000? Does Rubio have an Elliot Spitzer problem? (Spitzer spend $85,000 a year on high-priced prostitutes.) Does he have a Dennis Hastert problem? (Hastert paid a million as hush money to cover up a pedophile incident that he performed.) Does Rubio have a drug or gambling problem? Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:50 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
My question is why isn't the media and the public expecting him not to use the credit card in the first place???
He DID use it, for both official purchases and for his privet use. He was only supposed to use it for official business for the organization that supplied it to him. Not for personal expenditures. For those, he should have always used his own credit card. That he repeatedly abused toe sponsor's card, even if he paid it back, shows little concern for attention to detail (oh, it was an accident!) and/or willful disregard for rules concerning its use.

I was a federal employee, and before I was issued a credit card to use for official purchases, I had to take a class. Every month, all my purchases were reviewed before the statement was processed. Anything questionable I had to answer for, which could include punishments up to losing my job. If I had accidentally used it for personal purchases, even once, I would have never had the chance to do it again.

Maybe the organization who issued the card didn't care, which leads to questions of where they actually keep track of the money they get (from taxpayers, donors, or whatever). Pretty cavalier on their part.

Since I had one, and I stuck to the rules, I feel like his access to using it for his own purchases is a case of "do as I say, not as I do". But then, since I don't think it is wise of the party to have either Trump or Carson as their candidates, and I think that Ted Cruz is just waiting for Trump, Carson, and Rubio to get shot down, I really don't want Cruz's particular brand of lunacy to be the competition against the democrats.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
LOL, what's so funny is people rolled all over Romney because he is rich, now they are rolling all over Rubio because he isn't.

Good to know that everyone here handles their finances so perfectly and never ever, ever makes a mistake, especially when they were younger, had kids, a mortgage, and on and on. I am still not decided but I will not be making a decision based on this.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Rubio's credit card issues: New Rubio credit-card data show less spending - POLITICO

Note in the article he is upset about them going back 10 years yet with Carson, they are going back more than 40 years. I have yet to see them look at something on Carson in the last 10 years.

And, the Clintons, why put that back in the White House with Bill's sexual addiction and the business deals that they have pulled off.

Trump is the man for 2016. Rubio looks like a little weasel and as it turns out, he plays the part also.
and Trump has 4 company bankruptsies. What is you point other than, let's face it, the MSM are going to go after every single Reb until they distroy them one by one. Don't kid yourself, they will get Trump as well.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
He DID use it, for both official purchases and for his privet use. He was only supposed to use it for official business for the organization that supplied it to him. Not for personal expenditures. For those, he should have always used his own credit card. That he repeatedly abused toe sponsor's card, even if he paid it back, shows little concern for attention to detail (oh, it was an accident!) and/or willful disregard for rules concerning its use.

I was a federal employee, and before I was issued a credit card to use for official purchases, I had to take a class. Every month, all my purchases were reviewed before the statement was processed. Anything questionable I had to answer for, which could include punishments up to losing my job. If I had accidentally used it for personal purchases, even once, I would have never had the chance to do it again.

Maybe the organization who issued the card didn't care, which leads to questions of where they actually keep track of the money they get (from taxpayers, donors, or whatever). Pretty cavalier on their part.

Since I had one, and I stuck to the rules, I feel like his access to using it for his own purchases is a case of "do as I say, not as I do". But then, since I don't think it is wise of the party to have either Trump or Carson as their candidates, and I think that Ted Cruz is just waiting for Trump, Carson, and Rubio to get shot down, I really don't want Cruz's particular brand of lunacy to be the competition against the democrats.
I agree with your statement. Most people who have corporate or government cards are expected to use due diligence to make sure they don't spend company money on private expenses, unless approved by someone who can approve such items (such as meals when on business travel.)

BTW:
"Private" is different than "privet," which is a bush or hedge.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:59 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
My husband was a Corporate Pilot before we retired...In the decades he worked in his profession he always had a credit card from the company he worked for and he never once used it for a personal purchase....

Every time the media talks about Rubio's card they fail to mention that it is still a problem even if he paid every penny back because it is common knowledge that the credit card is NEVER used for ANY personal purchases.

I am a Republican but I don't want a president who can't handle his own finances much less the nations finances any more than I want a president who, all be it for a belt buckle, would probably be in jail for life right now.
My spouse also always had a Corporate Credit card AND he was not supposed to use it for anything personal because it was a Company RULE. The difference between our spouses and Rubio is that it was NOT a "rule" for Rubio. It was a "rule" for Rubio that he pay any of his personal expenses on his Republican card. He did that.

As far as "handle his own finances" - it sure wasn't an ISSUE in 2008 when Obama ran for President.
The old Double Standard is front and center again. How many people remember (or ever even heard) that Obama's Credit Card was Maxed out and Declined when he attempted to attend the Democratic Convention in 2000? I still think that was amazing. A man who had to leave the DNC Convention because his Credit Card was declined in 2000, became a US Senator in 2006 and President of the USA in 2008. Pretty amazing journey - broke to President in 8 short years. I'd say he had a little financial "aid" along the way ..... running for any office is an expensive deal.
Obama at the 2000 Convention |Democratic Underground/Bloomberg

Rubio's credit card - What the media is missing

1. No "rule" against using the Republican Credit card
2. He paid every penny he owed on the Republican Credit card.
3. The Media has failed to show any interest in any Democrats with Credit Card bills/problems
4. This is an OLD, OLD story that Charlie Crist tried to promote 5 years ago & it didn't work then either.
5. The Media isn't "missing" anything at all ..... they are doing their standard Hit job on a GOP candidate.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I agree with your statement. Most people who have corporate or government cards are expected to use due diligence to make sure they don't spend company money on private expenses, unless approved by someone who can approve such items (such as meals when on business travel.)

BTW:
"Private" is different than "privet," which is a bush or hedge.
Oops! sorry about the typo.. but, then I haven't looked at the details of his purchases. Maybe he even spent some of it on a privet?

Old 11-08-2015, 08:07 AM

[quote=Kibby;41851353 The difference between our spouses and Rubio is that it was NOT a "rule" for Rubio. It was a "rule" for Rubio that he pay any of his personal expenses on his Republican card. He did that.

[/quote]

I'm sure the donors to the Republican party are soooo happy to hear that Rubio's (and apparently anyone who got one of these cards) was a 'rule' that he was supposed to use it for personal expenses. Wow, guess that rest of us who separate personal from business are the fools, then.

The real issue isn't what the media is missing here - it is that ordinary people see the cavalier attitude towards accountability for funds and are kinda mad about it. At least I am - shame on both Rubio and the Republican party.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, what's so funny is people rolled all over Romney because he is rich, now they are rolling all over Rubio because he isn't.

Good to know that everyone here handles their finances so perfectly and never ever, ever makes a mistake, especially when they were younger, had kids, a mortgage, and on and on. I am still not decided but I will not be making a decision based on this.
I don't fault anyone who has financial issues in their youth....My issue is with hiring a president who has them in adulthood & who doesn't show up for a job to which he was elected. With our country being trillions of dollars in debt I have a hard time trusting someone who can't tell the difference from a Master Card & an American Express when he pulls it out of his pocket.

BTW....Rubio was my first choice early on until these things were revealed about him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections