Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:50 PM

19,818 posts, read 9,381,719 times

Advertisements

With so many vehemently anti-HRC and vehemently anti-Trump voters within these candidates' respective parties, if it IS Trump vs. Clinton in November, I just wonder how many people will cross over to vote for the other party. (In other words, how many people who traditionally vote Democrat will vote for the Republican rather than choose Clinton, and how many people who usually vote Republican will vote for Clinton rather than choose Trump.)

Or do you think most people will vote for a third party, write in "their" candidate, or just not vote at all?

Does anyone have any thoughts, projections, etc. about this?

Also, if you are (at least mostly) a Democrat who "hates" HRC or an (at least mostly) Republican who "hates" Trump, how do you now think you would vote -- or not vote -- in a Trump vs. Clinton election?

Last edited by katharsis; 04-21-2016 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 02:55 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
I'm a Democrat. I won't vote for Hillary Clinton under any circumstance. I'll vote for Trump if he is the nominee. If the GOP takes that away from Trump, then I'll vote 3rd party.

Anyone, who votes the party, regardless of the candidate, isn't thinking.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:57 PM

19 posts, read 239,707 times
Both Hilary and Trump are trash candidates. I will not vote for either. Trump moreso than Hilary. So I will either write in or vote third party.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:05 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,843,122 times
I tend to vote Republican and am an active member of the party. If Donald is the nominee, I won't vote for a Presidential candidate this year.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,512 times
I think due to his comments about Mexicans, there will definitely be some crossover votes against Trump by Hispanic Republicans. There are a number of non-Mexican Hispanics who found Trump's comments about Mexicans offensive. Incidentally, this afternoon I did some grocery shopping at a Hispanic supermarket chain that's located in a mostly Hispanic neighborhood with a heavily Hispanic clientele. Outside the store, there was a woman from an organization which helps people register to vote. As people walked into the store, she'd ask them if they are registered to vote.

I'd say the overall anti-Trump movement is very strong, and I'd guesstimate that there are many nationwide drives similar the one I saw today, to try get Hispanic people registered to vote (against Trump of course).

Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Establishment Republicans will cross over for Hillary. Don't think many true Dems would cross over to vote for Cruz or Trump due to their views on immigration and abortion.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:26 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
I only joined the Dem Party to vote for Bernie. I'll vote for Jill Stein. Use to always vote for Republicans, but can't die to their stance on women's rights, the poor, healthcare, abortion, and the environment.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:29 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
I am a Republican, so I will vote for Trump. If it is Cruz vs Clinton, I think I will vote for cruz

Old 04-21-2016, 04:32 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I think due to his comments about Mexicans, there will definitely be some crossover votes against Trump by Hispanic Republicans. There are a number of non-Mexican Hispanics who found Trump's comments about Mexicans offensive. Incidentally, this afternoon I did some grocery shopping at a Hispanic supermarket chain that's located in a mostly Hispanic neighborhood with a heavily Hispanic clientele. Outside the store, there was a woman from an organization which helps people register to vote. As people walked into the store, she'd ask them if they are registered to vote.

I'd say the overall anti-Trump movement is very strong, and I'd guesstimate that there are many nationwide drives similar the one I saw today, to try get Hispanic people registered to vote (against Trump of course).
I am afraid you're mistaken. Republicans who are African-American or Hispanic would support Mr. Trump. I don't necessarily understand the mentality, but listening to Ben Carson talking about how Harriet Tubman should not be on the new $20 bill might offer a glimpse.

Mick

Old 04-21-2016, 04:37 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I only joined the Dem Party to vote for Bernie. I'll vote for Jill Stein. Use to always vote for Republicans, but can't die to their stance on women's rights, the poor, healthcare, abortion, and the environment.
It's your vote, but read what you just wrote. I have no idea how voting for Dr. Stein (or Gary Johnson) would do anything to fight for the causes you enumerated. But it's a free country, and Democrats would not have had your vote anyway.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections