Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:53 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,452,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon & The Sky View Post
If the past d.c. caucuses are any indication, Rubio going to be nominee...
And your use of precedent is commendable. But alas, can you point out a precedent for this election?

El Nox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
And your use of precedent is commendable. But alas, can you point out a precedent for this election?
Quote:
Look at the past D.C. Caucuses........
Let us try this again ... do you see the highlighted portion?

El Nox

Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 AM

18,486 posts, read 15,291,316 times
Quote:
I would be willing to bet you or anyone else, the amount of money of your choosing, that Rubio will not be the nominee by votes. The only way he gets it is through the back door. This is a two man race with two dead men walking.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:24 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,833,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I would be willing to bet you or anyone else, the amount of money of your choosing, that Rubio will not be the nominee by votes. The only way he gets it is through the back door. This is a two man race with two dead men walking.
I hear he likes it through the back door.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:30 AM

35,246 posts, read 17,133,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
A little too late. Trump is the GOP’s Frankenstein monster.
Better late than never. And I don't think the timing of the GOP's enforcement of rules and principals will be on peoples' minds when they vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
That was Ross Perot's line ... but maybe you're too young.

El Nox
I was 35 and 39 during Perot's campaigns. It's an old expression.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "past d.c. caucuses." I am a Cruz supporter but Rubio would not be a horrible outcome.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,715,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Tony Parker
Treasurer, Republican National Committee
310 First Street, S.E.
Washington, DC 20003

P16
Republican National Committee
PO Box 96994
Washington, DC 20090-6994

Dear Mr. Parker:

I am writing in response to solicitation dated February 19, 2016, a copy of which I enclose. The solicitation was wrapped in an envelope inquiring “have you given up yet?” The answer is that I never give up on my country. However, I do give up on the Republican Party if it does not enforce its own rules concerning debate, and centuries-old custom regarding civility in campaigning. I am referring to the candidacy of Donald Trump. I make several points in this regard:

1. That I will under no circumstances donate in this election cycle if Donald Trump is the nominee;
  2. That I will under no circumstances donate in this election cycle if the Republican Party cancels the February 21, 2016 debate scheduled for Salt Lake City,
  3. That I will under no circumstances donate in this election cycle if the Republican Party does not enforce the rules on debates, namely, that all declared candidates attend scheduled debates. That rule should be enforced by not allowing the name of any non-attendee to be placed in nomination.

The rules were established, if I recall correctly, to curb abuses such as Jimmy Carter’s refusal to debate Edward Kennedy in the “Rose Garden Campaign” of 1980. We all saw what happened when Jimmy Carter was lured into debating Reagan that October, but I digress. Mr. Trump is dodging the debate(s) for tactical reasons; he fears going one-on-one with a debate champion with an Ivy League college and law school pedigree.

Donald Trump’s tactics have been a disgrace both to the Republican Party and this country. Personally, I have a nephew with arthrogryposis, the disease that Mr. Trump mocked at a press conference. But taking it away from the personal, we do not run campaigns with name calling, racial slurs, or comments on candidates’ personal appearance. Or size of their male member.

I expect the political parties to be “gatekeepers” in our great republic. This country is not a democracy or mobocracy for very good reasons. When our Founders designed the Constitution, France was already circling the drain for the bloodbath that would become the French Revolution. Thus, the Constitution was written to strip the mass of people from the ability to elect a head of state or a prime minister directly.

The Republican Party, in my view, has a responsibility to say “Donald Trump is not my people.” And, it must enforce its own rules concerning debates. And do so with courage.

Sincerely,

JBG

LOL! You didn't get the memo?

The establishment is toast! The republican party will never be the same(progressive)

Old 03-13-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
LOL! You didn't get the memo?

The establishment is toast! The republican party will never be the same(progressive)
There is nothing conservative about Donald Trump. He is a demagogue, pure and simple.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:43 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,557,191 times
Good letter, I'm sorry that the RNC was asking for a donation from you. I can't believe that anyone making under a couple hundred grand a year would send them a dime, considering that this party only represents people with six figure incomes.

I'm proud to send money to Bernie, I know where he gets his money, it's from people like me. I know where Republicans get their money, it's from Super PAC's and billionaires.

And really clueless working class whites.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I was 35 and 39 during Perot's campaigns. It's an old expression.
My bad for not using a smiley face.

El Nox

Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM

Now the GOP has dithered and drifted. Clearly they have a problem; Trump is likely to lose by a historic amount, and take downticket candidates with him. Trump's behavior hasn't improved since the Convention. If anything, it's worsened.

I think the duty of party leadership is to do things other than attend parties (of the cocktail variety). They are one of hte many filters that protects our Republic from demagogues. The system can't work if everyone "goes along to get along."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections