Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:41 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgardian View Post
The purpose of politics is to maintain the status quo for the elites who benefit from the political system. Since you don't like that Trump isn't playing by the "rules" you are either one of those rich and powerful elites, or one of the useful idiots that they brainwash to keep them in power.
elected legislators have given politics a bad name. Being 'political' implies a strategy of cooperation and negotiation that applies to business and every other flavor of organization.

Legislators have evolved like Darwin's finches to take advantage of their environment and manipulate voters who provide them with lifetime benefits and elite privelege. Doesn't hurt that they have their own legal language that leaves non lawyers befuddled. Lawyers refrain, 'here is the law...what do you think you see?' Let's litigate and in ten years we'll see if we committed a crime or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 06:49 AM

211 posts, read 115,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Go read up on Trump and you will understand why he is not qualified. BTW, he did NOT serve in the military, except in his mind.
I must have missed what branch Hillary was in

Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
He has extensively more executive experience than Obama.
Executive experience of a private company is not the same thing as government where Congress holds the purse strings and there is limited control of world events.

Neither Cruz or Rubio have executive experience and have not accomplished much in the Senate, yet they are polling well.

Those interested in executive experience might look towards current or past governors, especially sitting governors. This would require taking what they inherited versus the current state, the overall economy and the political demographics of the state into consideration.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Surely they dont ANYONE run. Does he have a political background?? I havent done any digging but all i know is that he's a rich investor more or less. Did he study politics on any level? If im not mistaken he was in the military for sometime?? What does this guy have??? Not that im denying his qualifications but i guess my lack of knowledge about him in my eyes he just looks like a celebrity.

What qualified Obama?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:15 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Surely they dont ANYONE run. Does he have a political background?? I havent done any digging but all i know is that he's a rich investor more or less. Did he study politics on any level? If im not mistaken he was in the military for sometime?? What does this guy have??? Not that im denying his qualifications but i guess my lack of knowledge about him in my eyes he just looks like a celebrity.
So . . . you're saying he's not Jimmy Carter?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:20 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Go read up on Trump and you will understand why he is not qualified. BTW, he did NOT serve in the military, except in his mind.
He served on the front lines of a military prep school.

Says the only reason he didn't serve in the grown-up military is because he had a bone spur, though he doesn't remember where.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Does he have a political background?? .
None.

Bone spurs in his feet, they say.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

The qualifications for being president are that you are a natural born citizen of the United States, who is at least 35 years old and has lived in the country for the last 14 years. There is no requirement of military service.

Trump qualifies.

Hell, I qualify.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:34 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
He served on the front lines of a military prep school.

Says the only reason he didn't serve in the grown-up military is because he had a bone spur, though he doesn't remember where.
You have to admit, the Republican Party is full of draft dodgers, mainly because they are the children of privilege, and those children rarely serve in the military. When they get elected, or when they try to get elected, they start to overcompensate, especially in regards to use of the military.

I still remember Bush flying onto the aircraft carrier, jumping out in his flight suit, like he was a pilot or something. They allowed him to graduate flight school because his Daddy was George H. Bush, and he bailed out of the National Guard before he had the opportunity (or the ability) to become a pilot. But he stayed out of Vietnam. Recently you had Romney talking tough in 2012, after he hid out in France while "supporting" Vietnam.

Now we got Rubio, Trump, Cruz, Christie, all trying to sound tough. These people are repellent.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:39 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What qualified Obama?
An adult life devoted to public service? 20 years of government experience? I realize it is not as glamorous as building cement high-rises and golf courses and living the playboy jetset lifestyle, but does provide more experience with political science and government. He certainly had more experience than Reagan had.

"...graduating from Columbia with a political science major in 1983. After spending an additional year in New York as a researcher with Business International Group, a global business consulting firm, Obama accepted an offer to work as a community organizer in Chicago's largely poor and black South Side...Harvard Law School, where he excelled as a student, graduating magna *** laude and winning election as president of the prestigious Harvard Law Review for the academic year 1990-1991... and was easily elected...Obama's time in the legislature initially was frustrating. Republicans controlled the state senate...e Illinois State Senate. He ran as a Democrat and won election in 1996...he adapted, developing cordial personal relations with legislators of both parties...During his years as a state senator, Obama worked with both Democrats and Republicans to draft legislation on ethics, as well as expand health care services and early childhood education programs for the poor. He also created a state earned-income tax credit for the working poor. As chairman of the Illinois Senate's Health and Human Services Committee Obama worked with law enforcement officials to require the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases after a number of death-row inmates were found to be innocent...Obama was able to get campaign finance reform and crime legislation enacted even when his party was in the minority, and after 2002, when the Democrats won control of the Senate, he became a leading legislator on a wide range of issues, passing nearly 300 bills aimed at helping children, old people, labor unions, and the poor... By speaking out against Bush's war policies, Obama set himself apart from the other leading candidates for the Democratic Senate nomination...Obama coasted to an easy victory against Ryan's replacement on the ballot, black conservative Republican Alan Keyes. Obama won by the largest margin in the history of Senate elections in Illinois, 70 percent to 27 percent...Sworn into office on January 3, 2005, Obama partnered with Republican Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana on a bill that expanded efforts to destroy weapons of mass destruction in Eastern Europe and Russia. Then, with Republican Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, he created a website to track all federal spending. Obama also spoke out for victims of Hurricane Katrina, pushed for alternative energy development and championed improved veterans' benefits.

This is all before running for POTUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections