Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:23 PM

326 posts, read 675,886 times

Advertisements

How about this for a quick and easy test / reality check:

1. Do I trust this Presidential candidate to represent me and my country in a mature, respectful and intelligent way both at home and abroad?

2. When I take away 50% of all campaign promises/demands made by any given candidate, which candidate looks more reasonable and realistic?

What I mean by this is that even if you think (for example) that a minimum wage of 15 bucks is not realistic, how about 10 or 12 dollars an hour? If you think free college for all is not achievable, how about much more affordable college education for all? You get the idea. Similar tests can be applied to the more "radical" Republican positions.

Do you think those simple questions are relevant and useful? How would you answer them? Will your answers affect how you are likely going to vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:45 AM

326 posts, read 675,886 times
I'm kinda surprised that nobody has responded to this. I still think the questions are a simple and effective way of determining how suitable a candidate may be. Perhaps my suggestion is not confrontational enough and doesn't lend itself to the usual partisan bickering....

Old 04-10-2016, 07:01 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,350,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post

1. Do I trust this Presidential candidate to represent me and my country in a mature, respectful and intelligent way both at home and abroad?

2. When I take away 50% of all campaign promises/demands made by any given candidate, which candidate looks more reasonable and realistic?

What I mean by this is that even if you think (for example) that a minimum wage of 15 bucks is not realistic, how about 10 or 12 dollars an hour? If you think free college for all is not achievable, how about much more affordable college education for all? You get the idea. Similar tests can be applied to the more "radical" Republican positions.

Do you think those simple questions are relevant and useful? How would you answer them? Will your answers affect how you are likely going to vote?
These questions are all well and good but people vote based on emotions.

Democratic politicians know and understand this far better than Republican politicians. That's why they push the class warfare/rich don't pay fair share, war on women, racism, etc. narratives. It has worked in the past and will work again so why fix what isn't broken?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:41 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,236,503 times
You should worry more about how to overthrow Dictator Merkel.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:00 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,237,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
You should worry more about how to overthrow Dictator Merkel.
I'm going to have to second this. She has bullied her way into creating the biggest threat to European stability since WWII, and one we can't protect you from. Watching what has happened in Europe, thanks to her, is no small part of the reason people are seriously considering voting a buffoon in as our president. If Trump wins Merkel is part of the blame.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:06 AM

6,403 posts, read 4,136,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm going to have to second this. She has bullied her way into creating the biggest threat to European stability since WWII. Watching what has happened in Europe, thanks to her, is no small part of the reason people are seriously considering voting a buffoon in as our president. If Trump wins Merkel is part of the blame.
Haha, I don't think you're being dramatic enough.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:17 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,237,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Haha, I don't think you're being dramatic enough.
Me, either.

Seriously, the refugee crisis over there has not played well on our nightly news and it is a threat to the European way of life. Most Americans watch this and are appalled at the thought of it coming to America also. There are a couple of countries for which this refugee issue is about to be the final straw that broke the camel's back, the gateway countries in particular. The crime increase statistics, especially sexual attacks, don't help alleviate those fears, for sure.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,608,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post

I've already asked and answered these questions to myself and yes - it impacts how I'm going to vote.

Clinton is the answer to Bernie's excesses.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:39 AM

34,299 posts, read 15,722,166 times
I've narrowed it down more than 50 % to just one issue. If each candidate just did one thing they say they will do. What is the one thing that would have the most positive impact on the country ?
Control the southern border. It would have so many overlapping positive advantages.
1) jobs
2) economy
A. schools
B. healthcare
3) crime
A. drugs
B. vehicle: hit and run, homicide

"GO TRUMP" or live in a 3rd world dump

Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,072,354 times
Maybe there haven't been many answers because the questions are worded strangely or maybe many of us have more important issues on our minds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections