Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 AM

658 posts, read 1,144,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Here's a hint...the financial industry is regulated more heavily than any other industry in America. They don't do anything without the active help, support, and often connivance of the federal government and all it's regulatory agencies. You don't have to believe me, read Flash Boys by Michael Lewis if you want an example of what I'm talking about.

This post is biopharmas complete lack of surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:08 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,707,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I did no such thing, and I said from the beginning, MSNBC is not the source of the poll.
I address the message and put forth correctly that you as a messenger use the exact same tactic.
  • I never said MSNBC was the source of the poll, and you know this. So yet again, nonsense.
  • Your first sentence in your post, disproves the 2nd.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:04 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,560,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What we need is a problem solver and not a problem maker. We need a politician that actually represents most of us and not the rest of the world.
Still sounds like you're talking about Sanders. He is level headed about gun rights, rural and urban Americans, and our over-involvement in foreign conflicts. He has a solid track record supporting veterans, working Americans from farmers to employees.

Here is a link to his sponsored, or co-sponsored bills. Believe it or not he co-sponsored a recent bill with Ted Cruz.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-...1#.VogClFmz2KK

Here is a link to his votes on issues not just sponsored or co-sponsored by him.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-...d#.VogCylmz2KL

Old 01-02-2016, 10:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,711,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
This year, millennials replace baby boomers as the nation's largest living generation, and they are rejecting the message of Donald Trump by large margins.
Millenials and the X generation need to wake up and stop listening to any more Baby Boomers. As a generation, Baby Boomers have screwed up every last thing they've touched. They've bungled finance, pushed medical care out of the reach of their kids, trashed education, wrecked industry, and destroyed the middle class. They've created a comically paralytic government full of old prunes who will sell their own kids for a six pack. They've profiteered from wars that didn't need to be started. The only thing they know how to do is how to inflate a massive bubble, then pop the whole thing and stick others with the bill. If you can name something, chances are they've singlehandedly screwed it up.

So Millenials and X-ers need to wake up and stop voting for any more of the same locusts who trashed everything in the first place--no matter how well-intentioned that person appears. Trump, Sanders, Clinton, or anyone else who falls into the Boomer generation. Their entire generation thinks that getting ahead means putting others behind. Every last one of them is defective.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,833,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This has been going on since industrialization began in the early 1800s. Automation always creates new jobs as well.

What has changed is there is no longer a national industrial policy that recognizes the importance of keeping skills in the USA. No national industrial policy that acts as a check against misguided government mandates which also destroy jobs.

Every other country has this, but ever since the Clinton years, this has been tossed out and replaced with the notion that it's a great idea for the American worker to directly compete with people working in slave like conditions in 3rd world countries.
US business has to compete in a global market to survive. Why would a business limit their product / service to 5% of the world's population when it could reach the other 95%?

Boeing needs to sell aircraft to the world to employ US people. China is a major buyer of Boeing aircraft. China imposes conditions on these purchases that requires the interiors of Made in the US aircraft to be finished in China.

In contrast, most clothing worn by US people is made elsewhere. Maybe the US should require such clothing to be finished in the US. Maybe US people could attach zippers and create jobs for US people, eh ?

European and US automakers have had plants in Mexico for decades. Cheap labor is only part of the draw. The other often overlooked advantage is that Mexico maintains more open trade agreements with the rest of the world than the US and European countries do.

Plenty of foreign automakers have US plants to manufacture cars destined for the US market. Makes no sense to do so in say Japan and ship when the product can be made in the US for less.

Neither the US people nor the rest of the world are willing to pay a premium to sustain the US middle class when they can buy equal products from elsewhere for less?

Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,196,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Still sounds like you're talking about Sanders. He is level headed about gun rights, rural and urban Americans, and our over-involvement in foreign conflicts. He has a solid track record supporting veterans, working Americans from farmers to employees.

Here is a link to his sponsored, or co-sponsored bills. Believe it or not he co-sponsored a recent bill with Ted Cruz.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-...1#.VogClFmz2KK

Here is a link to his votes on issues not just sponsored or co-sponsored by him.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-...d#.VogCylmz2KL

Yes; I would vote for Sanders over Hillary. But I still see Trump as a break away from the same old......

I really don't like either Party. I am a registered Independent - but I will switch and switch back after the Primaries. In my 68 years I have seen so many broken promises and politicians, that I once supported, make bad decisions based on their true supporters and not the voters. I just want a breath of fresh air. I am really tired of politics as usual.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:23 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,560,585 times
Quote:
Yes; I would vote for Sanders over Hillary. But I still see Trump as a break away from the same old......

I really don't like either Party. I am a registered Independent - but I will switch and switch back after the Primaries. In my 68 years I have seen so many broken promises and politicians, that I once supported, make bad decisions based on their true supporters and not the voters. I just want a breath of fresh air. I am really tired of politics as usual.
I do not have nearly as many years as you do (29). Been working full time in construction since I was 19. I actually was much more conservative then (voted for Ron Paul) than I am now. As the Tea-party became less populist and more of a front for big money interest I began to dig deeper into who is really pulling the strings. I realized I was often voting in favor on interests that do no benefit me, or for parties much better off than I am. I felt like I was voting on somebody else's behalf, not my own. Now that I have a family my view of things have morphed further. I never straight ticket vote. I look at the candidate, their qualifications, and if possible their voting record.

I do not agree with Sanders on everything. I would not expect the "revolution" he calls for to occur. I do think he does a fantastic job at highlighting real every day issues that affect the majority of people but most of the other candidates are not interested in discussing. Labor issues, farming subsidies, poverty, family leave, healthcare access etc. Many republicans have jumped on the hawk train, and hillary (also very hawkish) seems to talking a lot about drug abuse (war on drugs?) lately.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Many republicans have jumped on the hawk train, and hillary (also very hawkish) seems to talking a lot about drug abuse (war on drugs?) lately.
Poll after poll in New Hampshire shows a majority are concerned about the heroin epidemic within the state, often times more so than the economy or terrorism. Politians know and pander to it.

Many Republicans and Democrats are driving the hawk train.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:

All politicians make promises they cannot keep. Often times they don't even try or become distracted by other matters. Other times Congress , even when it's the president's party, does not go along.

For every voter that wants this, there is another voter who wants that. No way to please all the people, all the time.

When someone donates $100 million or bundles almost $ billion to a superpac, they expect a return on their investment.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM

89,291 posts, read 45,013,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Wall Street has been stealing money from salt of the earth Americans for 40 years now. By design, as a result of banking deregulation, weakening of antitrust legislation and weakening of collective bargaining rights, Wall Street has been on a massive pillage and plunder binge at the expense of ordinary Americans.
Hmmm..."Ordinary Americans" have about $25 Trillion invested in their pension plans and retirement accounts. That's more than the entire U.S. GDP. Attack Wall Street and you attack Main Street America's retirement.

https://www.ebri.org/publications/be...cfm?fa=retfaq4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections