Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:57 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,939 times

Advertisements

Sanders focus on things that matter to the american working and middle classes. his ideas are not all good or bad, it's a mix. But early on, he broke the "golden rule" by talking about how "open borders" is a right-wing dream.

both the left and the right have been pursuing essential open borders. the goal is complex.

1. bring in cheaper labor, suppress wages. well to do people pay less, become wealthier. the economic inequality widens.
2. divide the population, make it harder to organize and achieve solidarity, weaken democracy
3. restructure demographics to meet the demands of special interest groups.

but on a deeper level, it is to transform the once content first world into a survival mode where it must compete with the third world. rich and poor countries will meet in the middle. but the rich in these countries will become richer.

the left takes no action against this trend; in fact, it is making it easier. the Right pretends to fight such trend with "the wall" or whatever, but meanwhile seek to pass amnesty in favor of population growth.

Now. Sanders broke this golden rule. He questions the validity of more immigration; He wants corporations to make products in america; he wants the economic conversation to trump an overly racial discourse that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

the left's approach today is from the vintage point of the well to do liberal: i'm not affect by these trends. i make good money and i welcome these great things. my job isn't threatened. i get diverse food and have diverse friends. those lower class hooligans are just stupid. for lower class people, just throw money and create more programs, but no one cares about lifting these people up seriously, no one thinks about it seriously.

but sanders seems to want to "help" these people by tweeking the economic structure. the well to do mainstream liberal doesn't want that. they may well be aware that they are making the poor's lives harder, but oh well, throw more money.

sanders spoiled their game, people. he spoiled their game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 09:15 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I haven't been following Sanders, but several of the Republicans have been advocating closed, or more limited, borders.

Historically, Republicans were in favor of open borders for the cheap labor and Democrats were against it since it took jobs away from lower waged workers and kept wages low. Now, it's more of a national security issue.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I haven't been following Sanders, but several of the Republicans have been advocating closed, or more limited, borders.

Historically, Republicans were in favor of open borders for the cheap labor and Democrats were against it since it took jobs away from lower waged workers and kept wages low. Now, it's more of a national security issue.
Not really national security. Now it's labor cost. And both parties are in support of it.

Of course the diversification of the population also means that it's harder and less legitimate to oppose open borders.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:41 PM

Maybe the business owners in both parties are in favor of it, but I think most non-businessowners are opposed to open borders (at least on the Right) for fear that Muslim terrorist may be let in, that Mexican (and Central Americans) criminals are being let in, that Mexicans are bringing in a lot of drugs, that Mexicans are changing the American culture because they are coming in such great numbers, that Mexicans are going to drain our social welfare resources, etc.

As a wealthy conservative, I really shouldn't care if immigrants are taking jobs away from poor Democrats, but as a patriotic American conservative, I would like to see Americans have first dibs on jobs here.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe the business owners in both parties are in favor of it, but I think most non-businessowners are opposed to open borders (at least on the Right) for fear that Muslim terrorist may be let in, that Mexican (and Central Americans) criminals are being let in, that Mexicans are bringing in a lot of drugs, that Mexicans are changing the American culture because they are coming in such great numbers, that Mexicans are going to drain our social welfare resources, etc.

As a wealthy conservative, I really shouldn't care if immigrants are taking jobs away from poor Democrats, but as a patriotic American conservative, I would like to see Americans have first dibs on jobs here.
The line between a foreigner and American is blurred. Some have green cards. Some naturalize. Interviews don't always yield information about a persons citizenship. And we have laws that give protection to job seekers. Our employment laws do not favor Americans the way Canadian laws favor Canada's own. It'd be a lot to try to change those laws and businesses won't support it.

Anyone can become an American. Those who are hired as foreigners can become American several years later. My point is that your argument for prioritizing Americans is On a moving target. Who are Americans?

In the end, some individuals are winners and some are losers. It's hard to make it into an American versus foreigner thing.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:52 PM

27,658 posts, read 16,147,064 times
from my observation, the pols want to play good cop bad cop and only the citizens want secure borders.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
The immigration tsunami so far was supported by both parties (if for different reasons). It's easy to prove it, even if some conservatives wish to deny their party's support. The reason why solving this problem proved so difficult its only because both sides support it behind the scene. If conservatives were genuinely opposed, they would have blocked it decades ago. And in their naïveté, liberals always support it. Europeans did the same and the future of the continent became very uncertain.
Bernie Sanders isn't such an innovative thinker as the OP believes. He is trying to find his way in the mine field called elections. How can he stand out with Hillary next to him? What can he say not to sound like a copycat of his opponents? There aren't many choices. As a matter of fact, Bernie is traditionally focusing on a couple of issues, but doesn't have a world view (Wall Street, stagnant wages, the billionaires, taxes, the middle class). Therefore, he invents as he goes.
(Same thing with Trump. He has to invent original opinions on things he doesn't care or know much about).

Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
The line between a foreigner and American is blurred. Some have green cards. Some naturalize. Interviews don't always yield information about a persons citizenship. And we have laws that give protection to job seekers. Our employment laws do not favor Americans the way Canadian laws favor Canada's own. It'd be a lot to try to change those laws and businesses won't support it.

Anyone can become an American. Those who are hired as foreigners can become American several years later. My point is that your argument for prioritizing Americans is On a moving target. Who are Americans?

In the end, some individuals are winners and some are losers. It's hard to make it into an American versus foreigner thing.
An American is someone who has legal documentation to prove it. If a foreigner has legal documentation to prove he is American, he is American and no longer a foreigner.

I assume I am missing the point you are trying to make?

Old 02-08-2016, 11:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Sanders focus on things that matter to the american working and middle classes. his ideas are not all good or bad, it's a mix. But early on, he broke the "golden rule" by talking about how "open borders" is a right-wing dream.

both the left and the right have been pursuing essential open borders. the goal is complex.

1. bring in cheaper labor, suppress wages. well to do people pay less, become wealthier. the economic inequality widens.
2. divide the population, make it harder to organize and achieve solidarity, weaken democracy
3. restructure demographics to meet the demands of special interest groups.

but on a deeper level, it is to transform the once content first world into a survival mode where it must compete with the third world. rich and poor countries will meet in the middle. but the rich in these countries will become richer.

the left takes no action against this trend; in fact, it is making it easier. the Right pretends to fight such trend with "the wall" or whatever, but meanwhile seek to pass amnesty in favor of population growth.

Now. Sanders broke this golden rule. He questions the validity of more immigration; He wants corporations to make products in america; he wants the economic conversation to trump an overly racial discourse that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

the left's approach today is from the vintage point of the well to do liberal: i'm not affect by these trends. i make good money and i welcome these great things. my job isn't threatened. i get diverse food and have diverse friends. those lower class hooligans are just stupid. for lower class people, just throw money and create more programs, but no one cares about lifting these people up seriously, no one thinks about it seriously.

but sanders seems to want to "help" these people by tweeking the economic structure. the well to do mainstream liberal doesn't want that. they may well be aware that they are making the poor's lives harder, but oh well, throw more money.

sanders spoiled their game, people. he spoiled their game.
I don't agree 100%, but you're on to something.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
i agree that this is the democratic party status quo, often referred to as "limousine liberals", and that Sanders is in opposition to their worldview. The fact that Hillary was ever a serious candidate to begin with tells you that they never sought meaningful political or economic reform.

but some of this stuff you're saying about "transform the once content first world into a survival mode" is just nutty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections