Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times

Advertisements

Commentators have noted Mr. Trump's recent pivot to appear more presidential and to refrain from unfiltered tweets and personal attacks. I think it's working for him.

For the general election, if Hillary wins the nomination, she would need to pivot back to the center somewhat, as she had to move to the left in her primary fight with Bernie.

How effective are these pivots in rehabilitating a candidate for the general election? Do the electorate typically forget everything that transpires before the pivot?

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,735 times
Very effective. Look at Hillarys career of flip flopping and she still gets votes.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
As Hillary moves closer to center for the general, she will be moving further away from Bernie supporters that are far to the left. The real question (other than the obvious) is how many Bernie supporters will stay home in November.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
As Hillary moves closer to center for the general, she will be moving further away from Bernie supporters that are far to the left. The real question (other than the obvious) is how many Bernie supporters will stay home in November.
All of them, including Bernie himself. I don't see him even doing one of those fake PR endorsements for cankles.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
I think it highly depends on who is doing it. Obama was allowed to do it with impunity while Romney was stuck with super glue to every word, blink, and nod he made. Trump is allowed to do or say whatever he pleases right now, it's going to get real ugly if he ends up running against Hillary.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:12 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
His pivot comes off as disingenuous, largely because it is. I doubt undependents, women, and minorities will buy into the kinder, gentler Trump should he win the nomination. His name is too closely aligned with hate politics for him to soften his tone and expect Americans to buy into it.

In fact, now that Trump has won decisively in NY, I expect him to go back to his brazen buffoonish self for the next few weeks at least. Wisconsin sapped the clown's mojo, but it should be back with a vengeance.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:31 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
His pivot comes off as disingenuous, largely because it is. I doubt undependents, women, and minorities will buy into the kinder, gentler Trump should he win the nomination. His name is too closely aligned with hate politics for him to soften his tone and expect Americans to buy into it.

In fact, now that Trump has won decisively in NY, I expect him to go back to his brazen buffoonish self for the next few weeks at least. Wisconsin sapped the clown's mojo, but it should be back with a vengeance.
You use words like hate politics, buffoonish, clown mojo, yet you support the most corrupt politician in our lifetime. I'll take Trump, Cruz or Kasich any day over the sleazy corrupt Hillary.

I'm going to enjoy watching Trump destroy Hillary in the general.

TRUMP 2016

Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Commentators have noted Mr. Trump's recent pivot to appear more presidential and to refrain from unfiltered tweets and personal attacks. I think it's working for him.

For the general election, if Hillary wins the nomination, she would need to pivot back to the center somewhat, as she had to move to the left in her primary fight with Bernie.

How effective are these pivots in rehabilitating a candidate for the general election? Do the electorate typically forget everything that transpires before the pivot?

Mick
The "pivot" is a Media construct, and the electorate tends to believe whatever the Media tells them to believe. Obama did so many pivots that he couldn't tell up from down. Clinton will have a problem with moving away from Bernie - she needs those Kiddos, and they already don't like her.

Romney was terrified of the Media, Trump doesn't give a darn about them - that's a big advantage for Trump.
To a certain extent, all Candidates run a different campaign in the general, but this year is different because all the candidates are so polarizing.

You notice that the Media hing the word pivot on Trump because he used the word Senator. That alone should indicate how nutty the Media has become.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 PM

953 posts, read 842,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
... In fact, now that Trump has won decisively in NY, I expect him to go back to his brazen buffoonish self for the next few weeks at least. Wisconsin sapped the clown's mojo, but it should be back with a vengeance.
His inner volcano will be ready to erupt soon enough. He is incapable of restraint and dignified behavior over any extended period of time. He is going to try and keep things under control until his order of new suits arrives. For years, he purchased them from BB (Brooks Brothers) ... then he switched his allegiance to another BB (Barnum & Bailey).

If the suit fits, wear it.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:00 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
His inner volcano will be ready to erupt soon enough. He is incapable of restraint and dignified behavior over any extended period of time. He is going to try and keep things under control until his order of new suits arrives. For years, he purchased them from BB (Brooks Brothers) ... then he switched his allegiance to another BB (Barnum & Bailey).

If the suit fits, wear it.
I see Hillary is still ordering custom clothing courtesy of Omar The Tentmaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections