Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:20 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Still in it? He's in the race to the same extent Rubio, Romney, bush, and myself are. Mathematically impossible to win the primary by receiving majority of delegates from the voting population - now his hope lies on convincing political insiders to pledge their support. I could show up at the RNC and do the same thing.
You could. But you won't.
He will. I don't know that he will ever make his dream come true, but he'll be there, and that's the subject here. Not you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 01:18 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
John Kasich is still in the race. There is no way he can win outright but he's still in.
By the time the primary wraps up, Kasich argues, the only thing that will count in electability. And in that area, Kasich shines. So he's staying because in a convention fight he just MIGHT come out ahead.
And I gotta say, with the "wife wars" going on, he might be right! Everyone else looks like a donkey (no offense; they are fine animals).

So here's the question:
Democrats, could you vote for Kasich? I know you've got your heart set on a Democrat, but could you be satisfied with Kasich if something went wrong with your favorite?

Republicans, Your thoughts, too.
I could vote for Kasich if it came down to it. He's really only in the race to siphon off delegates from Trump for the establishment republicans so they control the nomination process. Cruz can't do it alone and Kasich pulls 15, 23 percent in states that apportion out delegates.
If they do nominate someone else instead of Trump at the convention, it most likely won't be Kasich. More like Jeb!!!. the consumate moderate that will broaden the field of potential voters. Right wing TPers think their numbers are huge but they are a fraction of the republican electorate and the republican electorate are just a fraction of the entire voting public. the're just louder than anybody else.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:22 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
I'm an independent and Kasich would be the only Republican of the remainder three that I would consider voting for.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:35 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Sadly, Kasich's stance on women's rights is abysmal. So no.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:19 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
A Kasich nomination would destroy the GOP and set them back by another decade. It is a non-starter and he will never get the nomination in a contested convention since it would destroy the legitimacy of the Republican party.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
He's the least repellant of the surviving GOP candidates, but it's extremely unlikely he'd ever get my support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit
Kasich is too moderate for me. There is no way Hillary or Bernie will win so the Republicans should nominate the most conservative candidate. Why compromise when they (Republicans) don't have to.
Did you forget the sarcasm tag? Either Hillary or Bernie will completely obliterate Cruz or Trump in a general election.

Perhaps you could get a gig as the next Dick Morris, arguing against the overwhelming evidence that neither Cruz nor Trump stand a chance.

Unfortunately for the Republican party, if they deny the nomination to Cruz or Trump, they'll still get destroyed.

This is a very bad year to be a Republican. They have no path out of the horrible situation they put themselves in. There's really nothing they can do except hope the bloodbath doesn't spill over to the house and senate races too much. It's really quite embarrassing for them that they've chosen such poor candidates that they can't even mount a serious challenge to someone like Clinton.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:18 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This is a very bad year to be a Republican. They have no path out of the horrible situation they put themselves in. There's really nothing they can do except hope the bloodbath doesn't spill over to the house and senate races too much. It's really quite embarrassing for them that they've chosen such poor candidates that they can't even mount a serious challenge to someone like Clinton.
^^^ Nailed it.
I'm a Clinton supporter who would love an authentic GOP candidate, one who would crystallize the issues and add to a civilized debate. A genuine anti-Clinton candidate would imo elevate the discussion and challenge my beliefs.
Instead - well, like I said you nailed it.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:26 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This describes me too. Guys, take a look at your party. It's a stinking hot mess. I would like to have options at the voting booth, but since I'm a not a conspiracy theorist, a bigot or a billionaire I can only vote Democrat for now. Trump may have finally woken up the sane elements of the GOP, and they make take action to reform the party into a respectable organization, but it's going to take time. It's not going to happen in this decade. Check back with me in 2024 when Hillary Clinton is wrapping up her second term.
And you don't think the democrats are a "stinking hot mess"?

You must be too young to remember when democrats truly looked out for the poor, working and middle classes. Those dems of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either being displaced in the workforce or seeing their wages depressed due to illegal immigration. And those dems of yore would have done something about it, too---and I don't mean amnesty.

I grew up in a very blue state hearing stories from my parents and grandparents about how much the dems did for the poor, working and middle classes. As a result, I was a staunch democrat for years---that is until I began noticing that the dems were fighting tooth and nail for illegal aliens at the expense of Americans. I remember when libs were all about ZPG (zero population growth). Many libs decided not to have children because they were concerned as to the negative effects of overpopulation. Somewhere along the line, the dems did a 180. Currently, we allow 1 million legal immigrants per year into this country, with no thought as to what the effect will be on the environment and natural resources. When anyone talks about reducing legal immigration and putting a stop to illegal immigration, dems are the ones fighting hardest to prevent any of that from happening.

And, no, I'm no a republican. In 2012, the RNC called us and asked us to join, I gave them an earful as to why I would never do so---starting with Priebus pushing to amnesty illegals. The person on the other end of the phone told me that I wasn't the first to tell him that. Of course, he then tried other tactics---that didn't work.

Neither party is looking out for Americans. However, at one time I knew that I could expect dems to do so. Today's dems have really lost their way.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:39 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And you don't think the democrats are a "stinking hot mess"?

You must be too young to remember when democrats truly looked out for the poor, working and middle classes. Those dems of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either being displaced in the workforce or seeing their wages depressed due to illegal immigration. And those dems of yore would have done something about it, too---and I don't mean amnesty.

I grew up in a very blue state hearing stories from my parents and grandparents about how much the dems did for the poor, working and middle classes. As a result, I was a staunch democrat for years---that is until I began noticing that the dems were fighting tooth and nail for illegal aliens at the expense of Americans. I remember when libs were all about ZPG (zero population growth). Many libs decided not to have children because they were concerned as to the negative effects of overpopulation. Somewhere along the line, the dems did a 180. Currently, we allow 1 million legal immigrants per year into this country, with no thought as to what the effect will be on the environment and natural resources. When anyone talks about reducing legal immigration and putting a stop to illegal immigration, dems are the ones fighting hardest to prevent any of that from happening.

And, no, I'm no a republican. In 2012, the RNC called us and asked us to join, I gave them an earful as to why I would never do so---starting with Priebus pushing to amnesty illegals. The person on the other end of the phone told me that I wasn't the first to tell him that. Of course, he then tried other tactics---that didn't work.

Neither party is looking out for Americans. However, at one time I knew that I could expect dems to do so. Today's dems have really lost their way.
You got that right. The Dems have a poor choice - so poor that most Democrats aren't voting at all. Time after time the GOP voters outnumber the Dem voters.
I hope that we eventually coalesce behind someone.

I want a solid conservative administration in 2017, but if I can't have that I'd rather have President Bernie than President Hillary. Bernie won't get anything done; Hillary might actually get backing for her ideas!

Old 03-26-2016, 10:46 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Sanders/Kaisch 2016!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections