Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:36 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Not a big believer in democracy? Perhaps you'd rather be the democrats where one candidate is chosen for you?
Why don't you take the trouble to read the Constitution and a bit of 1780's and 1790's history. Then you decide if the French Revolution is your cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I know, the SLC debate is March 21, 2016. I am sure that if anyone bothers to read the letter (highly doubtful) they will understand the problem.
I fixed the typo in the letter before it went out.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Tony Parker
Treasurer, Republican National Committee
310 First Street, S.E.
Washington, DC 20003

P16
Republican National Committee
PO Box 96994
Washington, DC 20090-6994

Dear Mr. Parker:

I am writing in response to solicitation dated February 19, 2016, a copy of which I enclose. The solicitation was wrapped in an envelope inquiring “have you given up yet?” The answer is that I never give up on my country. However, I do give up on the Republican Party if it does not enforce its own rules concerning debate, and centuries-old custom regarding civility in campaigning. I am referring to the candidacy of Donald Trump. I make several points in this regard:

1. That I will under no circumstances donate in this election cycle if Donald Trump is the nominee;
  2. That I will under no circumstances donate in this election cycle if the Republican Party cancels the February 21, 2016 debate scheduled for Salt Lake City,
  3. That I will under no circumstances donate in this election cycle if the Republican Party does not enforce the rules on debates, namely, that all declared candidates attend scheduled debates. That rule should be enforced by not allowing the name of any non-attendee to be placed in nomination.

The rules were established, if I recall correctly, to curb abuses such as Jimmy Carter’s refusal to debate Edward Kennedy in the “Rose Garden Campaign” of 1980. We all saw what happened when Jimmy Carter was lured into debating Reagan that October, but I digress. Mr. Trump is dodging the debate(s) for tactical reasons; he fears going one-on-one with a debate champion with an Ivy League college and law school pedigree.

Donald Trump’s tactics have been a disgrace both to the Republican Party and this country. Personally, I have a nephew with arthrogryposis, the disease that Mr. Trump mocked at a press conference. But taking it away from the personal, we do not run campaigns with name calling, racial slurs, or comments on candidates’ personal appearance. Or size of their male member.

I expect the political parties to be “gatekeepers” in our great republic. This country is not a democracy or mobocracy for very good reasons. When our Founders designed the Constitution, France was already circling the drain for the bloodbath that would become the French Revolution. Thus, the Constitution was written to strip the mass of people from the ability to elect a head of state or a prime minister directly.

The Republican Party, in my view, has a responsibility to say “Donald Trump is not my people.” And, it must enforce its own rules concerning debates. And do so with courage.

Sincerely,

JBG
I didn't write a letter but I do have the same feeling. I did donate a little a few months ago, but am holding out to see who gets the nomination.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:15 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Send copies to more than one place.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OP, when Obama won his second term, Reince Priebus came out and said that republicans now favored amnesty for illegals, making them no different from the dems. When the RNC called us and asked us to join and contribute, I gave them an earful. I told them that as long as they were for amnesty, they would never get a cent from me. Plus I let them know that as a person of Hispanic descent, I was insulted to learn that they were so out of touch that they thought they could get my support that way. The person on the phone admitted to me that I wasn't the first one to tell him that. He then proceeded to try to convince me to join so my money could be used to fight that faction of the party. I was born at night but not last night. Needless to say, it was yet another failed tactic.

If anything, should Trump become the nominee, the RNC needs to stand behind him---that is, if they don't want to bleed any more members and donors.
The RNC is in a rough place at this juncture. See, if they have a way of preventing Trump from being the nominee and they don't, they will be bleeding members and donors. It would be my sign to finally make the leap to the Libertarian Party. I guess the end result is that they will lose one of us, it is just a question of who.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Send copies to more than one place.
Any suggestions on to whom to send it? I'm all ears.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The RNC is in a rough place at this juncture. See, if they have a way of preventing Trump from being the nominee and they don't, they will be bleeding members and donors. It would be my sign to finally make the leap to the Libertarian Party. I guess the end result is that they will lose one of us, it is just a question of who.
The problem is lack of courage. Trump is at best a demagogue. They need to prevent his nomination and let the chips fall where they may.

It may not be so bad for them; Hillary and Bernie are not impressive candidates.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:13 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you read my post, they lost me already.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:43 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:

The Republican Party, in my view, has a responsibility to say “Donald Trump is not my people.” And, it must enforce its own rules concerning debates. And do so with courage.G
A little too late.

Trump is the GOP’s Frankenstein monster.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:44 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,157 times
Quote:
I'm all ears.
That was Ross Perot's line ... but maybe you're too young.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections