Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:27 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Not just in my eyes. Almost half of recent national polls (RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Trump vs. Clinton) have Trump within 3-4% points of Clinton, a fact that I attribute, in part, to Clinton's weaknesses. I also note that there was once a time where a solid majority of Republicans polled stated they'd never vote for Trump, but times have changed. I'm not claiming that Trump would beat Hillary, and would not bet that he would. Still, I could see how he could overcome a head-to-head match-up against Hillary due exactly to his bombastic style where he is able to masterfully make those he goes up against look weak and small.
He certainly did that to Jeb Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:30 PM

934 posts, read 595,771 times
Hell yeah. Cruz would be good too

Old 12-23-2015, 10:34 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,607,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
More than double actually. Hilldawg's at -10%; Trump's at -23%.
Like I've been saying all along, with the right candidate, this could be SUCH an easy win for Republicans. The only thing blocking that easy win are Trump's gullible, idiotic supporters. They have no foresight whatsoever. Like Trump, they live in the moment.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:02 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Clinton has a past full of corruption that will effectively be used to destroy her in a general election. Trump, not so much. Sure he's flipped on a few issues, but those issues haven't resulted in lost lives or middle east chaos, just to name a few. Clinton has a record to run on, and it's bad.
Either, our country will wake up and vote for Trump who will win in a landslide, or the useful idiots will come out in droves just to elect the first female U. S. president. I'm putting my money on Trump.
The voters are fully awake. Corruption is the old devil all the voters know. It's pulled out and used against someone in every election. It's also an issue that is very often so disputed that it usually loses its power unless the corruption is related to sex more than money, and money more than lives lost abroad.

Chaos, however, is feared by everyone. Since our government has teetered on the edge of chaos ever since 2000, the candidate who seems best prepared to hold a level keel will be more reassuring than a candidate who promises big chaos in the halls of the Capitol by saying things will be deeply shaken up.

When people hear that, they worry. They worry about their money, their security, and lots of other things all at once.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:59 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Like I've been saying all along, with the right candidate, this could be SUCH an easy win for Republicans. The only thing blocking that easy win are Trump's gullible, idiotic supporters. They have no foresight whatsoever. Like Trump, they live in the moment.
Yes; and the moment is now. This is our only hope of breaking away from special interest. Both Republicans and Democrats cannot stand Trump because he does not rely on somebody's dollar. We love to hire puppets on a string. Of course the puppet masters would never run themselves; they cannot hold out against the scrutiny that we give our candidates - so they 'hire' lackeys. That is why Trump is so popular; the others have no original ideas!

As far as no foresight; what are you going to do if you or your kids don't have a job? With many experts predicting one third of American jobs will be taken by automation in the next ten years and many of the other candidates pushing for limitless immigration/outsourcing do you think your job or your children's' is untouchable?

We are not backing candidates that have campaign slogan's: Make America Worse!

Old 12-24-2015, 08:39 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I think Trump has the potential to be a better president than Hillary Clinton, and certainly more likely to win against Clinton than Rubio or Cruz. That's not saying a lot because I'm pretty sure Clinton is going to win, but if anyone on the Republican side has a chance to beat her it's Trump.

Cruz has zero appeal to independents and disaffected Democrats. He even turns me off. I can't stand the guy. Rubio is promising to be just like George W. Bush with his neocon advisors. We'd be right back to the worst of the Patriot Act and thousands of troops landing in Iraq to fight a long ground war with no end.

Hillary Clinton is pretty much saying the same thing, with her insistence that Assad must go and we should help the supposed "moderate" rebel forces take over Syria. She's completely crazy on that issue. Russia has put their full weight and force behind Assad, so he stays. If they hadn't done so and Assad was deposed, it's pretty much a given that ISIS would be in control of Syria in his place.

Donald Trump is the only one who says let Assad and the Russians fight ISIS. Why is this our fight? For that reason, his stance on immigration that will help our own citizens get better jobs, and his promise to negotiate better trade deals, I'm willing to take a chance on him. Can he get all those things done? I'm not sure, but I think if anyone can get compromises and lead on issues, it's a bully like Trump. Just look at how much the bully LBJ accomplished? Sometimes you need a real leader and bully to get things done, especially in our current political climate.

You can call me gullible or idiotic, but in my opinion it would be idiotic or gullible to think any of the other Republicans could beat Clinton, or that ANY of the other candidates, including Clinton, would be good for this country.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I say yes. Not only do other GOP candidates have better #'s vs Hillary, but he just gives them so much ammo to use in the general election.
If we are talking about the Democrat Machine, I don't think so because Trump may attract some Democrat blue collar voters that would not be in play with other Republican candidates.

Hillary's weakness will not be her Republican opponent. Hillary's weakness will turn out to be low voter turn out. The people who showed up for Obama are just not that enthusiastic for her as you can tell by the size of the crowds at her controlled events. The only thing that could save her, in my opinion, is if Republican voters are just as unenthusiastic about the Republican candidate but as long as Jeb Bush isn't going to be that person, Republicans will probably be okay.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:00 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes; and the moment is now. This is our only hope of breaking away from special interest. Both Republicans and Democrats cannot stand Trump because he does not rely on somebody's dollar. We love to hire puppets on a string. Of course the puppet masters would never run themselves; they cannot hold out against the scrutiny that we give our candidates - so they 'hire' lackeys. That is why Trump is so popular; the others have no original ideas!

As far as no foresight; what are you going to do if you or your kids don't have a job? With many experts predicting one third of American jobs will be taken by automation in the next ten years and many of the other candidates pushing for limitless immigration/outsourcing do you think your job or your children's' is untouchable?

We are not backing candidates that have campaign slogan's: Make America Worse!
Sanders is a better example because Trump is an owner so he has freely admiring to owning politicians, even the Clintons. Sanders isn't owned nor is an owner. Most people can't see that forrest from the trees and I can't get it. Are Trump supporters really that tunnel visioned and sipping on the Kool-Aid Trump is passing out at his rallies to not think critically about bureaucracy and the problems of having special interests actually in a political office and cutting out the middlemen?

Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The voters are fully awake. Corruption is the old devil all the voters know. It's pulled out and used against someone in every election. It's also an issue that is very often so disputed that it usually loses its power unless the corruption is related to sex more than money, and money more than lives lost abroad.

Chaos, however, is feared by everyone. Since our government has teetered on the edge of chaos ever since 2000, the candidate who seems best prepared to hold a level keel will be more reassuring than a candidate who promises big chaos in the halls of the Capitol by saying things will be deeply shaken up.

When people hear that, they worry. They worry about their money, their security, and lots of other things all at once.
I have a co-worker that thinks we should vote Trump in as a wake-up call (in a work and employment thread, she's one that blames the government for Obamacare and rate hikes.) That is a worst reason to vote someone in than just simple dislike of the person. I may not like Hillary but unless Rubio and Christie is against her, there are too many Christian conservatives or wackjobs on the fringe right (some in fact are Christian conservatives) have pushed me away from this. Kaisch and Bush have sided with the Planned Parenthood falsified video that is as bad as any Michael Moore bait and switch interview in his movies.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:24 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
I'm not rooting for Trump to take the Republican primaries because on election night I want to believe that who ever wins, the country will be in good (or good enough) hands. I wouldn't feel that way with such a crass, bullying, lying, low-information jerk like Trump in charge. Though I think Hillary or Bernie could beat him, Trump would take the primaries deep down into the mud because he'd rather do that than show how little he actually knows about the world. He's exploiting the emotions of his fans with no workable solutions for anything and a primary season Trump style would sure make us look awful to the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections