Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:30 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The things he's proposing are fairly standard in Western Europe and Canada.
I keep hearing this from progressives. But we *aren't* Western Europe or Canada. We're the United States of America, and for better or worse, our nation is not governed the same as those countries, nor are our priorities the same as those countries. Instead of striving to be more like those countries, we ought to remind ourselves of the things that make our country great. Because I think far too many people have forgotten just how great America STILL is - they're too busy lost in a sentiment of the grass being greener on the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,240,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The Democratic Party is pretty corrupt as we saw in NH where Sanders blew Clinton away, yet their delegates were nearly the same.
False. Bernie took 15, Hillary got 9.

Were you referring to superdelegates? Those have not been awarded to anyone at this point in time, merely estimated based on how Democratic elected officials have endorsed candidates or otherwise indicated who they intend to support. The party structure has given them the power to cast in individual vote at the national convention for the past 32 years. They are specifically entitled to support the candidate of their choice and not bound by primary results in their own state or nationally. Historically, most superdelegates eventually end up casting their vote for the candidate with the majority of pledged delegates but since no one is casting any votes for several more months, this is basically just saying that Democratic officials shouldn't be allowed to endorse Hillary. How does that make any sense?

Old 03-04-2016, 10:40 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,982,329 times
Quote:
The things he's proposing are fairly standard in Western Europe and Canada.. You'd think he's proposing seizing control of the oil industry or something with the rhetoric against him. Santa Claus is a myth, universal health care is a very mainstream thing everywhere except the US.

Seems like your Santa Claus is Rush Limbaugh. He sells you and others a bunch of BS about how "extreme" someone like Bernie Sanders is and you buy it.
The problem is that people now days don't bother to read of even make basic arithmetic calculations

It's much easier to follow a politician who tells you he/she will make America great or whole again than bothering to check their agenda.

Those who claim Bernie Sanders is Santa Clause and wants to give away free stuff don't sound like they have even checked his proposals. If they had, they would be speaking about his Wall Street tax and convincing others why they think it's unrealistic. No, they just repeat one-liners from other politicians and radio hosts.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:42 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,977,057 times
Right wingers bemoaning "free stuff" usually grew up in the most social democratic time in America, in the 60s, when average tuition was $234, the New Dealer JFK was president, the minimum wage was the equivalent of $26 in 1968, tuition was free in public unis in California and America "was great again". Its ironic that the people who watch FOX remember fondly a time that Sanders is fighting for while they praise 40 years of Reaganomics where median male incomes have flatlined and been a disaster for them. This is the power of corporate propaganda. They are told to get distracted by "welfare queens" while they are getting ripped off from weakening of unions, weakening of anti-trust laws, erosion of minimum wage, anti-worker trade deals, deregulation of Wall Street, corporate welfare, bailouts, endless wars in the Middle East...the list just goes on and on how the average working stiff gets ripped off yet this must be ignored as FOX and talk radio tell them to ignore it.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,982,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Right wingers bemoaning "free stuff" usually grew up in the most social democratic time in America, in the 60s, when average tuition was $234, the New Dealer JFK was president, tuition was free in public unis in California and America "was great again". Its ironic that the people who watch FOX remember fondly a time which Sanders is fighting for while they praise 40 years of Reaganomics where median male incomes have flatlined and been a disaster for them. This is the power of corporate propaganda.
You have a point.

I still think we need to regulate tuition costs in private institutions. Also make sure institutions hire mostly full time faculty and not adjuct professors. The reality is we don't have enough public schools to accommodate every American.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:50 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,050,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I keep hearing this from progressives. But we *aren't* Western Europe or Canada. We're the United States of America, and for better or worse, our nation is not governed the same as those countries, nor are our priorities the same as those countries. Instead of striving to be more like those countries, we ought to remind ourselves of the things that make our country great. Because I think far too many people have forgotten just how great America STILL is - they're too busy lost in a sentiment of the grass being greener on the other side.
So that's what your response should be then. That's far different than saying "national health coverage is RADICAL from a RADICAL KOOK!!!"

No, it isn't. That's right wing BS.

So you want to keep paying extortion to make health insurance companies and Pharma company CEO's rich just so you can see "I ain't livin' in no EURO-PEE-ON country".

Makes no sense. And no, tort reform and being able to buy health insurance from Idaho are not going to change the situation no matter how many times Sean Hannity tells you it will.

Having national health coverage will not turn us into Europe. It will simply make the lives of most Americans better and give them more freedom to choose the job they want as opposed to having to chase health coverage, and it will also free up businesses in the same manner. It is not perfect but it's a better system than we have now.

However, believe the BS that it will turn us into Mao's China that you're being sold....again, out of spite, not rational.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,977,057 times
Going bankrupt because of cancer and having for-profit prison corporations who lobby politicians for more customers/inmates make America great apparently.

As FDR said in his acceptance speech 80 years ago, and it is just as relevant today:

Quote:
These economic royalists complain that we seek to overthrow the institutions of America. What they really complain of is that we seek to take away their power. Our allegiance to American institutions requires the overthrow of this kind of power. In vain they seek to hide behind the Flag and the Constitution. In their blindness they forget what the Flag and the Constitution stand for. Now, as always, they stand for democracy, not tyranny; for freedom, not subjection; and against a dictatorship by mob rule and the over-privileged alike.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=15314

Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times
Quote:
So that's what your response should be then. That's far different than saying "national health coverage is RADICAL from a RADICAL KOOK!!!"

No, it isn't. That's right wing BS.

So you want to keep paying extortion to make health insurance companies and Pharma company CEO's rich just so you can see "I ain't livin' in no EURO-PEE-ON country".

Makes no sense. And no, tort reform and being able to buy health insurance from Idaho are not going to change the situation no matter how many times Sean Hannity tells you it will.

Having national health coverage will not turn us into Europe. It will simply make the lives of most Americans better and give them more freedom to choose the job they want as opposed to having to chase health coverage, and it will also free up businesses in the same manner. It is not perfect but it's a better system than we have now.

However, believe the BS that it will turn us into Mao's China that you're being sold....again, out of spite, not rational.
I've voted Democrat my entire adult life. The fact that you came out swinging with such a huge assumption makes the rest of your anger-filled reply null and void with me. You could use some lessons in how to communicate with people without spitting your words out so angrily.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM

7,657 posts, read 8,731,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Bern comes off as a ranting, raving old kook. All he does is attack "the rich" and promise free stuff he has no way to pay for. Works for people that still believe in Santa Claus, but not for most adults. He's the left's equivalent of Trump, but without any accomplishments. Good for comic relief.
You didn't listen or you didn't understand what Bernie said. As I said, you were attracted too much to his white hair.

Quote:
This post is ridiculous. Like PCALMike, you rely on insulting fellow voters in an effort to defend your favorite candidate. Do you realize how petty and foolish that is? Calling people "dumbheads" doesn't elevate your own intellect. Attack the ideas, not the poster.
My post was in response to the irrespectful personal attack on Bernie.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:12 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,050,732 times
Quote:
I've voted Democrat my entire adult life. The fact that you came out swinging with such a huge assumption makes the rest of your anger-filled reply null and void with me. You could use some lessons in how to communicate with people without spitting your words out so angrily.
So in other words, I'm right, but you don't want to admit it. I'll admit I'm a bit frustrated with people who believe BS so easily. I get the same way when people tell me that the anti-illegal immigrant movement is "anti-immigrant". It isn't the same thing.

If you think national health care is a radical idea, you've bought right wing talking points. Where you heard them from I'm not sure, but you've bought them. If you think being opposed to illegal immigration is racist and anti-immigrant, you've bought Democrat talking points.

I just had the same reaction to a family member who called Bernie Sanders a "communist". If you want to say stupid s**t, I'm going to correct it. Not angrily, just matter of fact honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections